Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I mean, aside from reruns, Dora hasn't really been seen since about 2012. Until now, that is

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I wasn't even aware; seems like Dora was always to Nick Jr. what SpongeBob is to just plain Nick.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I wasn't even aware; seems like Dora was always to Nick Jr. what SpongeBob is to just plain Nick.
You can thank that Dora & Friends show, which aged Dora up, put her in the real world, and removed just about every beloved magical character. And yet she still talks to them like they're morons. So it's no surprise it flopped quickly.

Besides, Nick Jr. is making bank with Paw Patrol now. That's also getting a feature film, too, which I'm sure will do juuuuuuust fine on opening day.
🙄

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
You can thank that Dora & Friends show, which aged Dora up, put her in the real world, and removed just about every beloved magical character. And yet she still talks to them like they're morons. So it's no surprise it flopped quickly.

Besides, Nick Jr. is making bank with Paw Patrol now. That's also getting a feature film, too, which I'm sure will do juuuuuuust fine on opening day.
🙄
Don’t most pre-school branded movies bomb? Like a stick of dynamite Crazy Harry lit.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
Well guys, remember the curse with films that adapt preschool shows mentioned in this thread? It looks like Dora And The Lost City Of Gold made $17 million this weekend, beating the total domestic grosses of all the preschool show adaptations that have come out so far, meaning its' the highest grossing preschool show adaptation of all time (not counting Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie, based on a franchise for both preschoolers and elementary schoolers, making $25.5 million dollars total). Before Dora, Thomas and the Magic Railroad, which made almost $16 million domestically, was the highest-grossing film based on a preschool show.

🙄
Dora had problems even before the spin-off began. The decline started when Disney Junior's Doc McStuffins and Sofia the First came out, causing Nick Jr's ratings to drop, to the point where they not only beat Nick Jr's programming, but also the coveted 5:00PM slot for SpongeBob SquarePants (which is now The Loud House). And then PAW Patrol happened, with two major events causing its' popularity to increase over time: the toy line's debut in 2014 and Everest being added soon after. Around the same time PAW Patrol became a hit, there was also some competition in the form of Teen Titans Go! (despite being aimed at elementary schoolers, it's also got a huge following among toddlers. Some celebs who voiced characters on the show have kids under five who watched it, like LeBron James' daughter Zhuri, and then there's this article), as some of the the highest-rated airings of that show aired against Dora and Dora and Friends, especially during the era where Cartoon Network's schedule was basically nothing but that show.