Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

Drtooth

Reaction score
Interestingly, the cover image looks different from the other Sesame Street releases from Warner Bros. (it looks more like a Sony Wonder cover). I wonder if Warner is changing its style for Sesame covers.
If you checked the link above, you'd see it's exactly like the other budget "shut the kids up for 80 minutes" titles they're releasing.

And it will almost certainly be some pre-existing DVD with a new package. Question is, what?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I found a copy today, and it's a release of Elmopalooza and Elmo's World: Singing, Drawing, and More!

That doesn't sound too bad. At least at Wal-Mart, it costs around $4.99, a deal considering those others wold cost at least ten dollars separately (assuming they are still in print on their own).

When I heard about these being "cheap alternatives" to bigger releases, I questioned that about the Elmo one, since most Sesame Street releases are single-disc and fairly cheap (at least when they are new). Wasn't sure if I should have expected videos without the bonus features they came with (I don't think the regular DVDs have bonus features). I knew that the Looney Tunes ones are entire discs from the Golden Collections (without bonus features, I think), but I figured this wouldn't be a disc from Old School (since it is an Elmo release).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
On May 6, there'll be a release called "Alphabet Songs", with songs for every letter of the alphabet, as well as "Learning Letters with Elmo" as a bonus feature (I would have included an older alphabet video).

Muppet Wiki lists a few of the songs, including U Really Got a Hold of Me (the only classic song so far, hopefully there'll be more), The Sesame Street Alphabet, and the Glee spoof "G".

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Looking at the list of what's known to be on Alphabet Songs, there's going to be two songs about the letter Y, which means that not all letters will be represented with just one song. At first I wondered how many songs might be included, if there are songs for every letter and the cover said it's over 2 hours, but then I remembered that the "2 hours" stated on the covers of other DVDs includes the bonus videos.

If it's just alphabet songs, then I guess that means it won't have any Typewriter segments, unless they are a bonus feature (it'd be cool if this had all 26 of them, like how Elmo's Magic Numbers had all of the Pinball segments).

It's been hard for me to think of a wishlist for this release, if it's all songs. If the DVD had segments for every letter and they didn't have to be songs it'd be easier (and I've made such a list in another thread). But if it's just songs, there's only a few alphabet songs I'd want included that aren't on other DVDs. Some of the songs I hope get included: the season 30 version of C is for Cookie (I think I will cry a little if it's another release of the Marylin Horne version), The Sound of the Letter A, This is My J, Zig Zag Dance, Thinking of U, and X Marks the Spot. Hmm, I wonder if Don Music's performance of the Alphabet Song could be included.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
On June 10 there'll be a DVD entitled "Monster Manners", which will include Rosita trying not to be pushy, Cookie Monster's initiation into a cookie club, and Prairie Dawn teaching Cookie Monster good table manners. The one with Prairie Dawn isn't linked on the Muppet Wiki article, so I don't know whether it's an insert, a street story, or original linking footage (the product description mentions that in the middle of the mentioned contents... If it were the linking footage wouldn't it be mentioned first?).

Wow, I can't think of any segments to wish for this to include. The only classic segment I can think of involving monsters and manners is the season two segment where Ernie teaches Cookie Monster table manners, though Grover is typically polite.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I feel the need to say, FOR THE LOVE OF PETE! Stop being so cheap and just making compilations of episodes!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Actually, that would be something. A compilation DVD of just classic street stories that are somehow connected.

Maybe they could have them themed around classic characters who were primarily in street stories, like Big Bird (it'd be great to see footage from the season 7 episode where Big Bird runs for president, or footage from the "Number 4 Show" besides "I Just Adore Four"), Oscar, and Mr. Snuffleupagus.

Maybe there could be a video about how Snuffy was believed to be imaginary. Select episodes where they think he's Big Bird's imaginary friend, ending with the season 16 premiere where some of them decide to believe Big Bird and then the season 17 premiere.

Or maybe a compilation of all the snow episodes from season 5 (I've got to believe that there are more "snow day" episodes than just the ones on iTunes and Netflix). Maybe even some snow episodes from later seasons.

In recent years, there have been single-disc releases with pre-season 33 street stories (mainly from seasons 30-32), so I guess it wouldn't hurt to release more of those.