Who is your Fave Sesame Street Muppet?

Bridget

Reaction score
Oooh! Abby Caddaby and Ernie no doubt about it. Abby, because she's super energetic, bubbly, fun, and most importantly pink! And she gets extremely excited at times, and flies up into the air, haha. She reminds me of how I was when I was four! Ernie, because he is soooo hilarious and I just adore his relationship with Bert. Second best Muppet couple in my opinion. And his laugh is enough to make me laugh along ;D!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well I love Grover, and Ernie and Bert, and Oscar. I also loved Big Bird in follow that Bird.

I have said this before on here but, I use to hate Elmo. Then I read Kevin Clash's book, and found the deeper meaning into Elmo, and from that I fell in love with that little red monster.

If you can't stand Elmo and have never read Kevin's book. I would highly recommend doing so, your thinking may change I know mine did for the better.

Bridget

Reaction score
Well I love Grover, and Ernie and Bert, and Oscar. I also loved Big Bird in follow that Bird.

I have said this before on here but, I use to hate Elmo. Then I read Kevin Clash's book, and found the deeper meaning into Elmo, and from that I fell in love with that little red monster.

If you can't stand Elmo and have never read Kevin's book. I would highly recommend doing so, your thinking may change I know mine did for the better.
I've always loved Elmo's personality, especially when he gets sarcastic. Kevin was born with a special gift. I mean, it's super rare to find a performer that can make such a sharp voice and keep it on point for such a long time. And he can make Elmo do so many things, but still be in character!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I've always loved Elmo's personality, especially when he gets sarcastic. Kevin was born with a special gift. I mean, it's super rare to find a performer that can make such a sharp voice and keep it on point for such a long time. And he can make Elmo do so many things, but still be in character!
That is very true, and I use to think that Elmo was not a well rounded character, until I really started watching Sesame Street, around season 40. He can be very funny, but at the same time he has a whole lot of heart and love, for everyone. I think that is what I like about all the Muppets, they have a lot of heart.

I have yet to fully see that out of Abby, I'm not saying it is not there. I just have not seen it. I would love to see the divorce show, and then that might change my thinking on her. I don't not like Abby, It's just taking me time to get use to her.

Bridget

Reaction score
That is very true, and I use to think that Elmo was not a well rounded character, until I really started watching Sesame Street, around season 40. He can be very funny, but at the same time he has a whole lot of heart and love, for everyone. I think that is what I like about all the Muppets, they have a lot of heart.

I have yet to fully see that out of Abby, I'm not saying it is not there. I just have not seen it. I would love to see the divorce show, and then that might change my thinking on her. I don't not like Abby, It's just taking me time to get use to her.
I understand completely! I will say for the record that Abby's Flying Fairy school is not my favorite thing in the world. I find it to be a bit, well, irrelevant. But the little girl can be very upbeat, and adventurous, which are the qualities I like in a Muppet. I think that after a good three years, Abby should be more of a regular predictable character. **Wish List**: an abby emote!!!

cjd874

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I love Frank Oz's main characters from SS: Cookie Monster, Grover, and Bert. I just watched some Cookie videos, and it's truly amazing how Frank effortlessly brings such a charming and conflicted character to life. He knows the true essence of all his characters, and he injects his razor-sharp wit, which often leads to some hilarious ad-libbed remarks. And to think he didn't want to be in the entertainment business at first... :insatiable::super::frown:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Honestly, I love Frank's other work, but I do think that his best work is on Sesame Street! I think he was a little bit more free to be loose, and to cut up. Even with Bert he is able to somehow make someone so dull become really funny.

cjd874

Reaction score
Honestly, I love Frank's other work, but I do think that his best work is on Sesame Street! I think he was a little bit more free to be loose, and to cut up. Even with Bert he is able to somehow make someone so dull become really funny.
Agreed 100%. I think Frank is still one of the best actors in the business today, although ironically we never see him while he's acting. We only see his right hand with a puppet draped over it.
Nonetheless, I think his best work with SS was in the 1970s and in the 1990s, for different reasons. In the 1970s, SS was an growing success, and the humor appealed to both kids and adults, so Frank could slip in something that both groups would like. In the 1990s, as a matured performer, Frank had thirty years' worth of experience to bring the best out of his main characters, as well as the occasional one-shot Muppets. Plus, after Jim & Richard passed, he was the only original performer left, along with Jerry, Caroll, & Fran. That's why I think there were so many solo Grover/Cookie/Bert segments in the 1990s...like a Frank Oz renaissance of sorts.

cjd874

Reaction score
What about the 80's?
Well, I think that was more of a Caroll/Jerry/Richard period. Frank was busy with the beginning of his film directing career, so that's why I think we saw more of Big Bird, Oscar, the Count, Biff & Sully, Forgetful Jones, and other Muppets that were performed by people who were more readily available for taping street scenes. This was also when Kevin Clash, Martin Robinson, Pam Arciero, and Camille Bonora began making lots of appearances as Elmo, Nobel Price, Telly, Snuffy, Grundgetta, Ruby, etc.