Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

minor muppetz

Reaction score
While reading the second issue, there's one thing I've found a bit odd. It's when Gonzo is talking to a skull, and then somebody pulls the string up. It's a two-panel gag at the top of a page, leading to a somewhat unrelated backstage scene. The Muppet Show didn't really have these kind of blackout gags taking place backstage, so... Is that supposed to be the canteen, an unseen part of the backstage, or a different area? It very well could be the canteen (or the prop room), but we don't see enough of the room to know.

It seems like Langridge draws the backstage kind of big. Most backstage scenes in the comics don't show the upstairs much in the shots. Of course the panels are kind of small. But a lot of the backstage scenes seem to just show brick walls, and no upstairs balcony, stairs, or desk. it's a shame that Langridge doesn't decorate the backstage in each issue. Ma y episodes did have this area decorated differently.

I feel it's also a shame that Gaffer hasn't been drawn on the ledge next to the stairway (though, as I noted, the stairway has ahrdly been shown). I really hope that Gaffer makes an appearance soon. heck, I wonder if Langridge would be up to the challenge of drawing a comic book issue that features almost everybody from the show.

During the finale of issue 3, there are characters in the audience who look like Rowlf and Sweetums, and it seems like Rowlf otherwise doens't appear at all, despite being on the B cover. I also saw somebody in the audience who resembles Beaker, and I think I saw someone who looks like Sam from Sam and Friends.

In the recent interview, Langridge said he keeps trying to sneak in appearances by Bert and Ernie only to have them taken out. I wonder if he would be able tog et away with trying to sneak in more obscure Sesame Street characters like Don Music or Bruno.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Amazon has information on the first collection of four issues. It will come out on september (I think the 29th, but I could be wrong), and it will be available in both hardcover and paperback.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder if the date of release of the next issues have been announced yet. It's been about a month since the last Robin Hood...

JEANYLASER

Reaction score
I love it! And I can't stop read the Muppet Show Comic Book!

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I just got back from Heroescon last night. I had a table of my own to promote my comic, so I wasn't able to walk around and look as much as I would have liked, but I was able to make it to the BOOM Studios booth. There were so many awesome comics, including a con exclusive issue of (I believe) issue one. It had a neat holographic cover. I would have wanted to buy it, along with the alternate covers of the other issues, but I didn't have much money. So I settled for the normal issues of 1-3.

I was already a fan of the teaser/mini-comic/preview that was released last year, but I wound up enjoying the first three issues even more than I thought I would. I loved the mixture of sentiment and humor of the first issue. I defiantly "Aaawww"'d a couple of times while reading it. It's great how the "musical numbers" come across. It's something that seems like it's hard to pull off in a printed comic, but I could really see most of the segments working as well on television as they did in print.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Tough Pigs has a review of issue #4. According to that review, it includes a talking houses sketch. It's also mentioend that it'll contain an unexpected cameo (my guess is either Miss Mousey or Gladys).

Sadly, it appears that comic book resources does not have a preview this time. Maybe it'll come out later.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've noticed that some of the press releases have mentioend Boom! having a desire to do a Muppets Sleeping Beauty. I wonder hwo that would turn out. There are hardly any male characters in Sleeping Beauty, and hardly any women in the Muppets world. I wonder if there'd be cross dressing invovled, or major roles for many minor characters.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Sadly, it appears that comic book resources does not have a preview this time. Maybe it'll come out later.
Scratch that! Comic Book Resources has a preview for it now. It looks good. Mahna Mahna and the Snowths appear in the opening two-page spread, as do the mean and happy Hugga Wugga creatures. The Electric Mayhem isn't in the opening this time, though.