Your Thoughts: New Muppet Central Forum Features

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You know, now that I am seeing this from a computer, its not that bad. But the posts bleed much worse than on my phone

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
I would agree real names should be encouraged but NOT a requirement (even first name). People rightly have various concerns and issues with privacy on the internet - plus let's also not forget about insiders or people who work(ed) with Henson/Muppets who may not wish to so blatently broadcast who they are.
Yea i remember a few years ago someone from Disney's Muppets studio (then Muppets Holding Company) was hanging around the boards! :electric:

dwmckim

Reaction score
A couple things i wanted to throw out (not webtv/skweezer related - but a mix of things i've observed using library computer etc)...

I see that the suggestion to have a poster's gender shown has been noted, but i'm not sure the current way of doing it is the best solution - right now you see a male symbol, a female symbol, or a question mark in the avatar space if the user doesn't have an avatar. But what about the members who do? There are those like me who may have photos of themselves as the avatar but many others have pix of Muppets or other stuff and you still can't tell gender. Also the first time i noticed the gender symbol avatars, i didn't "get" it and thought someone had actually chosen to use the male symbol as their avatar and thought it was hinting at something else not implied.

I'd like to see a little more detail about the user by the avatar like on the old forum (when of course the user chooses to have them displayed) like age, location - i realize you can see this info by clicking on the profile and then clicking THAT to see more specific info...but those extra steps shouldn't be necessary, plus one of the reasons it's nice to see it next to the avatar is it's another way to help keep track of who's who...if you see someone's in a particular place, it might make them stand out more in your mind - sometimes seeing the age of a poster explains a lot about their p.o.v. or the way they may be expressing something. They're all quite handy-dandy little bits of info to know.

...and...since most of you know (especially viewers of this thread) that i tend to be pretty free with discussing things i like and don't like...i'll throw out a compliment (and have some fun shocking some people with the very notion hee hee)...i like the new urls of the threads. It's pretty neat seeing the thread title incorporated into the URL - but the best part is that one can still type a URL without incorporating the thread title and it still will redirect. This is important to me because usually one of the main ways i keep track of what i have/haven't read is by viewing the forum by thread number. When i first saw the new URL's, i groaned at first thinking that it would be harder to so now, but using this thread's URL as an example:

http://muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/your-thoughts-new-muppert-central-forum.47592

you can also get to this thread by just typing:

http://muppetcental.com/forum/threads/47592

and it will automatically redirect - and even better still - say, you're like me and you like reading the forum by thread number, you're reading them sequentially and after reading this thread, you want to next read thread #47593...instead of having to delete the whole last part of the thread in the browser, you can just change the last digit (changing http://muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/your-thoughts-new-muppet-central-forum.47592 to http://muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/your-thoughts-new-muppet-central-forum.47593) and it will STILL go ahead and redirct you even though the new thread won't share the same thread title. Just wanted to both say how much i appreciate that and also point it out to others who may not have noticed this (i discovered this through trial and error and just experimenting myself)

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I totally agree with that. I also want to see our post count listed under our avatar. This is the only forum I have seen that doesnt list the post count. Gender and posts I certainly want, age would be interesting if its optional like on the last forum. Location I could care less about.

Dont feel bad. I didnt get the avatar thing either. I saw a female icon and thought she chose that...then I realized it was because she didnt have an avatar set. The question mark makes more sense as a general image for not having an avatar.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, it IS just my crappy Comcast/xfinity connection that's having the lagging issues, as I had to stop at the library today, and used one of those 15-minute express computers, and MC was boom-boom-boom fast as lightning, far cry from the 45-75 second lagging I experience at home.

So folks, anytime you see those xfinity commercials saying how their internet is so much faster than DSL, in the words of Tom: "DOOOOOON'T YOU BELIEEEEEVE ITTTTTT..."

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------------------------------
I'm mostly adjusted to the new Forum...but I STILL deplore the fact that there aren't well-defined text boxes or ANYTHING that really separates posts from one another! Please, o mighty Admin, can't you do anything about this??
----------------------------

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I made a suggestion thread...I doubt either of these will get looked at, but so we have them in one place you might as well add it to my thread. It might get looked at faster, if at all...

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I may have mentioned this before in passing, but I miss being able to see who is "in" a thread with me while I'm in the thread myself. I know I can see where "everyone" is by looking at the Members Online Now, but that doesn't tell me who is currently reading a thread about, say, the premiere or the latest interview while I'm there, too. Is that capability gone forever? Just asking....

Um, I know this is the place we put our, er, suggestions (complaints), but I also wanted to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for keeping everything so wonderful and tidy and nice for us here at MC! We appreciate you!​

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... Along those lines I also miss the list of who's birthday it is any given day after the list of members online. :sympathy: