What TV characters remind you of Muppets?

YellowYahooey

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2019
Messages
892
Reaction score
190
Baby Huey reminds me of season 1 Big Bird.
I remember Baby Huey from Harvey Comics' heydays. I had the rare 1980 comic book issue, which was believed to be a reboot in the making, but it was not to be.

Baby Huey didn't get published regularly until the 1990s.

I wonder if Baby Huey was inspired by one of Donald Duck's nephews, but was made into a giant to avoid confusion with the Disney creation?

I said on the SS board many years ago that Top Cat reminds me of Oscar: an antihero character living in a garbage can who often gets into mischief.
Sounds like Top Cat is so gross and disgusting. At least Oscar wasn't as disgusting.

As for another contribution of mine, I did learn of Vincent Van Dough, who was on the show on a recent season. First thing that came to mind was Reggie Van Dough in the "Richie Rich" cartoon series in the 1980s, though both do not share the same thing in common. Reggie was a mischief maker, but Vincent was more into art like Van Gogh.

I could see Harvey Kneeslapper reminding me of Reggie Van Dough since both were known for playing pranks.
 
Last edited:

muppet maniac

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2002
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
460
Disgust and Anger from Inside Out, combined together, remind me of Oscar of 1970-72 (seasons 2 and 3)

Growing up, any time I saw a portrayal of Dracula on TV, the first thing that came into my mind is ..:batty:
 

muppet maniac

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2002
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
460


The rooster on the left looks like T.R from The Muppet Musicians of Bremen
 

muppet maniac

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2002
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
460
Another Pixar/Muppet comparison...
Roz from Monsters, Inc reminds me of Penny Waxman.
 

muppet maniac

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2002
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
460
After seeing the teaser trailer for Inside Out 2, does the new character Anxiety look like the lovechild of Pepe the King Prawn and Red Fraggle?



Kind of.a reversal of my earlier comment about Disgust and Anger being the "parents" of 1970-72 Oscar

(Stops to think for a moment)
 

YellowYahooey

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2019
Messages
892
Reaction score
190
I think Grouchy Smurf reminds me of Oscar - because both are, well, grouches.
 

muppet maniac

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2002
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
460
The titular character of the Untalkative Bunny shorts reminds me of Grover.
 

Flaky Pudding

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2013
Messages
3,439
Reaction score
2,209
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this because he doesn't remind me of any Muppet character in particular. With that being said...

Ted feels like a Muppet because he's a living teddy bear in a world incredibly similar to ours, yet hardly anyone notices or cares. Much like how Kermit and Fozzie are seldom ever acknowledged to be a frog and a bear (even when they are, it's just a passing comment, not full-on, "That frog is driving a car. Am I going crazy!?")
 

muppet maniac

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2002
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
460
After binge-watching Gravity Falls and The Owl House lately, here’s what I came up with…

Gravity Falls
Dipper: Walter
Mabel: Abby Cadabby
Grunkle Stan: Statler and Waldorf
Soos: Wendell Porcupine
Wendy: Red Fraggle
Toby Determined: Droop
Manly Dan: Sweetums
Sheriff Blubbs and Durland: Jake and Henry (Inner-Tube TV)
Grenda: Behemoth/Clean Gene
Old Man McGucket: Flattop
Tad Strange: Chip

The Owl House
Luz: Pre-Muppet Show Kermit. Generally a wide-eyed easygoing character who could be serious when the situation calls for it. Not to mention Kermit had his own magical abilities (even if his abilities are limited to Visual Thinking and tracing letters and shapes on the screen with his finger)

Eda: Gonzo, post-Jim.
King: combination of Rizzo and Oscar
Hooty: Big Bird, back when he was more naive and in the way
Lilith: All through season 1, Miss Finch. From season 2 onwards, Prairie Dawn
Amity: From the episodes “Lost in Language” up to “Through the Looking Glass Realms”, Oscar during Jeff Moss’ tenure as head writer (1970-72). As to who she reminds me of before and after this point, it’s hard to say, but the closest I can think of for the latter is Mary from The Muppets 2011 (kind of cheating, considering she’s a human)
Gus: Kingston Livingston III
Willow: Rosita
Hunter: Bert as performed by Frank Oz.
Raine: Emmet Otter
Vee: Elmo
Tinella Nosa: Nigel the Control Freak
Darius: Herry Monster
Principal Bump: Matt Vogel’s Uncle Deadly
Kikimora: Scred
 
Top