Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 37

somethingofafan

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I think that Elmo has matured a little bit since he first came about. I mean, when I see one of Elmo's early appearances, he seems much younger than he comes across now.
Well, now he's three AND A HALF!

BEAR

Reaction score
somethingofafan said:
Well, now he's three AND A HALF!
Hey, a lot can happen in 6 months...Okay, I got nothin. I tried.:stick_out_tongue:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I see what you mean bear. He's certantly not as shyish and a lot more talkitive then he used to be.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
Guess what? She'll also appear in a street story in the season finale.

Here's the rest of the episode guide:

Episode 4130

There's a lot of excitement on Sesame Street because Gina is adopting a baby! After a lot of planning, today is the day that Gina is flying to Guatemala to pick up her baby, Marco, and bring him home. Maria is going with Gina to help speak Spanish. Gina has been waiting for this moment and has made sure that everything is taken care of while she is away. There is a veterinarian covering for her in case any animals need help and Luis and Gordon are setting up the baby's crib, Big Bird, Elmo, Baby Bear and Rosita have noticed all of the excitement, but they don't know what it means to adopt a baby. Gina explains that there is a baby that needs love and caring for and she wants to be the person to provide those things. They all can't wait to meet the new baby and help in any way they can. The next time they see Gina, she will be a mommy and she will have a new family!

Episode 4131

Gina is coming home to Sesame Street today with her newly adopted baby Marco and everyone can't wait for them to arrive! They have all been busy gathering blankets and diapers, making mobiles, and putting together the crib. Everyone was actually so busy that they didn't even realize that Gina and Marco had finally arrived. They all want to continue helping, but what Gina and the baby really need is some rest. This doesn't stop Elmo and Big Bird from wanting to teach the baby the alphabet or stop Telly from giving the baby a triangle lovers test. Finally, all of the helpers leave and Gina has some time alone with her baby. She is extremely happy to be a mommy now and to take care of her new family. Everyone returns and Gina realizes that she is going to need all the help that she can get. She is very grateful that everyone cares so much!

Episode 4132

Snuffy and Big Bird want to play with their new friend- Marco, Gina's baby. They have brought a whole wagon full of things to play with, such as a baseball bat and glove, rollerskates, a pogo stick, and checkers. Gina tells them that the baby is still too young to play with any of those things. She suggests that they think like babies to come up with games that everyone can play together. Big Bird and Snuffy remember playing peek-a-boo, singing songs, and guessing animal sounds. They have so much fun on their playdate, but now they are ready to take naps. Snuffy and Big Bird can really think like babies, after all.

Episode 4134

Oscar and Grundgetta were going to race the Sloppy Jalopy in the Nastycar Races, but the Jalopy won't start. Maria and Luis offer to help, but Oscar insists that Grouches never need help. Grundgetta thinks that they should cooperate so they won't miss the race. Oscar finally agrees, although Maria and Luis aren't able to get the engine to start. Oscar then calls a grouch mechanic to try to fix the Jalopy, but that doesn't work either. They even try a little magic from Abby, but she turns the Jalopy into a pumpkin. They all cooperate to turn the Jalopy back to normal, but Oscar is about to give up on it starting. Just then, Gina's baby tosses his baby bottle and it hits the Jalopy. It starts to run! It's too late to make the race, but Oscar and Grundgetta win anyway. If your Jalopy never moves, you win first place. Oscar and Grundgetta take a victory drive and it's a perfect bumpy ride.
Speaking of Gina adopting I thought I'd bring this up again.
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showpost.php?p=390963&postcount=12

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Rerun today Best pet ep

I saw a rerun of the Best pet ep, although if you ask me they're all wrong. My cat Dutchess is the best pet. I know, I know, she's the best pet for me and all those other pets are the best pets for all the others, but let's face it ROCCO IS A ROCK

BTW: Did anyone notice how in B.B. King's song about the letter B when all the B words come back, the two AM's beards don't come back?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't posted thoughts on the previous two episodes... Not sure when I'll get a chance to do that.
And with the episodes from this week, the sketches might get jumbled around.

Sorry, a lot on my plate recently. Will try to keep up with the new episodes though.

DTF

Reaction score
heralde said:
Well, as much as I like continuity, I understand why they'd make adoption a new concept for Big Bird...Kids need to be able to identify with him, go through the same things he's going through. So he really shouldn't get that much more experienced.
I thought Elmo was the one everyone at Sesame Workship wanted kids to identify with :smile: I agree, Big Bird has become more of the big brother, and in the early '90s he was more mature than in the '70s, when he was supposed to be about 4. And, actually, Bear, you're very right about the 3-3.5 phase being a *big* difference. It's about that time that children have a huge, verbal explosion to where they're talking all the time. Some do it a bit earlier, some later, of course. (Sorry, can't figure how to quote 2 different posts - maybe I can't.)

Seriously, in the season 35 openers, wasn't it mentioned that Miles was adopted? I'm almost sure I remember them saying that when Grover was taking Elmo through the past. It was glossed over, just like what happened to Mr. Hooper, but I'm pretty sure they did say that.

Now, here's what I think *could* be argued successfully. Big Bird hsn't heard about adoption in a long time for him. He's not clear on the concept, becasue it's not something he thinks about every day. I recall my one cousin not knowing what divorce was at BB's age (6) and getting it confused with other words he had in his brain, in the category marked "things family's do." (Including adoption - yes, 6YOs can get concepts mixed up like that.)

*So*, to make a long story short, they could very plausibly argue that Big Bird's not clear on the concept. Later (sadly, probably offscreen) he has an "ah-ha" moment where he says, "Oh, yeah, now I remember. Gordon and Susan adopted Miles, too. But - they didn't go to another country to do it." (Another reason why BB could be unclear on the conept - it's not how he remembers hearing of it.)

So, my apologies for the long comment, but it is highly plausible that BB could be at least fuzzy on the concept, and possibly not know it at all. *However*, that being said, to keep continuity they should have the "Ah ha moment" be on screen, like this:

BB: Oh yeah, now I remember. Miles was adopted, too. Only...you and Susan didn't go to another country to get him.

Gordon: That's right, Big Bird, Lots of children need good, loving homes. Gina just chose one from someplace different than we did.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
That's a good explanation. But Big Bird was suppost to be s wen Mlse was adopted, and he's sx now, so that makes things more confusing to me?

DTF

Reaction score
Hmmm, I see the problem, yes, that can be confusing; I only know he was 4 (or think I recall that) when I was growing up in the early '70s. If he was 6 by the time Miles was adopted, then that does make it tough, becasue what we think of as several months time would be recent enough for Big Bird to remember. And, the only thing he'd be confused about is why is one of these adoptions not like the other. (Although that still gives them an out for a throwaway line about Miles' adoption - BB asking why she had to go so far when Miles was adopted in the U.S..)

However, I think Muppets age differently than we do. (Yes, I typed that with a straight face - though I'm laughing now :smile: Just as a year in a dog's life biologically is 7 in a human's life, perhaps 20 years in a human's life is one in a Muppet's. With varying degrees depending on color, etc..

Along with perhaps inspiring a fanfic on Muppet anatomy :smile:, this would explain why BB doesn't remember it that well until he's reminded of it somehow. Becasue, while he's only aged a few months, the others aged 20 years. So, 20 years really did go by for him. (Yes, i know, that gives him a life span of about 1400 years. But, the Count is even older.)

BEAR

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
I see what you mean bear. He's certantly not as shyish and a lot more talkitive then he used to be.

Elmo or Big Bird? If you mean Elmo then yes. Mainly I feel he has become more articulate.