- Apr 20, 2019
- Reaction score
Even as someone who’s not into Thomas (I never really saw the show), I can admit this “reboot” is an absolute train wreck (pun absolutely intended). And I have a few reasons why.
- The animation is terrible. The characters barely resemble their original counterparts and it focuses way too much on the cartoony angle. Trains can’t move like this in real life, and from what I’ve seen, they don’t in the original series either (especially since they used real model trains to stay realistic).
- On that note, the unrealistic design of this show, especially for something as rigid as trains, makes little to no sense.
- The characters’ voices sound obnoxious. I get the appeal of “children voicing children” (well, occasionally I do), but was Thomas even a child in the original show? Even if so, I’m sure the voice the narrator gave him was a lot more tolerable than this.
- I know the term “baby show” gets thrown around a lot when referring to preschool shows (I for one rarely agree with it, though I have exceptions, including this show), but this show actually feels like they made it with babies in mind. Think about it: Bright flashy colors, overly cartoony animation, obnoxious voices, and annoying songs. Sounds like the perfect formula for a show to annoy everyone over the age of 1.
- Most preschool shows that have stood the test of time (e.g. Sesame Street), have something to appeal to the parents/guardians of the target audience. This has none of that, thus making it feel more like the substance-less Teletubbies (though I’ve heard even that’s appealing if you bring your own substances…)