Where's the love for Rocky and Bullwinkle?

Drtooth

Reaction score
When Classic Media bought up the license after Universal dumped it, it gave them a new lease on life... until the whole bull with Sony Wonder stopped them from releasing the rest of the series on DVD. There was all this new merchandise too... and now there's really nothing, but that terrible George of the Jungle cartoon on CN. You know, the one that just takes the names of the characters and pretends to be a show of its own, but really turns into something exactly like "My Gym Partner is a Monkey?"

I just want them to release the end of the RB cartoon series./.. at the very least give us the rest of the series.

Xerus

Reaction score
As a kid, the first time I saw Bullwinkle was on the Tennessee Tuxedo and his Tales syndicated series. It only showed the Bullwinkle's Corner and Mr. Know it All skits in that series. As I got older, I soon discovered the Rocky and Bullwinkle series and got to see the moose and squirrel in exciting and silly adventure chapters.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As a kid, the first time I saw Bullwinkle was on the Tennessee Tuxedo and his Tales syndicated series.
Ah, yes... the Peter Piech Filmtel packaging job that caused so much confusion, leading people to believe Jay was responsible for Underdog and Commander McBragg. The fact they used the same Mexican studio wasn't much help either... and now they're both owned (or at least co-owned) by Media Rights... MORE confusion, perpetually connecting the shows together.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Rocky and Bullwinkle is weird for me...I like it and all, but I always got the feeling it was cut up from how it normally looked on tv...

The Mush

Reaction score
Jay Ward was a legend. His stuff was always hilarious and he always went for the laugh. He and Bill Scott were two comedy legends and you could tell that they all loved the characters, satire, and cornball puns.
Drtooth said:
And while I could go on about that, I wanna say this... where the heck is the love for Hoppity Hooper? The long lost stepheaded redchild of Jay Ward lore? I only found it on bootlegged expired copyright DVD... even Fractured Flickers got an official release.
I got alotta Hoppity episodes on my "600 Cartoon Collection" set and I cherisch them with my R&B and George of the Jungle DVDs

Drtooth

Reaction score
I got alotta Hoppity episodes on my "600 Cartoon Collection" set and I cherisch them with my R&B and George of the Jungle DVDs
I definitely want to get that, but I'd much rather a cleaned up official release.

That said, I can watch all the Rocky and Bullwinkle I want on hulu, and I still would much rather get the DVD's too for collectors purposes.

Yeah, Hooper gets no love, respect, or even a remembrance. I really wish somehow someone in the Ward family would post something online... they have some pilot films that we'll never see. I'd LOVE to see Rah Rah Woozy. Of course, I don't know how many of them were finished. he had millions of shows that went no where. I love seeing the second (and only finished) Super Chicken pilot on the George of the Jungle DVD. Plus, if somehow we could see the Watt's Gnu show, I'd be eternally grateful.

The Mush

Reaction score
I definitely want to get that, but I'd much rather a cleaned up official release.

That said, I can watch all the Rocky and Bullwinkle I want on hulu, and I still would much rather get the DVD's too for collectors purposes.

Yeah, Hooper gets no love, respect, or even a remembrance. I really wish somehow someone in the Ward family would post something online... they have some pilot films that we'll never see. I'd LOVE to see Rah Rah Woozy. Of course, I don't know how many of them were finished. he had millions of shows that went no where. I love seeing the second (and only finished) Super Chicken pilot on the George of the Jungle DVD. Plus, if somehow we could see the Watt's Gnu show, I'd be eternally grateful.
Your right there buthe people that own the TV rights to a lot of the Jay Ward stuff and Underdog own the TV rights to Hoppity, so I suspect that it's owned by Classic Media, so they could surprise us.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I personally really like Rocky and Bullwinkle. I watched the movie as well when I was five, and saw whole episodes of the show sometime last year (I saw clips before). They have great puns! I think some of their other characters are really underrated though such as Dudley Do Right, Nell, Snidley, Peabody, Sherman, and Aesop and Son.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I often wonder why there were two syndication packages (The Rocky Show and The Bullwinkle Show). It seems The Bullwinkle Show syndication package is the most commonly-broadcast syndication package, and ironically, that syndication package only includes the last season of the actual Bullwinkle Show, along with every cliffhanger from Rocky and His Friends. Though I've read that Nickelodeon had both syndication packages in the 1990s (and I do recall seeing a number of cliffhangers that I haven't seen broadcast elsewhere in syndication).

I recall when Nickelodeon aired the show, they showed three Bullwinkle segments a half-hour (which is how the last season is presented in the syndicated Bullwinkle Show package). I've read a number of forums that this was because Nickelodeon had less commercial time. This gets me wondering: If Nick had the extra time to show an extra Bullwinkle show segment, then they couldn't they have shown The Muppet Show episodes uncut?

I also wonder how Nickelodeon aired episodes with four chapters. Did they just put the entire storyline in one half-hour, like how Moosylvania Saved is shown in syndication?

And when it comes to the two seperate syndication packages, does anybody know if both syndication packages shared any of the same installments from the various supporting segments?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I recall when Nickelodeon aired the show, they showed three Bullwinkle segments a half-hour (which is how the last season is presented in the syndicated Bullwinkle Show package). I've read a number of forums that this was because Nickelodeon had less commercial time. This gets me wondering: If Nick had the extra time to show an extra Bullwinkle show segment, then they couldn't they have shown The Muppet Show episodes uncut?
I don't think they could have or would have. After all, they cut the episodes up something fierce and replaced segments left and right. I remember seeing U.K. segments that shouldn't have been in episodes. Must've been a rights thing. I definitely saw To Morrow in the wrong episode.

Anyway for the Moose and squirrel... even though they're on hulu and DVD, there's no syndication access (we have to make room for the same 5 judges and Maury Povich)... I swear... there's an entire generation of kids that's not going to know the Flintstones from anything from vitamins and cereal commercials.