Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 36

DTF

Reaction score
Channel 45/49 in Alliance, one of our local PBS ones, aired the one w/Joe Torre last night, where Telly is embarrassed b/c he doesn't know how to catch a ball. I caught parts, b/c I'm a baseball fan. They had a Global Thingy and the Letter of the Day was right before Elmo's World! (Insert sar5castic comment about change here.) I checked back then to see if they would have the number with some old stuff; was looking forward to King of Eight, and then forgot about it when they had the same ep. at 8:30 this morning.

It's sad when you can guess what's going to be on and watch around that particular time, but not watch any more of the show. Even sadder when the one show they do things different on is the one you wanted to see part of. And they I just lucked into finding it was that one last night b/c I decided to look in as I ate supper, which means my local station will apparently show 1, repeat those 10, and then show 10 more? Or what?

As Lou Costello says as one point in "Who On First," "Am I mixed up!" :smile:

BTW, there is a way to find which one is on, maybe at the pbskids.com website, I'm not sure.

alizakaila

Reaction score
What's frustrating is that there is only appx 1 month worth of new shows a year and they are already repeating them. Also, they have been touting this season as promoting "healthy eating." Mixing it with season 33 & 34 that does not have that theme is inconsistent. Also, they have repeated seasons 34 & 35 to the nth degree that it is just disapointing to get more and more repeats. Also, PBS does not have a complete listing of what episode is on when, so only when you tune in do you see it is a repeat-what a letdown.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, they have all this stuff about consistancy, how we need the Number and letter of the day segregated into designated points in the show. They go on about how good the structure is for kids... then they do something asinine like scrambling the episodes with old reruns and current reruns.

Where's secret squirrel when you need him? maybe he knows why they're doing this.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
why are you and the count making such a big to do about these things? it has no effect on you.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
We're just voicing our opinions and concerns, much like everyone else here. And the fact that they repeat episodes rully isn't what bothers me. It's just that they decided to mix in the repeats in between the first run-through airing of all the episodes from the new season. And it does affect me, cause the longer the episodes from the new season go without airing due to scheduling the repeats in between, the longer I have to wait to get said new episodes and whatever new characters for the list. And the later that happens, the more unsure I am that my sources will be online to help sorting through those new characters from the new episodes. Thus a potential Muppet Listings 16.0 list and thread could end up being posted in August or September, when it could've been posted in late May at the potential earliest.

But we all have opinions and concerns on this, just voicing ours.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Me? I just want to see the parodies of 24 and Desperate Housewives. I could care less if it was entirely all Health segments. But then again, if they wanted to have reruns in the mix, they really should have thought of it before hand, and not make it some random thing.

But getting to the Count finally reappearing in the street segments, is it just me, or during the episode with Richard Kind as the Balloon fairy, the Count seemed dubbed? I don't know how I know this, but the delivery of everything the Count said seemed like it was scripted and looped, rather than him actually being there. You know, like he didn't say anything in direct reaction to certain things. But you can tell he was there when Big Bird was making Cookies. Just when he was counting the cookie dough drops, he said something like "Oh, and a little one" after a bit fell off the spoon prematurely.

And what was the deal of the Count in that bit where he was singing up to the number of the day? That was pretty good, but which Countess was he with?

SCOOTER_101

Reaction score
I think the Count's voice is most likely dubbed. Jerry Nelson is now officially retired and the only way they can have the Count on the show is if they have Jerry say the lines and then they dub them in. I think it's nice of Jerry to at least do this for us :smirk: :sing: :crazy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's what I mean. A dubbed Count is better than no Count at all. But then again, Frank Oz's dubbing in MTi and MFS kinda ruined the chemestry of the characters. But it's hardly noticible for the Count, especially if it's in smaller appearances.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
To address a few points.
1 Drtooth, tell me if you please could, in what order did the numbers run across the necklace of the Countess who appeared in that Number of the Day song bit with the Count. If they're in ascending order, then it was Countess Dahling von Dahling. If they went in descending order and included a 0, then it was Countess von Backwards.
2 That song he sang is part of the introduction of the Number of the Day. For the number 0, they saved the bit where his counting organ gets blown away; for the numbers 1-10, they're using the lead-in from the classic Song of Number bits; and for numbers 11 and higher, they'll probably end up using this new song bit.
3 Jerry Nelson is in a state of semi-retiredness, he's still performing the Count von Count on SS. At least, according to waht I've heard and read here on the forums.
Hope this helps and have a good day.

SCOOTER_101

Reaction score
For a while there I was thinking that we were only going to see The Count in the number of the day openings from here on out. Or see him pop up in the Do De Rubber duck skit along with Kermit, Guy Smiley, and Biff. I haven't watched any of the shows yet this season, but when I read in the episode guide and saw that the Count was going to be in some of the street stories this year I was very Happy. I thought he was gone for good but he is now back. Also keep a look out for another classic charachter in the 2 parter Season Finale, The Amazing Mumford. Good Old Jerry. Instead of letting his charachters get recast to some Yahoo who has no clue what theyr'e doing with them he is doing what he can to keep them alive. Thank you Jerry Nelson :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: