Working with Frank Oz.

Tim

Reaction score
Frank is an extremely driven man and perfectionist when it comes to his own work. He only expects everyone else to do their best as well, and who can blame him?

The Carroll Spinney hand-holding thing I heard about from a couple of different people years ago. Carroll is a brillian puppeteer, although his background is more in theater, so his on-camera style is different from and "bigger" than the other performers, and I'm sure Frank was just trying to get him more "television". Jim tried for YEARS to get Carroll into the "core group" of performers, and he never felt comfortable doing that, for whatever reasons.

I never actually puppeteered with him, but it was absolutely fastenating to watch him work. His intensity was incredible. One day on TMM my mom came down to watch me work, and happened to be sitting in Frank's chair. The second they called "cut" he flew off set to the nearest monitor to watch the playback, tossing equipment out of his way. My mom all but jumped up not knowing what to expect from him, yet quick as a flash, he turned sweet as a lamb and never concerned himself with his chair being occupied, insisting she stay where she was. I'm not sure what that says about him, but it seems to say a lot.

Jim would not allow or put up with that kind of ego trip from anyone he worked shoulder to shoulder with for three decades. Look how fast he got rid of Jack Burns.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
OverUnderAround said:
Frank is the best performer and that makes him lash out when things aren't done to his perfection. And why would anyone want to argue with the Master puppeteer that he is.

I don't know about Brian Henson, but I do know that Frank and Steve Whitmire don't get along.

hu, I mean if you really think about it makes since. I can see him being this total prefectionist to the point that he does not get along with some people. I know people like that. I guess if I sat down and thought about it I could have figured that out, I just never put two and two together.

Tim

Reaction score
Oz and Brando-"Piggy" and "Porky".

cahuenga

Reaction score
Hi! im wondering how frank feel working with the new performers, bill barretta, eric jacobson, and how is his relationship with brian henson. Thanks everyone:wink:

Ernie101

Reaction score
Speaking of Frank Oz directing films, "What about Bob?" was a great movie. besides "The score" does anyone know any of the other movies he directed?

Drake.

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Stepford Wives, correct Ernie101? That movie was so awesome. Perhaps because of the star-studden cast, Nicole Kidman, Matthew Broderick, Christopher Walken, what's her face....Glenn Close I think, Bette Midler, and Roger Bart, but it's awesome-ness is also related to the director.

Oh, and In & Out I think. That movie was cool too.

Ernie101

Reaction score
Thank you Bork! I recall the stepford Wives but not IN & Out. Although I can't remember a single thing that happens in the movie .. :wink:
Looks like Im gonna have to go rent those two sometime...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
IN & OUT is really good, it's both funny and sensitive.

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
I haven't really seen In & Out. I mean, I've seen the ending...three...five...sixteen times? I make a point of it. Either that or dumb luck. But I really love the ending, specially with "Macho man" and the entire crowd standing up and announcing their "preference."

BEAR

Reaction score
Yes, In & Out burgers are delicious.:wink: