"The Muppets" debut at Number 1 in DVD sales

bknatchbull

Reaction score
Hello,

Great news!

'The Muppets' Debuts at No. 1 on DVD Sales Chart

"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and "Hop" are among the week's new releases.

Walt Disney Studios topped the national home video sales charts the week ending March 25 with The Muppets, a family film that grossed $88.6 million in theaters and generated a surprising 52 percent of its first-week sales from Blu-ray Disc.

The Muppets debuted at No. 1 on both the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert sales chart, which tracks overall disc sales, and Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc chart. The film also debuted at No. 4 on Home Media Magazine’s weekly video rental chart, behind Sony Pictures’ The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo at No. 1, Universal Studios’ Tower Heist, fresh off its 28-day rental moratorium, at No. 2, and the Sony Pictures comedy Jack and Jill at No. 3.

The acclaimed Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, which took in $102.5 million in U.S. theaters, debuted at No. 2 on both sales charts, moving 78 percent as many units as The Muppets, Nielsen data shows.

Bowing at No. 3, also on both sales charts, was the Universal Studios’ Hop, an Easter Bunny film that grossed $108.1 million at the box office.

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo generated 55 percent of its first-week sales from Blu-ray Disc, while for Hop the tally was 36 percent.

Warner’s Happy Feet Two, the No. 1 seller the previous week, dropped to No. 6 on First Alert, behind Paramount’s The Adventures at Tintin at No. 4 (down from No. 2) and 20th Century Fox’s newly released comedy The Sitter ($30.4 million box office) at No. 5.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/the-muppets-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-dvds-305485

Drtooth

Reaction score
I had a feeling it would. There's a local chain that sells DVD's, and it was #1 in their top 20. But I wonder if that was just sales in their stores. So worldwide, it's got over $100 mil, and the DVD/Blu-Ray sales are healthy. Too bad it doesn't say exactly how many units that The Muppets sold, and it doesn't also include rentals. But I had a feeling it would hit big on home video.

Borples

Reaction score
It's not a surprise, but it sure is great news. You know what this means, don't you? This is the part where we start to reel in all the little kids and turn them into raving Muppet fans. Bwahahaha. :crazy:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
now with this news they may release the Muppet Show season 4-5!

Alvin

Reaction score
The Best Buy where I work...cannot keep lunchboxes...they had to order more and they even went above the normal order and ordered 25 for my store! That is 20 more than they originally got!!