What is your least favorite Muppet Movie?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The one scene that I particularly like is Miss Piggy with all her cats..... because, well, cats. 🐱

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Personally, I'm a fan of Very Merry Muppet Christmas. It has its flaws but I like the Muppet Show-esque style and the abundance of characters that were shelved during the 90's era. Far from perfect, usually due to the tedious human characters, but I find it rather enjoyable.

DMHFan

Reaction score
I find It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie to be okay.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
That was a tad unsettling, yes.
To quote episode 25 of Getting Felt Up a puppetry podcast:
Kirk Thatcher: We got so many letters about how horrible it was that Scooter was dancing in leather shorts and just how horrible the world was without Kermit. We were like "Yeah, that's the point!"
Nate Begle: That was the point, you're supposed to be unsettled by that!
Kirk: Muppet fans are very die-hard and protective about what they feel the Muppets are, and in particular Christmas specials, there's a large group of people who are devoutly Christian who feel the Muppets are emblematic of Christian values, which is great, they think they represent all the good things about loving each other and forgiving and all that, and I think that's fine. But if we do anything that goes against one of their tenets, we get some die-hard fans who say they won't let their children watch a Muppet thing again because of what we did or said. When we had Whoopi Goldberg play God, huge outcry! I don't know if it was cause she was a woman or African-American, or cause we showed her face, like with Muslims you can't show the face of the Prophet. People were furious, writing letters about how we ruined the Muppets, and we were like "That's just not what the Muppets are about." They're like "Of course God could be a lovely black woman." The idea was it appears to you in the way you can process it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Kermit aside, the whole Scooter cage dancing thing still just comes out of left field . . . and again, I'm not saying the Muppets aren't edgy, because they've always had an edge to them, but this felt like they were pushing the envelope a little too far.

But as far as the Christian thing goes, I remember there being some low-key outcry over the casting of Ricky Gervais in MMW simply because he's openly atheistic, and some of those people felt he had no business being anywhere near the Muppets because of it. I'm surprised these same people were never bothered by the numerous openly gay entertainers who have performed alongside both the Classic Muppets and even Sesame Muppets like Elton John, Ellen DeGeneres, Michael Jeter, or Nathan Lane (of course, there was that big stink about Billy Porter wearing a dress. . . .) or the many different musical artists and groups who have had a lot of their dirty laundry aired publicly.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
It goes without saying that the muppets aren't meant for children per say. That one of my biggest problems with the muppets nowadays is the characters and plotlines have been reworked completely so they appeal to younger audiences. Honestly I can sort of see where they were going with most of that scene and a lot of it makes sense for the characters but stripper Scooter was frankly very disturbing and disgusting to watch

TheRealFraggle

Reaction score
Of the theatrical films, probably The Muppets because of the heavy focus on the uninteresting human characters, and because I didn't like the new voices for all the (formerly) Frank Oz characters. If you include made-for-TV and direct-to-video films, I'd definitely go with The Muppets' Wizard of Oz (can you say Pepe touching Gonzo's nipples!), though Kermit's Swamp Years and It's a Very Long Frickin Title are awful too...