1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31, 2019.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

What Made you Think Today?

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by CaseytheMuppet, Oct 30, 2012.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

This is one of the main reasons I'm glad, in hindsight, that I never went to college, university, trade school, vocational school, whatever - even though I actually grew up during a time where if you went to college and got your degrees, that was almost a guarantee you'll end up in a decent job in your chosen career field . . . not so. I honestly don't know of anyone my age or generation who went to college, and got work in the field they chose - let alone a decent job, period.

2. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

No chances? Why not? Maybe there just aren't enough jobs in the field in your particular city. Maybe consider saving up to move someplace where it's much likelier to find work suited to your degrees? Job markets change. For instance, my bro-in-law moved from CA to CO and now to WI: he's a games programmer. And found an indie company in Madison doing the work he enjoys. If you're not finding anything available in your area, broaden your search.

LittleJerry92 and Pig's Laundry like this.
  3. newsmanfan

It affects other things, though. My company hires almost no one without a degree; and even though this is the first office job I've ever worked, I was able to completely bypass the usual career track and go right into a more intensive department due to my degree and literacy level.

4. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Getting your dream job might not be possible right away. But there are plenty of decent jobs you can only get with some kind of a degree. I think, it's wise to get a not so cool job, get the experience and more financial mobility, so that it becomes easier later on to make a living off of what you truly enjoy.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    LittleJerry92 and Froggy Fool like this.
  5. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Nah, I feel that. I’ve had those thoughts if the time ever comes. Honestly I was in an awful mood when I wrote that but have thankfully found some more oppurtinies in my area that I’m applying for.

But no, if it ever does get to that point, I might move to NY. I’d try Cali too if it wasn’t so **** hot up there.

newsmanfan likes this.
  6. D'Snowth

I just recently learned that Freeform, the successor to ABC Family, a Christian network, will be airing FAMILY GUY now, which I thought was absolutely crazy, but then I got to thinking: why should this even surprise me at all? After all, even way back when, ABC Family would air all kinds of teen dramas full of gay and lesbian sex - followed by the ol' fart Pat Robertson complaining about the "gay mafia" trying to take over the world. So, yeah, nothing real surprising here.

7. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

That show is going to look really out of place on there.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  8. LittleJerry92

Honestly, work at JC Penny’s was so boring today that I literally day dreamed my alternative quintent of characters from my original work, A Group of Five, dancing to the electro music playing.

[​IMG]

9. MikaelaMuppet

What do you do at JC Penny's?

10. LittleJerry92

11. MikaelaMuppet

Thank you. I like your artwork by the way.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  12. MikaelaMuppet

13. newsmanfan

Crappy week at work, but in trying to turn my thoughts away from stressful situations, it suddenly hit me how to get around the plot issue I'd been having in my current work in progress (writing). Which in turn improved my mood and helped me get through the worst of the week. Subjective proof, I guess, that mental multitasking can aid in solving multiple problems?

14. D'Snowth

Seeing the news of Notre Dame being up in flames (and that the cathedral's stire has collapsed as a result), I honestly couldn't help but think about Frollo burning down parts of Paris in search of Esmeralda.

15. LittleJerry92

“20 silver pieces for the Gypsy Esmeralda...”

16. D'Snowth

Nobody knows anything about the origin of the fire, but as soon as I saw the footage on TV, my first thought was this was another terrorist attack by ISIS or something, given the way the world is today (and that Paris seems to be a favorite target for ISIS).

17. newsmanfan

Fire started by renovation, accidentally. Although I saw a truly wonderful twitter thread by Oliver Willis making Evil Michele Obama fanfic out of the conspiracy theory that "the libs" somehow started the fire. Utterly hilarious.

18. D'Snowth

I did see where Fox News was actually criticizing the way Paris's fire departments responded to and handled the situation . . . I'm honestly surprised they didn't find some way to blame Obama or the libs for the fire.

Actually, I'm more surprised that Trump didn't take the opportunity to tweet something along the lines of, "If I was in Paris, I would've run into the cathedrul and put the fire out myself with all the holy water they had on hand. Nobody puts out fires better than me."

19. D'Snowth

We've talked before about how sad we think it is that we're seeing kids being handed phones, tablets, and other flat screen devices almost as soon as they're born, and while it's sure to have ill effects on the children growing up in the logn run, I got to thinking about it, and you know what I was given almost as soon as I was born? The magic of motion pictures . . . and I'm starting to wonder if that affected me growing up into me becoming the artistic and creative person that I am today? I'm pretty sure I saw Roger Rabbit before I could even walk or talk (I know my mom loves to cite that she saw the movie in theaters when she was pregnant with me).

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  20. LittleJerry92

I mean, I have quite fond memories of watching lots of Sesame Street and Thomas the Tank Engine in between the ages of 2 and 3..... so it’s possible.

I mean, hey, I’m certainly creative myself. :p