Video of Elmo with Richard Hunt's voice

PiLfan

Reaction score
I looked but didn't see this posted anywhere. In 1984-85, Richard Hunt took over the Elmo character from Brian Muehl. I had always wondered what the Richard Hunt Elmo sounded like, and if he appeared in any street scenes or was actually referred to as "Elmo".

All that is answered in this video clip:

It shows a few street scenes with Elmo interacting with Bob, kids and David. He sounds a lot like the two-headed monster.

This clip apparently comes from a documentary called "Being Elmo", and is narrated by Whoopi Goldberg. I had never seen or heard of the documentary before and don't know anything else about it. Thought you all might find this interesting.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Oh My! That video cracked me up! :laugh:

Thanks for sharing, Pilfan!

tutter_fan

Reaction score
I thought it was funny how Elmo had talked like a caveman, and he really did sound like the 2 headed monster! HILARIOUS!

Benji2

Reaction score
When I first saw the thread title I had visions of Elmo speaking with a pompous Don-Music like voice (chuckle). But Elmo sounding like the two-headed monster was just as good! Thanks for sharing...

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Man, Elmo sounded WAY different back then, LOL! :laugh:
It is a bit baffling, especially considering the fact that Elmo was being established just before Kevin took over the character. Usually when a performer takes over a character it starts off as just an impression of the previous performer but gradually it becomes something different. Kind of like how Marty's Snuffy and Telly were, but they gradually developed more of an emotional range. Kevin, on the other hand, seemed to have taken the character in a vastly different direction right off the bat. But I guess he had an advantage since Elmo was such a new character (prior to Richard he was mostly a background character)

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
From listening to Richard Hunt doing Elmo, I honestly thought he made him sound like a caveman. Makes you wonder what the show would have been like had Hunt continued to play Elmo until he died.

Fozzieboba

Reaction score
From listening to Richard Hunt doing Elmo, I honestly thought he made him sound like a caveman. Makes you wonder what the show would have been like had Hunt continued to play Elmo until he died.
Hopefully someone out there has a tape of these two clips Richard performed him in, that way we can know which episode it's from.