What Muppets scared you as a child?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I was scared of The Count but I also remember him being my favorite SS muppet.

LinkLady77

Reaction score
OK, does anyone out there remember a scary blue monster, with eyelids that retracted and made his eyes bigger and scarier. I think his name was Fred and he had a mouth that turned down at the edges. He spoke with a very deep, rumbly voice. He always scared me. I remember there was one skit where he was talking to Ernie (I think) and he let out this terrible roar. The screen went from color to a blinding white and the skit ended. Geez, I just gave myself goosebumps!
Oh...my...goodness. I remember that sketch when I was little (the screen going white at the end and everything)!! That totally used to freak me out as a kid. The scary blue monster was Beautiful Day Monster. When he made a little cameo on The Muppets TV show a few years ago, I freaked out seeing him (and he didn't look any cuter with a hat on either). I think I've just programmed my nightmares for the next few years...yikes!

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
Frazzle. I have no idea why, but Frazzle used to scare the beejeebies out of me when I was a kid.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I used to be scared of Digit :electric: from "The Jim Henson Hour" probably because of how lifelike he looks. I saw him for the first time on the VHS "Muppet Sing Alongs: It's Not Easy Being Green" in the "Sweet Vacation" video at the end, I had to leave the room when it got to that part.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
Also both me and my brother used to be afraid of Janice :flirt: probably because of her voice and how she always had her eyes closed.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I already told you guys about how I hated the demon scene in "Big Bird in Japan". One thing I forgot about was how much The Monkey King from "Big Bird in China" scared me. I always found him very unsettling and had to leave the room whenever he showed up.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I remember being scared of Harvey Kneeslapper when I was a little kid. It was his googly eyes and terrifying laugh that scared the crap out of me

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
When I was small, my family had a weekly tradition we'd look forward to. After a long week of work and in my case school, my family and I would always sit down and watch whatever episode (new or rerun) of Saturday Night Live that was being played. Obviously I didn't understand many of the jokes because I was young and the show clearly appeals to an older demographic, I mainly just enjoyed it because it gave me an opportunity to stay up late and hang out with the people I love. Not to mention, I also remember absolutely adoring some of the musical guests as well.

But then one night when I was about 9 or 10 years old, my dad announced that he found an airing of the first ever episode of SNL. I was quite excited to see how far the show I was familiar with had evolved and my parents were looking forward to the nostalgia factor of the episode (they grew up with the originals back in the 70s).

I was fine with everything in the episode until a certain sketch came on that absolutely terrified me. It was The Land of Gorch.

First things first, JUST LOOK AT THESE CREEPY MUPPETS!

Those things just stepped straight out of the uncanny valley.

Also the bizarre atmosphere of the Gorch planet and the fact that there were no live humans interacting with the Muppets only added to the bizarre, otherworldly, alien-esque, feel the sketch had.

Also if I recall there may have been creepy background music playing as well. Maybe I'm thinking of something else so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I remember taking a blanket on the couch and hiding under it until the sketch ended and the regular SNL show presumed as normal.

Of course, we continued our weekly tradition of watching SNL despite that negative experience but my parents made sure to promise me that if we ever came across another Land of Gorch segment they will be sure to fast forward through that part right away.

I thought for years that The Land of Gorch was just some weird, realistic fever dream I had (most likely because the dreamlike quality of the segments, how they were vastly different than any other SNL sketch, and because it's so ridiculously obscure).

Until one day, I was doing a school project about the history of SNL and as soon as I saw that name "The Land of Gorch" on one of the pages. All those horrific memories started flooding back to me.

Snowwie0319

Reaction score
Cookie Monster because he was hooked on cookies like crack. His eyes were NEVER straight and furthermore he doesn’t use proper english wish little me knew was definitely not ok!