Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Here's the preview for "Fairy Tale Fun!"

As you can see, they apparently chose to throw in the Sleeping Beauty News Flash (where the prince falls asleep)...again. Now, don't get me wrong; I love that skit very much, but come on Sesame Workshop, are you serious? Give the other Sleeping Beauty News Flash a turn to be included on a DVD release of some kind!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Good to know this will have at least one other News segment besides the bonus clip, even if it has been released (twice) already. I think the other Sleeping Beauty segment would be a more appropriate choice considering this video has the episode where Abby thinks Oscar is a prince (it'd tie in the Frog Prince plots). And now I have a feeling this'll also include the Jack B Nimble News Flash, which was on Old School Volume 2 (this video includes a Jack B Nimble plot), but we'll know next week.

I'm sort of now hoping that both Sleeping Beauty segments will be included, though I don't know what the chances of that will be (though all three bonus features on this release will be related to Cinderella).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I got the DVD today. It has a number of Sesame Street News segments, which I'm not surprised by. There's three in the main program and the "Cinderella's Fairy Godmother" bonus segment. Two of the segments are repeats from previous DVD releases while the other two are not only new-to-DVD but are also not currently available on sesamestreet.org, Sesame Workshop's YouTube channel, or Hulu.

While the Sleeping Beauty is the one with the prince falling asleep that's been on two other releases, this release actually includes the original title card instead of the late-1980s News Flash card. This is the third release of that segment, which has had three video releases in five years. Hopefully the next time it's released, it's in a video release of an episode that included that segment (or, and this is probably less likely, a video collection attempting to include every Sesame Street News segment on DVD, if not a collection that attempts to get every Kermit segment on DVD).

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I'm convinced that they put the wrong Sleeping Beauty segment in. Pretty much every insert included has something to do with the previous or following street scene, and the other Sleeping Beauty would make more sense to follow the episode with Abby thinking Oscar is a prince (and that Sleeping Beauty segment is shown after this episode). In fact a different News Flash segment with the same punchline is shown before the Prince Grouchy story.

I figured this would have quite a few News Flash segments. I'm a little surprised that they didn't work Kermit into the packaging like they did with Silly Storytime, since both have quite a bit of Kermit and Henry Louis Mitchell said that he felt it was important to put Kermit on the Silly Storytime cover. Maybe they didn't want to go through that trouble again, or maybe they did ask Disney but got a no this time. Though I think when he talked about aquiring permission on The MuppetCast he said that before Disney was convinced they said that Sesame Workshop could use any existing photos they had but they didn't have any of the right quality (I feel an existing Kermit photo could have been on the storybook covers that appear in either video cover). But the packaging doesn't even acknowledge the heavy amount of News segments (aside from listing "Kermit News" among the bonus features).

And isn't it interesting how they seem to do fairy tale-themed releases around the time that a new Muppet movie is to be released? Silly Storytime was released the same year as The Muppets, and now Fairytale Fun is released a few months before Muppets Most Wanted.

There's also another 1970s segment included which I don't ever remember seeing (though I'm sure I've seen a picture from it at Muppet Wiki).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The next DVD release will be called "Be a Good Sport", to be released in January. I think this will be a release of two full episodes, as the Muppet Wiki only mentions two street stories (as well as a bonus street story).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't know if Be a Good Sport will be two hour-long episodes or various street scenes and inserts (how did we know Elmo's Magic Cookbook and Arts and Craft Playdate would be two full-hour episodes when those were announced?), but I was looking at the Wiki pages for those episodes, and if they are full episodes (and not just the street scenes), then "The Coffee Plant" would be released on DVD.

It hasn't been said whether there'll be a bonus video (the last three DVDs had bonus videos), but this would be a good release to include Slimey's Worm Games. I don't think that one's been released on DVD (and it'd be another street story on the release). Of course there's also Count on Sports (and I think Elmocize would qualify for a sports-themed release).

Interestingly, the end credits for Fairytale Fun don't include a copyright credit for Kermit. There is a copyright credit for The Muppets Studio, without saying what that copyright is for (it doesn't mention Kermit or "Muppet" being a trademark of the studio). In fact I think that also applies to the credits to Being Brave. But there is a copyright credit for Kermit shown in CinderElmo, which must be from the Genius release (since it copyrights Kermit to The Muppets Holding Company and lists the copyright date as 2008).

Not sure if this is for this thread, but after watching CinderElmo on this release, the video must have been altered. The end credits shows various clips from the special. I saw it when it was originally broadcast (I also recorded the broadcast though I don't know where my copy is), and I could have sworn that the original broadcast had the end credits over a plain black background with different music playing (and yes, I'm sure that the original broadcast didn't have split screen credits). Not to mention the fact that the credits on this release refer to Sony Wonder (that company wouldn't have handled any television specials, would it?) and has a 2000 copyright date (the special was first broadcast in 1999).

muppet baby

Reaction score
I can not wait to see SS faire Tale fun that is going to be awesome i love when SS does stuff like that totally cool love the clip from youtube , great addition to my Muppet DVD Collection

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just found that the next Sesame Street video after Be a Good Sport! is... sigh, another Elmo's World DVD, "All About Animals".

But according to Muppet Wiki, the DVD will include a bonus classic story about Elmo going to the zoo. It makes me wonder, is the season 19 premiere the only known episode that involves Elmo going to the zoo? At first I thought it said it was a street story, but after checking back it just says it's "a classic story". It could be a video storybook (and I think there have been storybooks with Elmo going to the zoo).

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I just found that the next Sesame Street video after Be a Good Sport! is... sigh, another Elmo's World DVD, "All About Animals".
I just checked the page for the DVD on Muppet Wiki, and I must say that I'm very perturbed about Sesame Workshop/Warner Bros. coming up with a release like this. Not just because it's an Elmo's World DVD, but also due to the fact that every episode on there has ALREADY BEEN included on other DVDs in the past!

Drtooth

Reaction score
If you ask me, they need to release a box set of all the Elmo's World segments and end it right there.

Seriously, they still haven't finished the Ernie and Bert claymations.