What sketches scared you as a kid?

Katzi428

Reaction score
Preety much any sketch with that old, ominous music. You know with some of the really early monster sketches that ominous music? Makes me shudder. The "world's greatest counter" Ernie and Bert also scared me. Bert running into the camera should make everyone scream with terror. I don't even wan't to think about it. :eek:
I think when they showed the sketch w/Ernie "the world's greatest counter of numbers" again , they cut out Bert running into the camera. (I'm pretty sure it unnerved a lot of kids.myself included!:eek:)

galagr

Reaction score
I think when they showed the sketch w/Ernie "the world's greatest counter of numbers" again , they cut out Bert running into the camera. (I'm pretty sure it unnerved a lot of kids.myself included!:eek:)
Yeah, it was cut from the american version, but it stayed the same in the German version. The clip is even MORE terrifying in that version because Berts' voice and screaming is high pitched. :eek:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well there's another Ernie and Bert insert from the 80s I believe: yet another Ernie keeping Bert awake all night, involving the balloons they got at a party (Ernie wanted to set them free); the sketch ends with Bert running into the other room, where you can hear him screaming his lungs out, as well as the sounds of glass breaking and shattering.

galagr

Reaction score
Well there's another Ernie and Bert insert from the 80s I believe: yet another Ernie keeping Bert awake all night, involving the balloons they got at a party (Ernie wanted to set them free); the sketch ends with Bert running into the other room, where you can hear him screaming his lungs out, as well as the sounds of glass breaking and shattering.
Hmm. I don't remember ever hearing of or seeing this sketch. Is it scarier or less scary than the "world's greatest counter skit"?

Reaction score
A couple of things that 'freaked me out' as a young viewer:

1. The clip featuring a man's face changing shape. It's a cartoon, and everytime his nose or other facial features would change, it would be accompanied by a creaky door sound. Shivers up my spine, brrr!
Hi there! I'm new to this wonderful forum and glad to know I'm in good company! I have read this whole thread all 51 pages and I had to reply to this particular thread! The cartoon that you are referring to with the man face changing shape gave me severe nightmares! They was also a lady that did the same thing nose changing the whole bit! I would scream loud that I think the neighbors thought my mom was beating me to death! I couldn't even go up to the tv to change the channel because I was terrified that it would come through the tv! That was the most scariest thing I ever saw on ss. One time when it came on, I was literally trying to climb the wall to escape! To this day I can't look at morphing faces or pictures of drawings my kids do of profiles because this clip gave me such truama that I would burst out in tears! If it ever showed up on YouTube, I would never look at YouTube again. All I can say is that is far most the creepiest, scariest and traumatizing clip ever! Now that my hair is standing on end, I hope I can sleep tonight!
2. Batman and Robin segments - two I remember feature someone using a handkerchief to clean a dirty window and Batman throwing a boomerang through a window. I think there was also a third one which started out showing Joker or Penguin running out of some building, but I'm not too sure.

Even at the age of 32, remembering things like these still gives me the creeps and makes my stomach want to do a somersault.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Dr Tooth always reminds me of more that freaked me out.

There was one were a bird skeleton and a elephant skeleton are in a locker room after a basket ball game. It's animated "If you could call it that"...the background is black and white but the characters are color...I think...Any how...they both open their lockers at the same time and both their skins fall out into one pile and they don't know who's skin was whos (???!!!). SO - they just grab random articles of...skin. From off screen you can hear them both grunting and struggling...and then the girl gym teacher walks in and says..."Great game guys, OH NO!" and they show the elephant skeleton with various parts of bird's skin stretched over his frame and some of his own too...but in the wrong places...and the bird has the same thing going on. The gym teacher says something about cooperating...and quickly goes to work, going back and forth between the two, snatching various pieces of elephant's skin off of bird and various pieces of bird's skin off the elephant. (as she does this she's chanting like she's dealing cards "bird, elephant, bird, bird, elephant bird - There now you're all dressed."

That was weird one. Please tell me SOME ONE remembers that so I know I'm not insane.:confused:

I definitely recall seeing that cartoon as a girl; some of the older episodes in my collection might have it too, but I'll have to check. Oddly enough, the sight of the animals stripped down to walking skeletons never scared me; I was crazy about monsters and spooky stuff back then, unlike most girls in pre-school. My biggest Sesame Street scares involved any character falling and/or hurting himself--yes, that includes the "Number Song" films with the clumsy baker. I loved the catchy counting lessons, but always dreaded the ending where the poor baker carried those desserts downstairs! :ouch:

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm new to this wonderful forum and glad to know I'm in good company! I have read this whole thread all 51 pages and I had to reply to this particular thread! The cartoon that you are referring to with the man face changing shape gave me severe nightmares! They was also a lady that did the same thing nose changing the whole bit! I would scream loud that I think the neighbors thought my mom was beating me to death! I couldn't even go up to the tv to change the channel because I was terrified that it would come through the tv! That was the most scariest thing I ever saw on ss. One time when it came on, I was literally trying to climb the wall to escape! To this day I can't look at morphing faces or pictures of drawings my kids do of profiles because this clip gave me such truama that I would burst out in tears! If it ever showed up on YouTube, I would never look at YouTube again. All I can say is that is far most the creepiest, scariest and traumatizing clip ever! Now that my hair is standing on end, I hope I can sleep tonight!

ISNorden

Reaction score
Aaa! Bert went BESERK! I don't think i've ever seen Bert snap like that. I don't know, I still find the "world's greatest counter" more terrifying.

The original video clip is gone, unfortunately; could someone who's actually seen it describe what happens, please?