What sketches scared you as a kid?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Swedish thing? I know Sesame Street kept it in most of the time, but I think after a while they just muted it off.

It's kinda creepy.

Oh yeah... I'm watching some of the original Swedish show these things came from... the elephant counting up to 20 has a much creepier (yet fittingly male) voice. if anything it makes more sense in Swedish. He's singing the numbers, and the 14 that gets stuck up is an obvious record skip.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, I just found this out...

The baby cooing was from the original electronic music that 5 Ants are more than 4 Elephants cartoons used for the background of these cartoons.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the song alone...

Reaction score
Scary Skits

I just found this forum and I have to tell you all, I read things here that I have not thought about in many, many years. I'm so happy to see that I am not the only one that was scared of Sesame Street skits.

I have 2 animated skits in particular that scared me. I am hoping that some of you may remember them.

skit #1: This was an animated skit that had a man telling the viewer that today he was introducing the letter M. This big red capital letter M then proceeded to eat a bunch of things that started with the letter M. Like marshmallows and milk. Then the M starts to actually eat away at the screen until everything is gone. This skit scared the **** out of me when I was a kid. I would turn the t.v. off untill I thought the skit was over. I actually got to see this skit again about 7 years ago. My niece was watching Sesame Street in another room and I heard the skit starting up. I ran to the room and watched it with her and I couldn't believe that it used to scare me.

skit #2: If skit #1 scared the **** out of me, then this one made me run to my room and not come out untill the whole show was over. It was another animated skit. I may be remembering it a little fuzzy, but I hope one of you recalls this. It starts out with this really ominous, droning music in the background you can see an apple tree. The apple tree is on top of a big green hill and suddenly, I think a cane, starts to pop up from behind the hill and poke apples off the tree. After all the apples fall of two big eyes open on the hill and stares at you. Folks, just the sound of this skit starting up would send me running to my room or to the basement. I even ran out of the house once and my dad kept asking me why the tree scared me. To this day I don't know what it was that spooked me. I also don't think I would want to ever see that skit again.

Does any of this ring a bell? :big_grin:

Hi! I know this thread was posted a while back, but I had to reply to your post.
I was EXTREMELY terrified of what I nicknamed "the apple tree"
It gave me night terrors and haunted me for decades!
I wouldn't even go to an apple orchard because I was afraid that the hideous face would show up!
The skit as I remember started out with an apple tree on a hill and Irish music with bagpipes were playing ( BTW I HATE the sound of bagpipes because of this clip) anyway, there was a chameleon (?) shooting its tongue out knocking off the apples, then when all the apples are knocked off, which here is the MOST SCARIEST part the camera pans out and you see this hideous face with a humgoues nose and mean face! Then thankfully it was over!!
I have to say that it showed up on YouTube and I told my kids and husband to see it, because I always described how I was terrified of bagpipes ect. They thought it was funny, but here's the kicker, my husband pulled it off of YouTube and placed it in photo shop and took it apart in mini pieces so I could see each little piece separately then when I got the courage I watched it in full. It still gave me the creeps but not as bad, but I will tell ya I would go out of my way to watch it again on YouTube! And as I was typing this, I gave my self goosebumps:smile:
There was 2 more night fueled haunting clips that I would NEVER watch again, not even chopping them up in photoshop would help, but it's late and I wanna get some sleep tonight!!
Take care,
~Clarkie~

wiley207

Reaction score
Hi! I know this thread was posted a while back, but I had to reply to your post.
I was EXTREMELY terrified of what I nicknamed "the apple tree"
It gave me night terrors and haunted me for decades!
I wouldn't even go to an apple orchard because I was afraid that the hideous face would show up!
The skit as I remember started out with an apple tree on a hill and Irish music with bagpipes were playing ( BTW I HATE the sound of bagpipes because of this clip) anyway, there was a chameleon (?) shooting its tongue out knocking off the apples, then when all the apples are knocked off, which here is the MOST SCARIEST part the camera pans out and you see this hideous face with a humgoues nose and mean face! Then thankfully it was over!!
I have to say that it showed up on YouTube and I told my kids and husband to see it, because I always described how I was terrified of bagpipes ect. They thought it was funny, but here's the kicker, my husband pulled it off of YouTube and placed it in photo shop and took it apart in mini pieces so I could see each little piece separately then when I got the courage I watched it in full. It still gave me the creeps but not as bad, but I will tell ya I would go out of my way to watch it again on YouTube! And as I was typing this, I gave my self goosebumps:smile:
There was 2 more night fueled haunting clips that I would NEVER watch again, not even chopping them up in photoshop would help, but it's late and I wanna get some sleep tonight!!
Take care,
~Clarkie~
That segment sure was freaky. Good thing I didn't see it when I was watching the show in the early 1990s. I think it was still rerun quite a bit until the end of the "Around the Corner" era.
I feature it in my YouTube Poop of "A Muppet Family Christmas," with the sound of a crowd gasping when it starts, Sam the Eagle commenting on it ("Is nothing sacred?!"), along with the last apple blowing up the eerie face on the hill and the chameleon mimicking Nelson's "HAW-HAW!"
But then it's followed by a clip from "Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas!" :big_grin: (It was to replace a commercial break, showing random Sesame Street/Muppet-themed moments; the whole poop itself was made in memory of Jerry Nelson.)

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
I can't believe I never mentioned this! There was one time when Big Bird wanted to spend time with Maria, but she was too busy asnswering phones and doing work. Big Bird is sad and ends up writing a story about a bird superhero (Blue Bird I think) who stops the villian (played by Maria) by burying her in telephones. I just remember Blue Bird being kinda scary looking, all serious and fierce, lol.

Hmm That's weird. I remember that Blue Bird kinda reminded me of Sam the Eagle.

InvaderZim

Reaction score
The one with the wind-up toys, robots and satiates and space shuttles from ep 2286. End part of Portrait d'un Robot was used in Australia's Play School as clock music (rocket clock).

Seems the latter show used the piece earlier than 1986 while SS used it from that year.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wasn't one who was frightened by that. I was more annoyed by it. That music was incredibly annoying.

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
I wasn't one who was frightened by that. I was more annoyed by it. That music was incredibly annoying.
I don't remember it being annoying. It was awesome. BTW, Did you know that the beginning part of that wind-up toys, robots, satellites, and space shuttle, used "Manege Aux Tuileries?" Manege Aux Tuileries is also composed by Janko Nilovic (The same composer who composed "Portrait D'un Robot"). BTW, I used to remember hearing "Manege Aux Tuileries" during the intermission at the Big Apple Circus in 1990.

misspiggy5260

Reaction score
This one doesn't scare me but it annoys the heck outta me! Abby's Flying Fairie School