Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
that is a good idea Heralde, that is so true , really hope that is true i mean that they thing that kids do like older things .
Aw thanks, I mean that's the only thing that would really break my heart with this project, heh. But I'll still keep the faith!

But...either way, I just hope the movie doesn't suddenly become more available and considered more "Fraggle canon" than the original series. That does happen often.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Aw thanks, I mean that's the only thing that would really break my heart with this project, heh. But I'll still keep the faith!

But...either way, I just hope the movie doesn't suddenly become more available and considered more "Fraggle canon" than the original series. That does happen often.
Oh, I'm sure that won't happen on the longtime fan level, I wouldn't worry until we get flooded with newbies:coy:. Even then, we can point them to the 80's show:excited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh, I'm sure that won't happen on the longtime fan level, I wouldn't worry until we get flooded with newbies. Even then, we can point them to the 80's show
Yeah it's those newbies that make me nervous, hehe (jk).

Well you know, people who might say, "I liked the movie better than the show!" Now I DO realize everyone is entitled to their opinion, hehe. I just don't want the companies to start favoring one opinion over the other. :wink:

But yes Redsonga, some of this will be our job! :wink:

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
I hope the artists brought to the project are indeed class acts and do the soundtrack justice. The addition of "big names" should give the film stronger legs and provide added value to a (hopefully by then) still hot property.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Redsonga said:
Oh, I'm sure that won't happen on the longtime fan level, I wouldn't worry until we get flooded with newbies:coy:. Even then, we can point them to the 80's show:excited:
Here's the thing about "newbies", though: If the movie is going to be AU (since others mentioned Doc wouldn't "supposed to be" our Doc but an AU Doc), then the series really can't get retconned by the movie. Should the movie grow into something more, it would most likely deal with the AU. The Transformers movie doesn't take away the series from the 80s because it wasn't meant to. It's AU. As long as the AU Fraggles are well-written, I don't care much if it's a carbon copy of the show. Part of the reason I never really got into JHH (1st half, anyway) or MT is that they tried to be something they could never be. They couldn't be the Muppet Show. Yes, it's nice to have a "sequel", follow-ups to what we older fans have seen ... the only way to do that is to have an actual sequel, not just replace culture fads and technology. If you're not going to do that, and Edwards said earlier that it won't be technically a true sequel ... then keeping the spirit but making it AU is better.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Here's the thing about "newbies", though: If the movie is going to be AU (since others mentioned Doc wouldn't "supposed to be" our Doc but an AU Doc), then the series really can't get retconned by the movie.
Well, you would think so, but I have seen plenty of fans of new movies based on older series who do think so, AU or not:stick_out_tongue:. That's the only reason why I said that as long as there is someone to remember and point to those older shows (especially with as much fraggley love as we have here:excited:) they won't be overshadowed too much in the 'Ooo, I like the new movie better, it's so shiny!' way:coy:.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cory Edwards clearly states that he doesn't want his Fraggle film to be filled with kiddie-pop. It's safe to assume he also means Disney pop fodder too. I hope these big names are timeless pop song writers. Edwards seems to be on the right track so far so I trust him with this too. I doubt the easily dated cast of High School Musical or nearly passe lip-syncing Kanye West will be asked to contribute. :coy:
Remember in the period between 1999-2001 whan EVERY single movie had to use that "Hey now, You're an All star" song clumsily worked into it? And by the time the 2001 movies that had it came out, the song was so out dated, it wasn't funny (Shrek...cough cough...) It would be totally inadvisable to put HM or the Jonases in the film in any way, since by 2011, they'll have fallen out of fashion completely (I keep seeing so much of that stuff on deep clearance, it isn't even funny... though I am oblige to a Schadenfreude laugh at their expense).

I'd love to see the big name come in as someone really timeless who has worked with the Muppets on multiple occasion... James Taylor or Paul Simon or someone like that. Though, frankly, I'd rather hear the Fraggles sing.

Considering who wrote the first screen treatment, It would be great for some Frank Zappa music to play in the background...

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
^ Could be worse. They could put in "Who Let The Dogs Out?" for any scene with Sprocket *shudder*

Redsonga

Reaction score
If the fraggles did't sing themselves (more than a couple songs ) it would be very sad, since their world is not ruled over by the 'rules' of current movies anyway :smile:...