Unearthing previously "lost" Sesame Street episodes

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I was going to mention that as well, but at this point, I feel like people should really just have their common sense with having to make sure everything is properly licensed for commercial media.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Every live-action film. Every cartoon. Every song. Every celebrity. All those involved need to be cleared and compensated for their contributions. And there's thousands of those to work out. Like the last Old School DVD set - they couldn't have any of those Swedish number cartoons cause they're originally from an entirely different show. Or how about the HBO deal that didn't even allow them to use any Joe Raposo music aside from the theme song (even gosh-dang music stings)?
That's the one concern I have about the episodes we'll be seeing on HBO Max. How much will be edited out from them? Only 2 more months until we find out I guess...

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Yeah, I think about that too. Like then they put up every episode of SNL on Hulu or Netflix and they'd be like 20 minutes long because of all the things they had to cut due to rights.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I don't see that happening. Not because "aw Sesame is greedy!" But it really is a logistical nightmare concerning all the inserts and such.

Every live-action film. Every cartoon. Every song. Every celebrity. All those involved need to be cleared and compensated for their contributions. And there's thousands of those to work out. Like the last Old School DVD set - they couldn't have any of those Swedish number cartoons cause they're originally from an entirely different show. Or how about the HBO deal that didn't even allow them to use any Joe Raposo music aside from the theme song (even gosh-dang music stings)?
Shall I mention how the 3rd Old School didn’t even have their own theme song!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, I think about that too. Like then they put up every episode of SNL on Hulu or Netflix and they'd be like 20 minutes long because of all the things they had to cut due to rights.
Even reruns of SNL on cable TV, they always leave out the entire final half-hour of skits, which is a third of the entire show.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
This is why I always take commercial releases of SS episodes with a grain of salt at this point. But I do understand not every skit can be worked out, as frustrating as it is.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Even reruns of SNL on cable TV, they always leave out the entire final half-hour of skits, which is a third of the entire show.
Generally speaking, I prefer watching just individual skits of the show - was never a big fan of sitting through an entire episode.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Shall I mention how the 3rd Old School didn’t even have their own theme song!
Yeah, that's so odd. I would rather have not gotten the Star Wars bit if the money instead went for the theme royalties or whatever.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The theme being omitted from that release still makes me wonder why to this day.

But, I guess we’ll never know. :smirk:

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Yeah, that's so odd. I would rather have not gotten the Star Wars bit if the money instead went for the theme royalties or whatever.
To this day that’s so mind boggling, how they didn’t clear the rights to their theme song, but they were able to secure most of the celebrity bits except the Cab Calloway one with Count. (Sidenote: I wasn’t sad to see that go because, we got Honk Around The Clock which is a favorite of mine.)