What sketches scared you as a kid?

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
fozziefan said:
Guy Smiley and some of the other "human" muppets like him used to frighten me too. I'm not quite sure why.

:embarrassed:
amen. it was mainly when they used the guy puppet to be captain from spaceship spaceship and vincent twice that made me really freaked out.

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
and the fact that before the the vincent twice skits, they showed a stained glass-ish picture of a sad woman in all black in front of a grave, while there was rain in a background...then they zoomed into the grave and it showed vincent sitting there staring at the candle....that there is enough to make anyone forget that their watching a little kids show. i mean that picture looks like it could be the cover of a marilyn manson cd.

superfan

Reaction score
aah, here we are...

Sorry, guys!
I kinda figured it was a popular thread!
Well, rather than repeat my first scary SS experience, I'll just add a Muppet Show one for good measure!

Crystal Gayle on Muppet show, and she's standing on the cliff singing some sad ballad song and there's all these ghosts swooshing around with really creepy faces. Some of them come right up to the camera near the end and *phew! that one bugged me for years!

El Mayhem

Reaction score
Scary Skits

I just found this forum and I have to tell you all, I read things here that I have not thought about in many, many years. I'm so happy to see that I am not the only one that was scared of Sesame Street skits.

I have 2 animated skits in particular that scared me. I am hoping that some of you may remember them.

skit #1: This was an animated skit that had a man telling the viewer that today he was introducing the letter M. This big red capital letter M then proceeded to eat a bunch of things that started with the letter M. Like marshmallows and milk. Then the M starts to actually eat away at the screen until everything is gone. This skit scared the **** out of me when I was a kid. I would turn the t.v. off untill I thought the skit was over. I actually got to see this skit again about 7 years ago. My niece was watching Sesame Street in another room and I heard the skit starting up. I ran to the room and watched it with her and I couldn't believe that it used to scare me.

skit #2: If skit #1 scared the **** out of me, then this one made me run to my room and not come out untill the whole show was over. It was another animated skit. I may be remembering it a little fuzzy, but I hope one of you recalls this. It starts out with this really ominous, droning music in the background you can see an apple tree. The apple tree is on top of a big green hill and suddenly, I think a cane, starts to pop up from behind the hill and poke apples off the tree. After all the apples fall of two big eyes open on the hill and stares at you. Folks, just the sound of this skit starting up would send me running to my room or to the basement. I even ran out of the house once and my dad kept asking me why the tree scared me. To this day I don't know what it was that spooked me. I also don't think I would want to ever see that skit again.

Does any of this ring a bell? :big_grin:

Whatever

Reaction score
This isn't Muppets, but I was scared of the Disney Little Mermaid movie as a kid and I still can't watch it.

SesameMike

Reaction score
This reply is from a post made about six months ago.

Ernie was congratulating himself for baking a batch of chocolate cupcakes. He had seven "genuine homemade cuppycakes". Ernie decides to snap a photo of them, but when he goes to get his (huge) camera, Cookie Monster (or was it that other monster?) steals one. Ernie, puzzled at how there are only six cupcakes, places a spare on the pile. CM quickly swipes another, and Ernie adds the last "extra" cuppycake.

Ernie holds up his huge camera, and another hand (with Ernie sleeves) holds up a flash, he tells the cupcakes to "say 'cheese'" (???) then poof! Suddenly Ernie notices there only 6 cupcakes left. Then the camera goes "ding! thweh-weh-weh" indicating the photo is ready. Ernie pulls out a photograph of CM boldly popping one of the cupcakes in his mouth.

Ernie: "I think I have the answer!"
CM: (looking at the photo) "(That's) pretty".

A kid in my '71-'72 kindergarten class brought in a copy of this photo one day.

HarveyK

Reaction score
Scary and Weird

There was an episode I remember when Bert had a moustache and beard-very creepy. I was also freaked out when Ernie and Bert were cavemen.

The scariest to me was when there was a cartoonish episode where twenty orange balls were in a desert. They all lined up and slowly rolled away. Please, oh please, does anyone remember this?