1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    Our forum upgrade is on schedule for Saturday May 25 at 9 am central, 10 am eastern. The forum will be off-line for a minimum of eight hours.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

What Made You Roll Your Eyes Today Thread?

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by D'Snowth, Aug 18, 2011.

1. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

Um. Some of these are more disturbing than the run-of-the-mill nonsense one finds online. Has your friend ever talked to a psychiatrist about any of this? I am granted only an armchair psych, but seriously I wonder if your friend suffers from schizophrenia. If they genuinely believe all this, it could easily lead to more damaging stuff, self-harm, harm to others... Do they not have any family members concerned about them enough to get them to see a doctor?

2. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

Funny you said that now because a few weeks ago he was tested by his parents and has since been diagnosed as schizophrenic as well as bipolar and Autistic. What an awful combination :cry:.

3. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

Man, that's rough. I sincerely hope he gets the treatment he needs.

Flaky Pudding likes this.
  4. Flaky Pudding

A news story I read about a black man who works with all white employees. His name was Daryl but they gave him the nickname Dan. For a long time, he just assumed it was your average friendly nickname but years later he eventually discovered that Dan was supposed to be an acronym for "dumb a** n****r,". Man, people are disgusting :mad:.

LittleJerry92 and Pig's Laundry like this.
  5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

That's horrible! Imagine knowing someone for so long only to find out that relationship was a big joke.
    That's just so messed up.

6. Flaky Pudding

I can understand giving Transformers, Scooby Doo, Popeye, or G.I. Joe their own live action movies. But why Dora of all things? It's just so weird that they decided to turn a show for preschoolers into a more mature action adventure film. What's next are they going to make Oswald the Octopus into Oswald Cobblepot from Batman (The Penguin's real name) lol:

7. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I mean...it looks like your typical generic indiana jones ripoff but

all things considered it really doesnt look awful

Flaky Pudding likes this.
  8. datman24

datman24 Well-Known Member

It may not look awful in hindsight, but when you get down to the very fact that this a mature adaption of a cartoon made for toddlers, you have to wonder what was going through the minds of these executives who thought this was a good idea? This should be a joke, and I truly wish it was. Never mind the fact that I never liked ‘Dora’ in the first place, but I gotta ask, who was this even made for? ‘Dora’ isn’t exactly one of those shows that people who grew up watching it look back fondly on, and I doubt anyone else outside of the target audience for the show will have any interest seeing it, either, just because it has the ‘Dora’ name attached to it. You know what I bet is going to happen, some dumb parents are going to take their little ones to see it thinking it be just like the cartoon they watch on television, but when they walk out of that theater seeing what they just saw, they’re going to start complaining how innaproriate it was for them and the things they did to their child’s favorite character.

9. Sgt Floyd

i guarantee you that there will be a whole lot of people who go to see it ironically. mostly bored college students with nothing else better to do.

10. ConsummateVs

ConsummateVs Well-Known Member

Trump is holding a rally in my state right now, and not too far from where I live, either. :rolleyes:

11. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

12. BertFan

BertFan Well-Known Member

You know parodies exist right?

13. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Considering Nickelodeon themselves are producing the movie (and Dora is a Nick property), I highly doubt this is supposed to be a parody.

BertFan likes this.
  14. datman24

I wish it was, though. I kind of wish they did it in the same vein as this.

newsmanfan likes this.
  15. Sgt Floyd

Yes, and you obviously dont know what a parody is

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  16. BertFan

BertFan Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

17. Flaky Pudding

What made me roll my eyes today? Just this entire video:

Futurama never crosses the line as far as I'm concerned. I only got offended by the show one time during it's whole 7 season run (it was the scene where Zoidberg dresses up like Jesus and the only reason it offended me was because I used to have serious issues with religious jokes. They don't bother me anymore though).

Having been a huge fan of Futurama for years that has seen every episode at least once, I find it ridiculous that anyone could possibly find Matt Groening's hilarious sci-fi parody offensive in any way.

I like Futurama for the same reason I like Happy Tree Friends. Sure some of the jokes are inappropriate from time to time, but there's always some sort of cleverness behind the shocking jokes. Despite featuring more sexual and gross out jokes than you can count, Futurama's talented team of writers handled these sensitive topics in a way that was undeniably witty and creative each time.

In a world where tons of highly offensive adult cartoons as well as similarly dark live action shows like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia exist, Futurama is practically innocent. I can almost guarantee that none of the jokes listed on WatchMojo's video was intended to offend anybody, I think the writers were just having fun with the limitless creative potential that the art form of animation has. Cartoons are a great way to showcase any surreal idea you have without people taking it too seriously. Futurama is a perfect example of that. It always carried a very unique, experimental tone to it. Some downright bizarre concepts that had never been seen before in the world of animation were shown in that series. Sometimes creative people need to push boundaries here and there, what's the fun of adult animation if you can't get extremely weird/borderline disturbing every now and then?

That WatchMojo list only showed how easily offended people are nowadays. Throughout the entire duration of the video, I found myself scratching my head and thinking,

"How exactly did this go too far?"

So yeah, that was a huge eye roller for me.

newsmanfan likes this.
  18. ConsummateVs

ConsummateVs Well-Known Member

I mean, it's WatchMojo. Should we really be surprised they made another stupid list?

19. Flaky Pudding

Yeah, WatchMojo totally sucks.

ConsummateVs likes this.
  20. datman24

WatchMojo is clickbait.

ConsummateVs likes this.