Wanted: Unedited Muppet Family Christmas

3rdWiseMan

Reaction score
I don't really know where to begin, so I'll just begin.

I have the original uncut version that aired on TV of the Muppet Family Christmas. It was one of many christmas shows on a six hour tape. However, the version I had was somewhat tainted because at the time I recorded it I was eight years old. I tried editing the commercials out, but the VCR we had at the time would wind the tape back a few seconds whenever you stopped it, and then take another few seconds to start again once you hit record. Being eight years old, I didn't know that you could offset this by just hitting the pause button, or just not editing out the commercials. The tape also skips when Electric Mayhem is singing Jingle Bell Rock, which I don't like.

That is the format I've had for over twenty years, and it is still in exellent shape. I did want to get another version of the uncut version of what aired on television, and over thanksgiving, I found one. My cousin had it. It is the 1987 broadcast that aired on TV, and he even has it with the original commercials. I have converted it, along with the version I had to DVD.

Here is the problem, my cousin's version is more complete, and the video is excellent, but the audio is not in stereo because his VCR at the time did not have that capability. It is now my plan to do something both ambitious and tedious (and perhaps a little nuts). I am basically going to combine the two versions. I'm going to primarily use my copy that has the good audio and video, and when necessary stop my DVD recorder to splice in the parts of his video that I missed before and after each commercial break. That's basically as good as I'm going to be able to make it. It's not perfect, but it is complete, and 98% of the audio is of stereo quality.

I really don't know what to do with this once I'm done with it. In the years I searched off an on for a better version, I came across people that were literally selling it for hundreds of dollars. I don't have a huge problem with that, but at the same time it's not as if these are baseball cards or works of art or stamps or something like that. It is family entertainment, and I think charging a hundred dollars is kind of missing the point. In some ways I want to start selling for ten bucks a pop just to irritate the people who are basically exploiting it. At the same time, though, I don't want to break any laws by selling it illegally, even if it is at a lower price. In other words, I guess, I want to make it available because I feel anyone who wants to enjoy this should be able to, but I don't want to just give it away for nothing when I myself need to expend a certain amount of energy to make copies of it.

For what it's worth, one of my hobbies is collecting old christmas shows and specials and preserving them on DVD. Every year since I was eight, I taped christmas specials off TV, and the collection has grown over time. I've now converted them all to DVD and have a grand total (I'm not making this up) of 26 twelve hour DVDs of Christmas specials and movies, including several muppet specials such as the uncut version of Muppet Family Christmas, Both Muppet Christmas movies, John Denver and the Muppets Christmas (without the closing credits, though) the Letters to Santa special from last year, The Christmas Toy, Christmas Eve on Sesame Street (aired sometime in the 1980s on PBS), Emmit Otter's Christmas that Kermit narrates, Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree that Kermit also narrates and that starred Robert Downy Jr.

Some people play golf or collect stamps, I preserve things on DVD. I don't even buy them from the store. I have a DVD recorder and get all my movies when they air on TV.

I guess my big question is that if I start making this stuff available online will I be breaking any copywright violations? If not, then what is the best way to go about it?

thanks,
3wm

3rdWiseMan

Reaction score
Being new to the site, the regular posters are also new to me. I just read the thread by KermiClown, looked at his site, and must say that I'm more than impressed.

Nevermind my post. If you want anything Muppets Christmas related, or muppet anything related, contact him.

gabelogan99

Reaction score
If anyone wants this, I have a Region 1 US Uncut DVD. Send me a message if you're interested. I charge a service fee but nothing for shipping. I only ship within the United States. What I charge is less than what you would pay for it if you bought a chopped up Region 1 from Amazon.

Cosby84

Reaction score
I recently re-discovered my VHS tape of the Muppet Family Christmas (watch out for the icy patch!). This is the version from the 1989 broadcast on NBC. I have no capability of transfering this to digital myself and wondered if anyone else was looking for a few seconds from this broadcast that aren't on Youtube: There's the Michael Eisner intro with Kermit, with Kermit wearing a Goofy hat many-sized to large. There's also at least two promos featuring the Dinosaus, wishing everyone a happy holiday, etc.

I haven't seen these moments up pon Youtube, but then again, maybe no one wants them to begin with. I'm not throwing away this tape, but if anyone has any suggestions for me besides putting back in the box, I'd love to hear them.
Thanks

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Muppet Family Christmas (Uncut)

Chances are this question has been asked ENDLESS times, but does anyone know where I can find a DVD-quality, unedited version of A Muppets Family Christmas? I have the old VHS and have been reluctant to buy an edited DVD, but really fancy watching this with the kids this Christmas. Any ideas?:confused:

Thanks in advance!

Stuart

Andibcool

Reaction score
Well i have a Divx file of the Muppet Family Christmas with german dub.
Its called "Die Muppets feiern Weihnachten" here.
Since im unable to buy this on DVD with german dub im kinda happy with this find.
From what i can tell it seems unedited and taken of a Tape but quality is pretty good.
I think you can still order a copy of the tape from amazon.de but only from merchants that charge around 60 Euro plus shipping.
The tape was released here in 2000.

If you have the tape you can also record it pretty easy with a PC and a cheap TV card.
DVD Recorders might work too, but some have problems with Macrovision copy protection so u wont get a good result out if you tape is protected.
I did record a lot tapes with my PC and a MPG card in the past to save the quality and watch it without further quality loss over and over again.
Its not as good as a DVD but not worse then a good tape.