What sketches scared you as a kid?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The Y for Yawn cartoon I actually didn’t mind. I was always pretty fascinated by the color change of the background and letter when night time arises. Yakkity Yak never scared me either, but I can understand why with that ending.

As for the Y for yell segment, that one just bothered me more than scared me. Generally speaking I never liked those skits at all, especially Q for Quack (the J for juggle one had some nice music though).

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
I didn’t mind most of the ones I listed, I just knew other people did.

Also, Q for Quack was one of my favorites as a kid.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
And here we are….. the final part of my series. These were certainly fun to make, but I’m happy to conclude it as well. FYI I had to re-record and add some spots, so if some audio bits sound different, that’s pretty much why.

@datman24 Thought you’d be happy to see what I included on number 7. :wink:
That video was totally awesome!

A great way to wrap up this series! :smile:.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Well, now that the trilogy of @LittleJerry92’s scariest SST segments is complete, I felt I might as well go ahead and share my thoughts on all 30 entries (from my perspective as a kid; for segments I never saw as a kid I’ll predict how I would’ve felt watching them). With that said, here’s my thoughts:

Part 1:
  • 10. I loved watching Lefty’s segments on sesamestreet.org. Though, I do get why someone would be scared by them.
  • 9. I absolutely adored this segment. Unlike Lefty, I don’t get what’s so scary here (though the video did a good job explaining why).
  • 8. Yeah, this would’ve given me nightmares had I seen it as a kid.
  • 7. Had I seen those creepy wind-up toys as a kid, I would probably be even more scared of them than I am already.
  • 6. I never minded this one.
  • 5. I never saw the season 30 episodes with those segments in them, but I bet I’d be unsettled if I had (though maybe not “scared” per se).
  • 4. Never saw Don on the show as a kid, but I bet he’d have cracked me up.
  • 3. I actually loved this segment as a kid, especially when Bip showed up.
  • 2. I don’t really know if Bushman Bill would’ve been that scary to me.
  • Since #1 is so important to this series, I’ll save it until the end.
Part 2:
  • 10. I loved this one as a kid too, I’m still trying to comprehend how I didn’t find it scary.
  • 9. That shot of the snake got me as a kid, but at least those letters looked cool.
  • 8. I don’t even remember this one, though I definitely saw episodes that included it.
  • 7. Yeah, this is unsettling…
  • 6. I never found this one scary either. Though given how it’s about easing fear, I can’t help but find it ironic that it’s on the list.
  • 5. This is no “Fat”, but I don’t find it scary either.
  • 4. I think I’d have been more intrigued by this than horrified.
  • 3. I hated these ones as a kid, but not necessarily due to fear.
  • 2. Yeah, when I saw this on YouTube for the first time, it wasn’t pleasant at all (those Zizzy Zoomers haunt my nightmares).
  • 1. Actually, I was the only one in my family who didn’t hate this one.
Part 3:
  • 10. I found these a lot more tolerable than the Safari bits.
  • 9. I found the beginning half kinda annoying, but the ending did scare me (even though I never saw it in the show).
  • 8. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again:
    Good lord, is Kermit with teeth horrifying!
  • 7. I never thought much of this one, but it didn’t scare me.
  • 6. Yeah, I feel I would’ve been scared of this one too.
  • 5. I’ve already said my piece about that segment here.
  • 4. I never found this one scary, nor do I really understand how it is scary to others (no offense).
  • 3. This one didn’t scare me. I hated it, but it didn’t scare me.
  • 2. I was mesmerized by this segment. The pretty colors flashing on the screen we’re so cool to look at.
  • 1. I only saw this once, but I hated it so much I never want to see it again.
And now, the elephant in the room, Wet Paint:
  • When I first saw Wet Paint on the Count it Higher DVD, it was love at first sight. The visuals were great, the song was catchy, and I found How Now Brown obsessing over wet paint at the end hilarious. What can I say, One man’s fear is another man’s pleasure.

Last edited:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Thanks for your honest feedback! In regards to 9 on part 1, generally speaking Sally Cruikshank’s animations could get a little….. weird, at times. I did find the song quite catchy, but that face just came out of no where and it did not sit well for me. I thought the camera would zoom in on the face and it would start talking or something like that. That one was pretty low cause I eventually got over it later on anyway.

In regards to number 4 on the final part, it was mostly his voice that did it for me. I had a love hate relationship with deep voices when I was a kid. Some weren’t bad, others came off a bit unsettling. The animation was also just kind of off putting as well. But I did like his little dance at the end.

Had I had the Count It Higher VHS I might have been able to get over my fear of “Wet Paint” quickly from re-watching the tape over and over (assuming I’d even have the courage to do so), but sadly my only exposures were through three (maybe 4) airings on the show (and I’m fairly certain it was one airing of 3289 because I remember Slimy flying the wet paint sign with the intro already starting off with the captions on screen), and 3483 twice cause I definitely remember seeing the final three paint splatters (blue, orange and yellow) cover the lens when the full clip first surfaced via @Boober_Gorg aka sawing14s on YouTube from 2847 (around this time I think seasons 25 and 24 were no longer airing on my PBS anyway), and they weren’t frequent so I’d just sit there and watch it in uncomfortness with how unnatural the video looked with the chroma-key.

What are your thoughts on my honorable mentions?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Fun fact, my dad was also creeped out by those blanks in shades from Fat Cat when he was young. He was already 14 by 1973, but his little sister watched Sesame Street so he got some exposure of the show, and yeah, he didn’t like those characters.

Around that time I finally got over my fear of the song via the Getting Ready to Read VHS (though still a bit slightly unnerved with how Bip would just kind of creep up from behind), I had a dream him and the blanks were trying to find me in my own house at night time when I was in my bed. I had to hide myself under the covers for my safety.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
As promised, here’s my thoughts on the honorable mentions:

Part 1:
  • This is My J: I probably would’ve just been sad about the J breaking at the end.
  • Bellhop #8: I didn’t like this one either, but not due to fear. I just felt bad for him when those trunks fell on him.
  • Parade of Numbers: Despite my fear of Mardi Gras masks, I’ve always loved these bits.
  • Right in the Middle of My Face: I probably wouldn’t have been scared of this one.
  • Exploring in Your Closet: I’ve always hated this one, but I don’t think it’s scary. Boring, yes. Scary, not really.
Part 2:
  • Surprise Bubble Cartoon: This probably would’ve scared me, especially since I don’t function well waiting for the inevitable.
  • Secret Knock: Given how I liked Lefty’s segments as a kid, I probably would’ve liked this too.
  • Before/After Chair: This one seems like it’d intrigue me more than it’d scare me.
  • Yuri the Yak: Yikes! Yeah, I agree this one’s yucky.
  • Imagine That: I loved this one, but as I get older, it does seem kinda stressful.
Part 3:
  • F for Faces/Wasted Electricity Cartoons: I’ve always hated Lisa Crafts’ segments (except the Rubber Stamp series), so my opinion on these should be obvious.
  • Healthy Food: I love SST’s broccoli puppet, and I love this song. Had I seen this as a kid, I bet I’d love it.
  • A Girl Sleeping Imagines Cartoon: Like the Human Body segment (#8 in part 2), I saw this as a kid, but I don’t remember it.
  • Letters in Space Cartoons: I remember liking these as a kid.

Last edited:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
To be honest the Before and After cartoon I feel silly on now knowing what that music actually was now. But at that time it sounded like some weird African rainforest music in some kind of spiritual form based off the chair.

I also am 99% convinced I had at least one Sesame Street nightmare based off Exploring in your Closet. That stop motion just…. Was nauseating and uncomfortable to watch. (I had the worst love-hate relationship with stop motion)