What Muppets scared you as a child?

WereFox

Reaction score
OK, does anyone out there remember a scary blue monster, with eyelids that retracted and made his eyes bigger and scarier. I think his name was Fred and he had a mouth that turned down at the edges. He spoke with a very deep, rumbly voice. He always scared me. I remember there was one skit where he was talking to Ernie (I think) and he let out this terrible roar. The screen went from color to a blinding white and the skit ended. Geez, I just gave myself goosebumps!
Beautiful Day Monster?

jobi71

Reaction score
The correct answer to this question is Beautiful Day Monster (I remember when he had teeth!). He is now one of my most favorite characters and I hope and wish a figure or plush or something of him were made - far fetched eh?

chudman1000

Reaction score
Number one answer for me is Animal. I was terrified by him when I was a kid. I remember my friend even used to pull out his playing piece from his Muppet Show board game, and his photo alone would send me running. Of course back then Animal was a lot scarier then he is now. ( Modern Animal is almost more "cutesy" then he was back then, when he would literally attack others.) I even used to have nightmares of him when I was a kid, so it was pretty ironic that as a grown up when I got his Master Replicas puppet, I literally had him standing on my tall dresser in my room towering over me while I slept lol.

Other more minor runner ups: Yoda, Sammy the Snake, that witch on Sesame Street, the Egyptian Bert and Ernie (plus Ernie with the crazy eyes when the Count wouldn't let him sleep), and the ghost Kermit from Disco Frog. I think Frazzle also fell into this category. Even though I didn't see much of him when I was a kid, I remember he appeared on some Sesame Street bedding I had, where he creeped me out. My mom keeps telling that story though thinking that it was Cookie monster, but it really wasn't.

And finally: Oscar's feet! Seriously! I had no problems with Oscar, and even liked him, but whenever they would show him walking or running around in his trash can where just his feet stuck out, that creeped me out. Don't ask me why because I can not fathom for the life of me any reason for it. I guess that is just the way you perceive things when you are little, even when it makes no sense whatsoever.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
I was only scared of the Tornado from the Elmo's World episode "Weather", and Bear from Bear in the Big Blue House. Other than those two, I wasn't scared of any other Muppets.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Honestly, in terms of just Muppet characters, I can name a few:

Bushman Bill - just that voice Brian Muehl gave for him terrified me. "HEY!!!!!!!!!" And his appearance was also pretty intidimating.

Bip Bippadotta - only in Fat Cat specifically. When he'd run up to the camera and shout out his loud, fast-paced scats. The three blank Anything's were also pretty creepy, especially the blue one voiced by Frank Oz.

Vincent Twice, Vincent Twice - do I even need to explain?

Ernie with those "zombie" eyes when the Count comes to sleep over.

Kermit with teeth. Yikes....

The Guy Smiley captain in "Spaceship Surprise!" - his loud voice bothered me, and this was sometimes an issue I had with Guy Smiley in general as a kid.

Lefty the Salesman - his loud shushes bothered me.

Don Music - the loud "BANG!!!!!" Sound on his piano whenever he'd hit his head in frustration

Maurice Monster in "Frazzle" - just that low, bass voice Jerry gave for him kinda creeped me out. I was weird.

The broccoli in Healthy Food - self-explanatory

Animal - only when I first saw him in the Great Muppet Caper.

And I also remember being a little intimidated by Sinister Sam in the "I wanna know Y!" Old West skit.

That's all I can really recall at the moment.