"The Muppets" debut at Number 1 in DVD sales

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Still, I wonder how much they're going to make in rentals when this thing hits RedBox and Netflix. That may be an even greater indication of how the movie does.
I've never seen a Disney Movie on RedBox or Netflix, I don't think it's even gonna get there. For some reason Disney NEVER puts their stuff on these kinds of things and their movies always stays on the shelfs, they never end up in the $5 section

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never seen a Disney Movie on RedBox or Netflix, I don't think it's even gonna get there. For some reason Disney NEVER puts their stuff on these kinds of things and their movies always stays on the shelfs, they never end up in the $5 section
Muppets is at Redbox, as well as lots of other Disney movies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, that's studio meddling. There's a LOT of insane politicking behind that. I actually think I heard Disney pulled stuff from Netflix, I'm guessing because they didn't accept an offer that's way too generous to begin with.

Still, you'd think with such a warm reception of the DVD release, Disney would have at least created some more merchandise to co-incide with them. It's such a waste that they don't have Muppet Bean bag plushes yet, and I keep seeing unsold "that porcupine from Toy Story 3" just sitting there, unwanted.

On a plus side, they did restock the movie released plush toys.

Alvin

Reaction score
I think that's just because of Disney being such a prestige company. They don't want to get involved into the politics of Netflix and Redbox...They wouldn't make any money off it anyway, unless they would pay royalties to Disney. Not sure how all that works, but that would be my guess.

Avilos

Reaction score
Sony only has home video distribution rights to Muppets Take Manhattan, Muppets from Space, and Kermit's Swamp Years.

But I doubt they own the actual movies. Whenever the deal with Sony expires, which predates the sale to Disney, those rights will be returned to The Jim Henson Company. Which will fall under the Disney deal, so than Disney will have the complete rights.

Anyone know more about. This is speculation based on similar situations. But Sony only released the second two films I listed. But owned by the Hensons right? Of course Sony had nothing to do with the actual production of Muppets Take Manhattan.... EDIT or am I wrong on that part.... Tri-Star did release the film originally, Tri-Star is owned by Sony now. I always assumed Jim owned his own films even if distrusted by studios. How does Disney have the rights to the first two films, and not those studios???

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure MTM and MFS are wholly owned by Sony, guys. And probably always will be.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Disney seems to be okay streaming disney channel material on Net Flix..Phineas and ferb is surprisingly up to date (episodes premiere less than a month after they air sometimes). The Disney movies like Toy Story 3 and Tangled that were on NetFlix were through Starz which has ended their contract with Net Flix so it was third party kind of. Anyways I can see the logic of Disney wanting their shows on Net Flix as most of them never get released as full seasons and Disney also realizes that they make a lot of money off of merchandising an their a quite a few housholds like mine that do not get cable because Net Flix is cheaper. Stillnot expecting to see Muppets or any other major disney movie streaming on there anytime soon. They did have Muppets from space once upon a time though.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
They've got loads of Muppet stuff on NetFlix. The main items I see missing are MCC and any Muppets Chrismas specials. They even have Henson's Place for rent! Disney's doing the Muppets proud.