Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Bad timing. Like I said. Disney would have been wise to let this wait, but I don't know where it would have fit on the schedule. Plus, they wanted that "same date Toy Story was released" tie in. Thanksgiving Weekend really isn't a great release date for movies, as the films need to make all their money that weekend. The following weeks, unless it's still there on Christmas break, aren't going to net much. But TGD is doing well for the soft weeks after Thanksgiving. It's still in 3rd place. I'm sure the gross will at least match the budget by the time it's out of theaters, plus it hasn't hit international release yet. Hopefully it won't go up too poorly against Star Wars when it is.

But the BIG loser here is the Moby Dick movie. These "true retellings" of classic stories have only worked out so far with Disney's Maleficent. Plus, when was the last time a non-Pirates of the Caribbean, Spongebob, or Nemo the Clownfish nautical movie made money?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So. Those sisters? In SISTERS? So, are they . . . um . . . y'know . . . uh . . . incestuous? That's the vibe I'm getting from these trailers.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
So. Those sisters? In SISTERS? So, are they . . . um . . . y'know . . . uh . . . incestuous? That's the vibe I'm getting from these trailers.
I don't think any big name distributor would want to put there names on an incest film.

EDIT: Oh my gosh I changed my mind,just saw the poster

Drtooth

Reaction score
While we're on the subject, anyone else think that Point Break is the result of someone trying to Out-Michael Bay Michael Bay? Somehow, it makes his Transformers movies deep think pieces.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
So guys, today is the day, it will go down in cinematic history. After all these years and all this waitings, its finally here. It was big in the 80's and it will be big now. Millions of Americans will be lining up for it, and I can assure you they'll be getting their money's worth.

Alvin and the Chimpmunks 4: The Road Chip

Oh and some robot space movie too, probably will bomb.

Drtooth

Reaction score
About Star Wars... do the advanced ticket sales count for the box office take, or are they separate from the at the door tickets? It already made about 100 Million in advance sales, plus over 55 mil on Thursday alone, and also 73 million internationally.

Thing probably made back its budget already.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm assuming that moviegoers have pretty much become desensitized to what good comedy movies are, because already SISTERS is getting rave reviews right and left, when it's clearly just another example of how far comedy has fallen in terms of low-brow, ribald, raunchy humor. Either that, or people just love it for how provocatively dressed Tina and Amy are (not to mention bathing with each other, slapping eachother's butts, and cat-fighting with each other).

But that right there brings up a problem too: there's this unfortunate stigma that's been around for years that women performers are "not funny" compared to men, and as a result, a lot of these women basically trash themselves out in order to appeal to male audiences. . . . I mean, Elmo, look at Amy Schumer - this hoe literally came up out of nowhere and literally became a superstar overnight, and all she does is just brag about her reckless sex life.

Tina and Amy have never really put out much in terms of substance or anything you could invest in, but this seems like a new low, even for them.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Star Wars: The Force Awakens completely broke the record making $120 million in its first day, that's way more than Harry Potter 8, the previous record holder which had $91 million. It's aiming to make around $230 million for its opening weekend which will put it at the highest grossing opening weekend of all time, beating Jurassic World at $208 million. Sisters came in second with like $4.9 million which is apparently good for a cheap comedy. Alvin made about $4.1 million, and came in third, very weak for a Chimpmunk film, but that's what you get when you try to do buisness during Star Wars week.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm assuming that moviegoers have pretty much become desensitized to what good comedy movies are, because already SISTERS is getting rave reviews right and left, when it's clearly just another example of how far comedy has fallen in terms of low-brow, ribald, raunchy humor. Either that, or people just love it for how provocatively dressed Tina and Amy are (not to mention bathing with each other, slapping eachother's butts, and cat-fighting with each other).
R rated movies are rated R for a reason. My philosophy is sure, you don't need to be dirty to be funny, but that doesn't mean you can't. All this boils down to is matter of taste. There was no way I was going to see this film, but only because it doesn't appeal to me. It does to others. And frankly, I think women deserve more comedy movies like this and less of the insanely misogynistic 1990's style romantic comedy where a successful, ambitious woman is worth less than crap because she doesn't settle down and have a family to make her "complete." And the worst part is, Hallmark keeps pooping those out as "Christmas" movies. Those, I find more offensive than anything a female comedian can do. It's not that I'm that much of a feminist (everyone deserves to be treated well and with respect), but saying a person isn't a person unless they fit into a certain peg in society is outdated. This is something I was going to mention in another thread, but for a country that prides itself on speaking of how evil Tall Poppy Syndrome is, we sure the heck take the tallest nail and hammer it the frag down.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens completely broke the record making $120 million in its first day, that's way more than Harry Potter 8, the previous record holder which had $91 million. It's aiming to make around $230 million for its opening weekend which will put it at the highest grossing opening weekend of all time, beating Jurassic World at $208 million. Sisters came in second with like $4.9 million which is apparently good for a cheap comedy. Alvin made about $4.1 million, and came in third, very weak for a Chimpmunk film, but that's what you get when you try to do buisness during Star Wars week.
Exactly. It's Star Wars. It's huge. Everyone knows about it and everything has pounded references to it into the ground. There was no way that anything was going to compete with it on opening weekend. However, I see Sisters and Chipmunks as alternatives for women who don't like sci-fi movies and 4 year olds that wouldn't be able to sit through anything more than 90 minutes long without screaming and crying and disrupting the theater goers. I've always said I actually hate going to kid's movies because of loud, ill mannered, way too young to watch a film beyond the comforts of their own home. I love Pixar and Dreamworks, but can't stand when little kids talk through the whole thing. But kid's movies is their place. I'd hate to go to Star Wars and have some bratty little kid screaming in my ear the whole time. At least with CGI animated films I begrudgingly accept it.

That said, I'm sure SW pretty much made back most of its budget before it was even released. That's powerful. And on a Christmas season too. Something that isn't exactly super strong, but not exactly weak. That's the power of a major brand.