Your Thoughts: Sesame Street 50 Years and Counting DVD Set

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Honestly with how technology has changed, some old clips on Sesame Street’s YouTube channel that are still at 480p I’d love to see get upgraded in the near future, whether it’s putting them at 1080 with the unfortunate interlacing or putting a clip at 480 on DVD but having a (more natural looking) framerate.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I had never even seen Shapes in my Room before I got the DVD

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I must say that I am really enjoying some of the songs from the street scenes on disc 2.

I know that I saw Maria and Luis’ wedding episode when it aired, but had forgotten many of the songs (and have caught a few on YouTube as well as the scene in 40 Years of Sunny Days, but hadn’t seen all the street scenes since I was a kid), and I find Gina’s “I Wanna be Near to You” to be catchy. It’s a shame they never had a remade performance of this, it isn’t too wedding-specific to be used outside of this context.

and I like the song Bob and Minneapolis sing about how different they are.

And that “At the Playground” song is catchy, yet I also feel it sounds like one of the most “kiddie” Sesame Street songs ever (even compared with other songs from that era). Sounds like something I would expect to hear on Barney or a children’s sing-along video. And yet I also really enjoy it. After the 40th anniversary set was released, I felt like if we had another set of its format (clips from every season, with street stories represented with just one scene), I would have had the Madeline Kahn scene be the one to represent the episode (and it is a good scene, but not as great as I had expected), but now I feel like this song should represent the episode if there’s such a release.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I also like that episode but I must say, the scene where Telly, Herry and Elmo argue over who has the most important job has to be one of the stupidest scenes in Sesame Street history

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I also like that episode but I must say, the scene where Telly, Herry and Elmo argue over who has the most important job has to be one of the stupidest scenes in Sesame Street history
It’s interesting that they have Herry be the waiter instead of Grover. I guess they know better than to hire Grover as the waiter (or maybe Grover was busy at one of his other jobs, after all, Grover wasn’t at the wedding). Herry refers to himself as “the waiter”, as if they only have one at the wedding.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
It’s interesting that they have Herry be the waiter instead of Grover. I guess they know better than to hire Grover as the waiter (or maybe Grover was busy at one of his other jobs, after all, Grover wasn’t at the wedding). Herry refers to himself as “the waiter”, as if they only have one at the wedding.
Frank Oz was probably busy and they couldn’t get him there when filming. I mean it’s interesting to realize that this one of the few street scenes in the 80’s where Cookie Monster, Bert, and Ernie are in the background.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I'm surprised he wasn't at least shown in the background also Grover is a terrible waiter do Maria and Luis probably knew better :laugh:

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I'm surprised he wasn't at least shown in the background also Grover is a terrible waiter do Maria and Luis probably knew better :laugh:
I don’t know who pointed this out many moons ago but probably the lack of performers. Made the deciding factor of Grover not appearing at the wedding. I mean Prairie Dawn, Biff, Sully, and Forgetful Jones weren’t there either.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
Forgetful Jones was there, you can see him briefly near the end of the episode