When you need to rant...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
All I want is for Shout to have learned their lesson from their craptacular release of Danny Phantom season 2 and release season 3 as one set, not two parts...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm mixed about part seasons. It's the inbetween of 5 episodes for 15 dollar 1999 style releases and full on box sets too scary for brick and mortar retailers for not being a current TV show.

I'll take half seasons to 5 episode disks any day, but I really wish more of these companies would just go for the 25 dollar 26 episode sets. I mean, I'm morning the loss of bonus features, but they're getting so cheap with these things, it's ridiculous.

But what really honks me off? The cartoon catchphrase collection that has 10 random episodes and that's it. Fans of a show that no one under the age of teenager cares about aren't going to be happy with 10 episodes (Go Go Gadget collection) or just over 5 full half hours worth of half episodes (ALviiiiin collection). I really wish Fox would lose the license to Inspector Gadget and it would go to Mill Creek where it belongs.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
They really screwed up though. I don't know who's fault it is but for one, the episodes were out of order...ok...I'll give them a pass on that since it doesn't affect story, but part 1 was incorrectly labeled and had different episodes than what was on the insert, and part 2 was basically half of part 1 and the episodes they missed...still, the season IS complete...just really messed up

Drtooth

Reaction score
They really screwed up though. I don't know who's fault it is but for one, the episodes were out of order...ok...I'll give them a pass on that since it doesn't affect story, but part 1 was incorrectly labeled and had different episodes than what was on the insert, and part 2 was basically half of part 1 and the episodes they missed...still, the season IS complete...just really messed up
I don't know who's on the episode order... I'd tend to think Nick is the one to blame on this one, since Shout usually goes to great lengths with their products. They even managed to splice in footage missing from Transformers episodes from other sources. Something Rhino didn't do. Nick is the one that gave them the over-edited safe Rocko reruns instead of the original working print.

I'd hope they bundle the seasons up together in the long run. Though they are collecting the Rocko's DVD's into one big set. I'd think any error on their part would be fixed if they collected the other series in similar sets.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
From what I understand, they did at least re-issue the first half with a corrected sleeve, but it seems to be out of print...or something...Amazon doesn't have part 1, except on the rare occasion it pops up as a private dealer...which I assume is where mine came from (and the plastic thingy that holds the disks was broke, but that could have happened during shipping) I'm not overly upset about it, but it's still annoying considering Season 1 was a great set, despite not having bonus features. it's perplexing how they could have messed season 2 up so bad.

But it's still at least on physical disks. I hate the thought of downloading an entire show...

charlietheowl

Reaction score
The Baseball Hall of Fame did not elect a candidate into the Hall this year, despite loads of stars being on the ballot. For some reason, writers think they are experts on steroids and qualified to decide whether or not players like Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio and Mike Piazza used steroids based on their conjecture and not actual facts. It boggles the mind that writers could decide that Barry Larkin is above skepticism but not Craig Biggio. Clearly the system needs to be changed if it's keeping guys like Tim Raines on the sidelines for no reason at all.

Drtooth

Reaction score
From what I understand, they did at least re-issue the first half with a corrected sleeve, but it seems to be out of print...or something...Amazon doesn't have part 1, except on the rare occasion it pops up as a private dealer...which I assume is where mine came from (and the plastic thingy that holds the disks was broke, but that could have happened during shipping) I'm not overly upset about it, but it's still annoying considering Season 1 was a great set, despite not having bonus features. it's perplexing how they could have messed season 2 up so bad.

Not that it's a big deal, but the FINALLY release Earthworm Jim set has a huge error on the second disk, mixing three episodes up. Not on an enclosed list (somehow the DVD set doesn't come with one), but choosing one of three episodes gets you the WRONG episode. Not a huge deal, since they're all there, but that's pretty big an error for a DVD release.

Hubert

Reaction score
The Baseball Hall of Fame did not elect a candidate into the Hall this year, despite loads of stars being on the ballot. For some reason, writers think they are experts on steroids and qualified to decide whether or not players like Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio and Mike Piazza used steroids based on their conjecture and not actual facts. It boggles the mind that writers could decide that Barry Larkin is above skepticism but not Craig Biggio. Clearly the system needs to be changed if it's keeping guys like Tim Raines on the sidelines for no reason at all.
Some of this is pretty pathetic. Granted, it was a hard ballot to get in on with all the stars, but still, the hall should be granted based on hard statistics and nothing else, something that isn't happening.

I'm glad to at least see an effort made for Biggio, Bagwell, and some other top ones showing up, though. Yet I wonder if they didn't make it because of the stars, or because of the steroid speculations.

Overall, I hate the system they use. Percentages just don't work. It's unfair that because of the people around you, you might not get in as quickly.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I used to be against the hard statistics sort of thing, but then I read The Politics of Glory by Bill James, a history of the hall of fame, and saw how the system has been messed up forever, with retired players used the Veteran's Committee to get the friends in the HOF being the most egregious offense, so I'm not on the side of the writers or any committee of players anymore. The writers obviously wanted to make themselves the story this year and not the players. Why else would you send in a blank ballot, knocking every player down a small peg, instead of choosing not to vote?

However, the one thing that forces changes is money, and the Hall of Fame has been losing money consistently over the past ten or so years. Seeing that no one will come to this year's ceremony (no disrespect to the Veteran's Committee inductees, but no one is saying 'Man, Hank O'Day was my favorite umpire, better head up to Cooperstown'), maybe that will give them the financial setback needed to at least start pruning the writers.

Misskermie

Reaction score
I hate it when you're doing something, (playing a video game) Then two people enter the room, who've been doing something, (Talking) And then they get mad at you and tell you to LEAVE!

Grrrr.