What sketches scared you as a kid?

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Does anybody remember the animated sketch where a hand draws a picture of a castle and then a dragon suddenly comes out and roars loudly? Because of the loud roaring sounds and the fact that the huge dragon just appears so suddenly without any sort of warning.

I'm surprised that nobody (at least not to my knowledge) has ever reportedly been scared of that segment. All of the YouTube comments I found were just talking about how much they loved it as kids. I personally was never exposed to it until fairly recently but it just seems like the whole concept could easily scar a young child who's never seen it before.

hooperfan

Reaction score
Does anybody remember the animated sketch where a hand draws a picture of a castle and then a dragon suddenly comes out and roars loudly? Because of the loud roaring sounds and the fact that the huge dragon just appears so suddenly without any sort of warning.

I'm surprised that nobody (at least not to my knowledge) has ever reportedly been scared of that segment. All of the YouTube comments I found were just talking about how much they loved it as kids. I personally was never exposed to it until fairly recently but it just seems like the whole concept could easily scar a young child who's never seen it before.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Quick question:Were some of the classic Sesame Street cartoons animated by the same people who did Schoolhouse Rock? Because this one (as well as many others from that era) give me some major Schoolhouse Rock vibes.

hooperfan

Reaction score
Quick question:Were some of the classic Sesame Street cartoons animated by the same people who did Schoolhouse Rock? Because this one (as well as many others from that era) give me some major Schoolhouse Rock vibes.
No, the Muppet Wiki entry for the illustrator doesn't make any mention of Schoolhouse Rock

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
No, the Muppet Wiki entry for the illustrator doesn't make any mention of Schoolhouse Rock

And what’s interesting is that his son is Adam Savage, who was on MythBusters.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
One other segment to add to my "scary" segment list.

It is the "Scanimate H" segment, which was shown in the late 1970s and early 1980s. I cannot stand the wavy effect surrounding a still image of Maria midway through the segment. I had no issues with Maria in live-action, though. Plus, there are other issues associated with this segment that I won't reveal here.

ISNorden

Reaction score
The one that scared me as a kid was the animated segment from the 90s or late 80s of computer animated fish counting down, suddenly this Sand Tiger Shark comes on screen looking sort of realistic with demon eyes with a deep voice "ONE!", I would always hide or shut my eyes if I see that and can't wait until it's all over, sometimes I would forget it's the same segment and my heart would start racing in fear. Then of course feel a heck of a lot better when Ernie and Bert would come up next lol :smile: They were always my favorites on Sesame, that and the Honkers, Dingers and the Yip Yip Martians.​

That animation with the fish was about "all/some/none"; the creepy shark saying "ONE" frightened "all" the others away at the end (he literally hadn't been there until then).

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Bump.
Here are a few that scared me as a kid (I was born in 2004, so these segments will be more recent a bit more recent, although some older ones I may have seen through YouTube).
  • The Game of Make Believe: This song is mostly fine and kinda catchy, except for that snake that appears out of nowhere like a jumpscare. Since I'm afraid of snakes, this is definitely one of the scariest SST segments for me, and I'm still not too fond of it today.
  • Monster in the Mirror (celebrity version): Here's one I saw on YT. I really liked the Monster in the Mirror song as a kid, and I found this on YT so I watched it. I was surprised to see a whole lot of faces I didn't recognize singing, but none did I recognize less than the Simpson family. Them appearing in the picture at the end just scared me as a kid. Luckily, after I started watching the Simpsons, I've grown to love this version.
  • Larry King interviews the letter W: I was very scared of the part where the W blew Larry away. It was the sole reason I never watched my All Star Alphabet DVD and I always feared episodes with the letter W as I thought this segment would be there. It never was, and I eventually overcame my fear of it anyway.
  • Number of the Day - 0: The organ disappearing out of nowhere (pun intended) just rubbed me the wrong way, but the worst part was since I paid no attention to what the Count was saying at the beginning of each segment, I never knew if it'd be this one until it was too late. Like the 2 above it, I've overcome my fear of this one too.
Well, that's all I can think of right now. I'll be back if I remember some more.

Any Del

Reaction score
Some of the Elmo's World episodes back in Season 30. Mostly the sound effects of the computer generated furniture.