Muppet or Man?

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------------
Last night, although the entire song of "Man or Muppet" had me laughing (especially the cameo for Walter as a man), the song stuck in my head and I've been pondering it since, even in my sleep. Walter is of course Us, and beautifully done; I'm betting, given what little I've learned about others around here and what people have chosen to reveal of themselves, that many of us do also feel we don't fit in anywhere, that we're...different. Now, like the man Jobs said, Different Is Good, but all the same...when you're different and on your own, it's rough.

Sure, I have friends, we all have 'em. At the very least we know other Muppaphiles here! But I've seen many a post from someone who gets laughed at in their school or workplace or even family for dreaming, for hoping, for doodling or playing or dancing or liking Muppets. "Life's a Happy Song" is a wonderful piece, probably THE standout song in the film, especially the ending rendition...but that ending made me a little sad, and introspective. Yeah, life IS great when you have someone around to share it with, be it a love or a good friend. But sitting alone in the theatre last night -- the only one who came to that showing in full costume, too, though a couple of people wore cool shirts -- it made me more aware of the fact I was indeed alone.

No, I'm not wallowing. I have a lot to be thankful for, and much to do before I'm ready to check out of this hotel, and I hear the clock ticking often. Just wondering when or if I'll meet someone who embodies the perfect someone. I'm not waiting for a prince (you GO Piggy!) but all the same I do have to wonder if I'm ever going to find someone, much less somewhere, which I feel at home with. Accepted by, understood, welcomed -- and can feel all that for the other person in return.

There was -- no joke -- a shooting star which sped over the movie theatre right as I was driving up to it last night. Yes of course I made a wish! I believe in Muppets, in dreaming, in thoughts as well as actions making a difference. I'm a cynic who wishes I didn't have to be cynical about most of the world. I don't talk about these things with anyone anymore. Being more or less anonymous here gives me a little courage. No, I'm not casting a net and hoping some perfect person will see this and jump into it! Miss Scarlett ain't nevah gonna be no size six again, and this Newsie knows better than to pin hopes on longshots. I'm posting this because I get the impression others here also feel this way...like Walter, knowing they're different but not daring to dream of finding their happy place, contenting themselves with what is real and in front of them, which may be adequate but is never ideal. Good for Walter to be able to find the Muppets and live his dream! May we all be so lucky, figuratively speaking.

Sympathy extended for anyone else who heard the song and felt the same, silly though others will surely regard it.
------------------------------

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
You literally right there just described how I feel. Y'know,I've been a Muppet fan practically my whole life so far. I started off as a little kid watching Sesame Street then it grew into a love for the Muppet movies and I even started watching videos of The Muppet Show. I was picked on a lot in middle school, not because I like d the muppets. It just made me fear that if I said I liked the muppets, I'd be even more laughed at. So, I didn't say anything. All I knew was that those kids thought that the Muppets were for babies or little kids. I didn't want to be made fun of for that. I am now a junior in high school and for the past couple of years, barely anyone knows I'm a Muppet fan. But, this movie has changed that for me. This week, I'm on Thanksgiving break and I've officially come out as a huge Muppet fan. I've been posting all over my facebook page about how much I love them! I know that this movie has led to me being able to talk to people about the Muppets. I know that now, in this new world, people will have different views on the Muppets. There won't be so many preconceived notions about the Muppets. I'm sure I'll still be picked on because of my fandom but I'm okay with that now. Because I know that the Muppets will always be there. As Walter stated in the beginning of the movie, the world isn't so bad when there's Muppets. I just want to thank Jason Segel and the whole Muppets crew for giving me a new hope in the Muppets.

Okay, ranting over. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But I've seen many a post from someone who gets laughed at in their school or workplace or even family for dreaming, for hoping, for doodling or playing or dancing or liking Muppets.
It's so funny, I was picked on a lot in school...but never for liking the Muppets! Lol. Even when I let it slip that I'd watched a Sesame Street special, people laughed but it was all in good fun. In 5th grade, some of my fellow students were already nostalgic for Muppet Babies, lol. And I used to recite dialogue from The Muppet Movie with my best friend at the time. It just wasn't considered that odd.

Puckrox

Reaction score
It's funny because I've become associated with the name "the girl who loves Muppets" at my school, and yeah, some find it odd, but most find it really lovely. I've had so many people thank me for bringing Muppets back into their lives, whether with my consistent rants, my constant sharing of TMS clips on facebook, and just embodying Muppet love. I'm glad I've had such good reactions.

That being said, I know what you mean, Newsie. Even though people don't poke (too much) fun at me for my obsession, it has made me feel different on more than one occasion. And we all get lonely and wonder if our perfect someone is out there. I verbally pine for one Mr. Jason Segel all the time, because he's exactly my idea of a guy I'd want in my life. Muppet obsessed, sweet, funny, humble, dorky... what's not to love? I hope we all find that someone. I've always believed we all have multiple people out there who we'd be perfect for, the problem is the whole meeting them part.

I hope you find your someone, Newsie. :smile:

dwmckim

Reaction score
I have very similar conflicting feelings about being a Muppet Freak as i do being a gay man.

I like to think that gay men have that Special Something that sets us apart, a bit more cultured, less crude/animalistic. When i think of straight men i think of guys belching; when i think of gay men i think of them talking about things in depth and being very sensitive towards others. But then reality hits when i spent any amount of time in huge social gatherings and the reality sinks in that gay men can be just a big of pigs (not the good Muppet brand of pigs of course) than straight men. As an overweight way-past-my-"Sell-By"-date man, i always feel like an outsider in both communities; discriminated against by straight society and shunned by gay society for not being a "10"...and for valueing friendship based relationships over sex-based ones etc.

I feel the same kind of conflicts about being a Muppet Freak. I love talking with others online but locally there's no one really like me in my corner of the country. I've often dreamed/wished for the perfect friend (could be a Best Friend, a boyfriend or some fuzzy spot in between) that shared the same basic values in life and was also a huge Muppet fan on top. But like just about any other dreams i've ever had in life, i've had to let go of the idea of it ever coming true.

What i really want is some melding of Jason Segel's characters from The Muppets and I Love You, Man!

Man or Muppet? Not really sure - can i answer "Muppet Monster" since that's what i relate to the most? Not a Lover and not a Dreamer (since dreams don't come true for the likes of me" so i guess i'm a "You" by default.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Me Too! When it got out that I'm a fan of The Muppets, it just went downhill from there, it's reall annoying how they judge those things so fast, the great thing about the Muppets is that it's something that appeals to kids and adults, but people in my school think it's only for four-year-olds

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I understand the idea about feeling different from other people for dreaming or goofing off or merely having different interests. After all, it's not often you find some gawky college student wandering around rocking a bright yellow Fraggle Rock t-shirt. But I can say I'm lucky enough to have found an amazing group of friends who, although we may not all share the same interests, we can appreciate and respect everyone's tastes and quirks. Still, sometimes I do feel a little self-conscious about my tastes and habits, especially around my family, as my newfound love for all things muppet-related has gotten a lot of raised eyebrows. I try not to let that kind of reaction bring me down because if it makes me happy then I don't really need any other justification to do something, but it's very hard not to be self-aware sometimes.

Newsie, I can relate to the longing for that "special someone" as well. As great as my friends are, sometimes I really wish I had somebody really nice to spend my time with. It's been hard for me on the "scene" in school because of the dynamite combination of being shy in social situations and being bisexual, which creates a strange confusion that often results in me willingly being a professional third wheel. But the older I get, the more comfortable I've become with myself, and slowly but surely, I'm beginning to feel more at ease with who I am. I have faith that someday I'll meet that special girl or guy who I can feel comfortable with and truly be myself around.

Think I rambled a little, but I hope that everyone around here can find whatever it takes to become happy with themselves and their dreams. I haven't been posting here for too long a time, but I can tell that you all are very nice people and that we can all share in the feeling of being a tad different and help each other feel at home!

beaker

Reaction score
@the original post made by newsmanfan:

You have beautifully articulated my every thought and emotion Newsfanman!
I think that's why ultimately I felt depressed seeing this movie, because it was so raw-nerve piercing and so real in a way. Yeah I felt the film went way over the top with the fantasy/4th wall breaking, but there was something un-deniable.

We're all lovers, dreamers, and weirdo whatnots here. We all can identitfy with Gonzo in some way as well as Walter.

Life is very odd...I like to think within the rich tableaux of life and the tapestry of memories that make up our individual narrative, things are meant to unfold when they do. I'm not religious, but that idea of fate keeps me going. Seemingly random disparate layers converging when they need to.

Since I was very little I felt and knew I was different. K-12 was horrendous. I was the only asian kid in a mostly all white school, and a financially poor person/nerd to boot. So I was always getting tormented in all forms you can imagine. Never had a single friend growing up really...so in the early 1980's through late 90's the muppets were definitely a major anchor and source of magic and inspiration. I remember spending hours as a child in waldenbooks reading through illustrated muppet and fraggle rock books. Heck I carried around a Fraggle Rock metal lunchbox in 3rd and fourth grade...and I was too poor to have even been able to watch the episodes(cable plus HBO, couldnt afford) So the cartoons were all I had.
By Jr year of high school, I stopped caring and just started dressing goth(back when noone knew what that was), punk. Even the freaks and geeks didnt care for me, but I was always kind, warm and eager to meet people on a similar wavelength.

Music, both underground and "alternative" was kind of one of my main things that helped me kind of further define myself. By the time the mid 90's hit, I was making comic books, lots of fanzines, had tons of snail mail penpals, discovered the internet, started going to a lot of clubs and concerts and conventions for nerds.
Was also going to college.

But I never really was accepted anywhere. Goths, punks, metal heads, indie kids, and artists didnt really warm up to me. Regular kids didnt know what to make of me. I always felt bad for people who have social awkwardness, aspergers, etc. Because Ive had enough of a hard time meeting people and expressing myself to folks, and Im pretty outgoing and through inhibition out the window a long time ago. But for Aspies/really shy or awkward people, my heart really goes out to them. I love to perform, entertain, brighten peoples day but sometimes it feels like we truly live in a cynical, jaded world. and it IS those wonderful moments when you meet cool people on a similar wavelength who get your goofy humor and personality that makes it all the more special.

I think in retrospect though, had I been raised or came into money...or had luck with girls, or had friends I absolutely would not have as much of a unique perspective or deep well to dip my creative ink as I do for my music/lyrics, animation, art, writing and other projects. I was one of those kids who was reading philosophy books in high school during lunch when other kids were out back smoking or talking about this or that...but I think theres always been an important role for folks like that in literature, pop culture, etc.

Look at Kristen Schaal, probably the cutest and warmest personality Ive ever seen with an actress. And people like Zooey Descehenel, Amy Adams, etc. More and more kind/genuine seeming actresses are being used more than the cynical mean bimbo types. Same with guys...for guys like me who never had an adonis physique, you have the more goofier guys like Jason Segel, Seth Rogen, Jack Black, etc becoming more and more celebrated.

But yeah, with all my nano fibres and being since I was maybe 10 or 11 I dreamt of meeting someone special who got me and we could be all dorky, creative and adventurous together. That was a long time ago...I always wore oddball shirts, jackets, pins, etc. in the hopes Id run into someone on that level. Ive met countless people that way on and offline, just randomly too at shows, shopping, what have you but it never seemed to materialize into anything. Sometimes it feels like girls in society are programmed to fall for the hunky a-hole jerk dbags...and that the "nice guys" are kind of unaware/unassertive to speak their mind. But I like to think everyone finds someone perfect for them...so the mean, cold Kristen Stewart types will find their man bimbos and the nerds will find their nerdettes. Admittedly I sometimes feel jealous seeing guys at conventions with cute nerd girls, but it also gives me hope.

Theres a lot to be grateful for, and while nothing I had wanted has panned out in terms of a job or success or love...in a way it has. I feel zen, I have no drama or baggage or much stress in my life. I like to think im where I need to be, and when the time is right fate will put things into place.
I realized, even for people like us that get discouraged after years of "waiting" and endless rejections/being relegated to the "friends" table...its better than being stuck in a deadend marriage or being with a bossy un-fun guy or girl. Id rather walk a thousand deserts than end up like that.

The new movie depressed me because it reminded me how cynical the world is, how unfair things are in the end...but that there is always hope.

beaker

Reaction score
I verbally pine for one Mr. Jason Segel all the time, because he's exactly my idea of a guy I'd want in my life. Muppet obsessed, sweet, funny, humble, dorky... what's not to love? I hope we all find that someone. I've always believed we all have multiple people out there who we'd be perfect for, the problem is the whole meeting them part.

I hope you find your someone, Newsie. :smile:
I dont really get crushes on famous people or actors, but indeed Jason Segel embodies that kind, warm sense of wonderment. I mean I believe it when he says he teared up seeing Kermit in person for the first time and how surreal this whole process has been.
I get that same vibe from Kisten Schaal, an actress I just recently found out about. Not many actresses, heck people in life seem to embody that fun, dorky warm atmosphere. Most girls in my area have this spoiled, kind of cold vibe going on and most the guys seem like clueless bros/jocks.

They say there is now 7 billion people. I like to believe if you focus on what you love in life and work on oneself(which people who are serial daters never seem to take the time to do) then fate will smile upon you in due time. I was 26 before I ever had anyone interested in me, and its been a few years since someone has but one must never lose faith. I like to think the Muppets keep us young!

I personally don't see how Muppet fans can be with non muppet fans...now I dont mean someone has to even know who Marvin Suggs and Thog is...but at least someone who lights up when they see the muppets. I know online some muppet fangirls and i always wonder how they can date someone who is kind of "meh" on the muppets, or not into the nerd/geek stuff they like.

Strangely Ive ran into randomly in person(from wearing my beaker and kermit shirt) a few college aged girls who said they were big muppet nuts(one who saw stuffed and unstrung) but they just seemed kind of, I dont know...I get kind of a bad vibe from hipsters, even tho everyone sees me as a hipster. You would think itd be easier to find someone in San Francisco(where Im at a lot) as well as other metro areas I spend time in but it just means more clusters of the same ol same ol

It's so funny, I was picked on a lot in school...but never for liking the Muppets! Lol. Even when I let it slip that I'd watched a Sesame Street special, people laughed but it was all in good fun. In 5th grade, some of my fellow students were already nostalgic for Muppet Babies, lol. And I used to recite dialogue from The Muppet Movie with my best friend at the time. It just wasn't considered that odd.
You're lucky! I've felt like Ive had to hide my Muppet love, much in the way someone might feel they have to hide their sexuality or religion. Its like someone can wear Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny...but theres a stigma with Kermit and the gang..."oh thats that old baby stuff...I remember muppet babies and sesame street".

But now hopefully more and more people will come out of the muppet closet to show their muppety pride!

beaker

Reaction score
I have very similar conflicting feelings about being a Muppet Freak as i do being a gay man.

I like to think that gay men have that Special Something that sets us apart, a bit more cultured, less crude/animalistic. When i think of straight men i think of guys belching; when i think of gay men i think of them talking about things in depth and being very sensitive towards others. But then reality hits when i spent any amount of time in huge social gatherings and the reality sinks in that gay men can be just a big of pigs (not the good Muppet brand of pigs of course) than straight men. As an overweight way-past-my-"Sell-By"-date man, i always feel like an outsider in both communities; discriminated against by straight society and shunned by gay society for not being a "10"...and for valueing friendship based relationships over sex-based ones etc.

I feel the same kind of conflicts about being a Muppet Freak. I love talking with others online but locally there's no one really like me in my corner of the country. I've often dreamed/wished for the perfect friend (could be a Best Friend, a boyfriend or some fuzzy spot in between) that shared the same basic values in life and was also a huge Muppet fan on top. But like just about any other dreams i've ever had in life, i've had to let go of the idea of it ever coming true.

What i really want is some melding of Jason Segel's characters from The Muppets and I Love You, Man!

Man or Muppet? Not really sure - can i answer "Muppet Monster" since that's what i relate to the most? Not a Lover and not a Dreamer (since dreams don't come true for the likes of me" so i guess i'm a "You" by default.
DUDE, yes! I hear you. There is unfortunately this perception and reality(especially having spent so much of my life in and around the San Francisco area) that
gay guys have to be very fit, very well dressed, well too do, snippy-snappy and quit with the wit. Married gay and lesbian people, or long term G/L couples seem so down to earth and happy...but we see this perception as you mentioned of the hip young cats.

I feel more at home with people gay or straight who are down to earth like you and the rest of the people we hung out with and met at Muppetfest.

For those who doesnt fit the hip young/fit/financially secure meme of gay maledom, I can imagine it feels like its really the outs.

In a way I feel like I can relate to gay outsiders at highschool or in a small city.
Ive never really had girls see me as more than a friend, so I feel like Ive almost had to be ashamed to have attraction. Hard to explain, but Ive always felt alien. Just growing up asian in an all white town that was kind of racist...I know things are different now. People are more accepting, and even toward gay people.