Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I haven't decided yet

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I'm still buying the set

Votes: 100 87.7%

• Total voters

Randlev

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere, and if it has, pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated, but I was wondering, is there any significant reason the episodes are not on the DVD in the order they were originally aired? Is it simply because the makers of the DVD tried to order the episodes in the most well-rounded, entertaining and satisfying way they could?

*edit: or perhaps they are in the correct order and I don't know what I'm talking about. Well, now I've gone and gotten myself all confused. Can anybody straighten things out for me?

Squigiman

Reaction score
They're in production order, and that's generally the order they are ordered by in most lists online, like at Bill Sherman's, Muppet Central's, and Scarecroe's. The main reason for this is that they aired in different orders, all over the place, so there's not really a definitive one. They do list the New York airings in the Morsels, which I think is cool, being a New Yorker, and feeling like it's really the place to go by, when it comes to America. We're just special like that. Otherwise, I do think and hope that, if they continue the theme for the packaging, they stick to the core five, with Fozzie or Piggy being next, then the other, then Gonzo, then Animal, or maybe Rowlf would be more appropriate for cool, fuzzy fun. He's also vintage Muppet, so he has seniority over Animal. Oh, thanks for the backup, Gorgon Heap.

-Squigiman

Stulz

Reaction score
DVD covers

I remember reading on Ulitmate Disney or somewhere that the stylized DVD covers would be in this order:

S1: Kermit -Green w/ lighter Green color
S2: Piggy - Pink w/ white pearls
S3: Fozzie - Brown w/ polka dot tie
S4: Gonzo - Purple tux
S5: Scooter - Green back of his jacket with Muppet Show Logo

Beauregard

Reaction score
I watched the Pitch Reel (which didn't really enthuse me that much, the lack of Kermit eally did loose it, *moan, moan* lol. The only bit in it that made me laugh was, "And Kermit's Mother will be happy.")

I wastched Sex and Violence, and I like it more than the Mupept Show. i loved that control room setting, and Nigal and Sam running things. I was upset with Animal being in a cage, but Crazy Harry sticking his head in the cealing was great. I wish they'd kept Nigal as a mainy, I loved him! And his voice is a very unique Jim voice.

Also The Jim Henson Puppet on Banjo at the end...*sniff*

KCJ506

Reaction score
Something I noticed in the Valerie Harper episode, when Rowlf & Sam sing *** Willow the second puppet version of Sam used. But later on when he introduces Wayne & Wanda the first version is used!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
more reviews

Squigiman said:
They're in production order, and that's generally the order they are ordered by in most lists online, like at Bill Sherman's, Muppet Central's, and Scarecroe's.
The last time I checked Bill Shermans site, the episodes were listed in alphabetical order for each season.

Anyway, I just got done watching the harvey Korman and Leena Horne episodes and would like to comment on them.

*Harvey Korman: a very funny episode. The chicken suit that harvey wore would be used as an actual muppet character in the Nancy Walker and Edgar Bergan episodes in season 2 (although it is not mentioned in the morsels). Harveys act with Thog is funny, as is kermits interview with Animal, Fozzies monologue, and wayne and wandas song. Also great are both electric mayhem numbers and the closing number. When Crazy harry appeared he sounded more like jerry nelsons Crazy Harry rather than John Loveladys, but nothing about this is said in the morsels. :confused: five stars.

*Leena Horne: the last of the first season episodes that I previously hadn't seen before buying this set. The RaggMopps are the highlight of the show. Also good are the u.k. spot and the closing number. one nitpick about the muppet morsels: while the morsels mention that Leena Horne had sung "being green" and "how do you do?" on Sesame Street, it doesn't mention the fact that she also sang the alphabet song on Sesame Street (this segment isn't mentioned in the episode guide for her on Muppet central either). Another interesting fact about the morsels is that it mentioned that Henson employees were not allowed to write scripts for the saturday Night Live muppet segments, but I've read that Jim Henson wrote one sketch (the one where Ploobis and Scred flirt with Raquel Welch). :confused: three stars.

two more to watch and i've wathced them all.

Squigiman

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess Bill does it differently, but if you go to his Muppography and Television Series, Juliet Prowse is first, and it mentions Connie as #2 and Rita as #5, despite not being ordered that way in the text. Also, Beau, you liked Sex & Violence better than the actual show??? That just sounds sorta crazy to me, not to call you personally "crazy".

-Squigiman

minor muppetz

Reaction score
the last review

I just finished watching every episode on the set and thought that i would wrap up my reviews:

*Twiggy: It is weird that Uncle deadley was introduced in this episode despite appearing in previous episodes. I don't remember the opening number from when I first saw this, but it was cool. The Kings Breakfast is good, as is "Nobodys Buisness but my Own". four stars.

*Ethel Merman: a really great episode, featuring the classic "Java" sketch, as well as a medley of Ethel mermans songs and a funny comedy act from Fozzie bear, in which more audience members (besides Statler and Waldorf) talk. But the main highlight is the closing number, "theres no buisness like show buisness". five stars.

*main menus: I thought it was weird that Statler and Waldorf spoke on the menus, since their performers are different from the ones who performed them on the series. I wodner if future sets will be like this, or if other characters will be used. It would be appropiate if Scooter told you how long untill the episode starst (after selecting one). it would give Rickey Boyd an opportunity to perform scooter. It would also be great if beauregard hosted a menu, or if Pops hosted the menu for season 5. four stars.

*muppet morsels: really good and well done, even though I already knew a lot of the information, and some information seems to get repeated in more than one episode, and there are mistakes. Inerestingly, on the morsels for the Ruth Buzzi and Kaye Ballard episodes, pa (from the goggolalla jubilee jugband) is mistakenly called "gramps", but in the Bruce Forsythe episode he is mistakingly called "granpa". However, I enjoy these. five stars.

anyway, this set was great. bring on season 2 (and 5)!

Ziffel

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
*muppet morsels: really good and well done, even though I already knew a lot of the information, and some information seems to get repeated in more than one episode, and there are mistakes. Inerestingly, on the morsels for the Ruth Buzzi and Kaye Ballard episodes, pa (from the goggolalla jubilee jugband) is mistakenly called "gramps", but in the Bruce Forsythe episode he is mistakingly called "granpa". However, I enjoy these. five stars.
I enjoyed these muppet morsels a lot and thought they were a great addition to this dvd set. I finished watching the last two episodes I had to watch on disc 1 (Joel Grey and Ruth Buzzi) and then viewed the Juliet Prowse one again but with the muppet morsels feature for the first time. Lots of great and interesting tidbits here that come repeatedly and help enhance the particular sketches. It's great that we can either watch these with or without the popup factoids. Now once I get finished with all four discs I can rewatch them again with the morsels. Something more to look forward to!Really impressive for Frank Oz to operate both snowths at a time and how the puppeteers looked at a monitor from down below to see what was happening facially above and how it showed left and right the opposite ways. And that's just the tip of the iceberg for the masterful skills of these great puppeteers! As I said, not only are these morsels interesting and fun, they enhance our appreciation for how the whole production was accomplished.
As for the Grey and Buzzi episodes themselves, I really enjoyed the robot Kermit and Fozzie's telling a joke based on whatever word someone says (Like when they were all silent, hoping Fozzie would not have any material to continue this joke act, he simply says, "Oh, you're all being quiet, huh? Quiet!" Then he tells the joke about the town that was so quiet that when the lights are turned off at night everyone says,'What was that?')!
Also, as always, thoroughly enjoyed the scenes with S&W, especially when they stumped Fozzie with the word amoeba (it'll be interesting to see what the muppet morsels would be during that bit. :smile: ).

David French

Reaction score
Squigiman said:
They're in production order, and that's generally the order they are ordered by in most lists online, like at Bill Sherman's, Muppet Central's, and Scarecroe's.
They are NOT in Production Order. The Production Order is different, as was pointed out in a thread I created which listed the taping order for all 120 episodes on the Classic Muppets board. My guess is that this is the order that the episodes were aired in originally in the UK.