Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 36

muppet maniac

Reaction score
My thoughts on Season 36:

What I Liked:
*Episode #4088
*Episode #4090(It had two of my favorite SS Muppets in it-Oscar and Cookie Monster)
*Cookie's Letter of the Day segments(both the ones from last year and the new ones)
*Trash Gordon

What I Didn't Like:
*Episode #4083
*Episode #4084
*Hero Guy(wish they'd get rid of it by Season 37 or 38)

I have only seen the first 10 seconds of the Chasing the Cheese. Can anyone tell me everything that happened in it?

I am still waiting to see Grouch Eye for the Nice Guy, Desperate Houseplants, and the Grouch Apprentice.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey MuppetManiac... Grouch Eye for the Nice Guy was on Episode 4091, towards the end of the episode before Elmo's World. As for Chasing the Cheese...
The announcer, who sounded like Chris Vermen (SP?) from ESPN introduced the contestants, and each one said why they were chasing the cheese.
Telly said cause exercise was good for you, Zoe said she knew it'd be good for her body, Elmo said that running/chasing was a good form of exercise, and Baby Bear said he chased the cheese for the sheer fun of exercising. The cheese, voiced by Joey Mazzarino with an accent, then popped up and the chase began. But then it turned into the cheese chasing the monsters. And finally the announcer said basically the same stuff again: whether you're chasing the cheese or the cheese is chasing you, it's a good form of exercise.
Rully was disappointed with this "spoof" segment. Still looking forward to 24 and Desperate Houseplants.

BTW: If you've seen Episode 4090 and can help with descripts of the new characters, then I'd appreciate if you could help me out by posting in the Season 36 Character Questions thread. Just find the appropriate post with the list of character names from 4090.
Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Well, I haven't watched SS in ages...just snippets. I've read what's been going on with SS, and even though it's still there for kids, I still stand by my opinion of modern SS, with my opinion about "Hewo Guy", (hey, that's how Baby Bear pronounces his name):

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?p=251656#post251656

Same goes for the "Street We Live On" special...

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?p=185561#post185561

And as an additional note about Elmo's World, here's an Elmo's World theme I'd like to see:

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=18046

What's gonna happen in 10 years? I can just see it now. Cookie Monster becomes "Vegetable Monster", "Elmo's World" for 45 minutes of the show, and Gordon having to yank Bob out of his cryonic tube before each episode. Or maybe they'll use an animatronic Bob. Who knows? (One time...and this is the absolute truth...Telly thought that Bob was inflatable like his pool toy and had a "valve"...I don't have it on tape, but I remember it for those who want to know more about it).

Convincing John

ssetta

Reaction score
Believe it or not, WGBH made a mistake this morning. Instead of airing today's scheduled episode, they aired the Season premiere, episode #4083 again, the one with Telly learning to catch a ball. I looked at the date of the episode, and it DID say April 18, 2005. So, maybe it was a mistake. I'll have to check the 7:00 airing tomorrow morning to see if they show the right one.

Dantecat

Reaction score
Same thing happened with WHYY and NJN.I have no idea why! :concern:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Missed out on today's episode due to a blackout with my cable service. And it was an episode I was looking forward too. We'd have gotten Hansel and Gretel and Jack and Jill.
Oh well, here's to tomorrow.

Moominmamma

Reaction score
rerun first ep etc

Hi -- first time posting here. I have a 19-mo daughter who loves SS, so I tend to watch along all the time. Today we also got the rerun of the 1st ep of season. I figured it wasn't a mistake but just the tendency to rerun the episodes to death already. As I'm new here, can someone point me to any posts already discussing this issue of how few episodes there are in a season and how many reruns? I might understand if the majority of the "new" season was actually new. But they use so many old clips (well, not so much "old" as in classic ... and at 35, I do remember the really classic stuff!), like repeat letter of day, etc. and what's with only 5 new Elmo's for the whole season? I don't buy the argument that kids like the repetition because my daughter (not even 2 yet) already got sick of all the reruns of last season. And as SS is pretty much the only show we let her watch, that meant we just turned off the TV (which I'm fine with anyway). But if there's a whole discussion of this elsewhere, point me to it, please!

So this new season: the first segments again are going on for too long and losing steam. Some clever writing to appeal to adults ("Grouch Eye"), though. We miss the Count and his organ, as my dd really loved that and she already counts to 20 now thanks to watching that segment. Also miss "Journey to Ernie," but again what were there only 6 of them per season or something? So I don't have a problem getting rid of it if they replace it with something else, but now I feel like we're shorted on Ernie. I've got a feeling we're going to get way too much Baby Bear this season, which gets annoying. If they keep aging Curly, then she'll talk better than Baby Bear in about two months!

Anyway, too soon to really comment on the season yet but I just hope that the re-runs aren't truly starting in already. I also am not crazy about the new tag for "No Child Left Behind." As an educator, I know how much bleep that campaign really is.

astrotrain

Reaction score
WHYY - Reruns?

Dantecat said:
Same thing happened with WHYY and NJN.I have no idea why! :concern:
Yeah I was disapointed this morning to find the season opener was playing.

I hope WHYY does not go into their "re-run rut".

They did that with season 35, it was to the point, that it seemed they
only played the same five episodes each week, just mixed them around.

BeckyDR

Reaction score
Ok, folks, check this out: MPT today showed the first episode from...get this...SEASON 34! Something really weird is going on here!