Unearthing previously "lost" Sesame Street episodes

cjd874

Reaction score
Isn't that first E&B skit from one of the pilots? ****, they did not waste footage.
That skit also appeared in the season 6 premiere #666. Yep, they certainly didn't waste footage. I remember seeing "The King of Eight" in a season 35 episode, for real!

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
That skit also appeared in the season 6 premiere #666. Yep, they certainly didn't waste footage. I remember seeing "The King of Eight" in a season 35 episode, for real!
"The King of Eight" was one of only five "classic" segments shown in Season 35. The other four included:

- "The Magnificent Splasho"
- "Letter I (Beep Beep)"
- "The Letter P on an island to a rotating sunset" (but with the Joe Raposo music and original voiceover replaced by modern music and a new younger voiceover)
- and one other segment that I don't recall.

Season 36 had fewer classic segments from the 1970s. The only ones I know of are:

- "The Alligator King"
- "Consonant Sound - N for Nose" (with sound effects added)
- "Julius and Jasper vs. the apple" (the last animated segment from the 1970s ever shown on the series)

Season 37 had only one segment from the 1970s, and that was a Bert and Ernie sketch about Bernice playing checkers with Bert. The oldest animated segment aired that season was the "D/d (drums and drumsticks)" segment, which was known to have first appeared by April 1987.

Season 38 was when the show flipped the switch to HD format and segments from 1970s and much of the 1980s ceased to exist on the show by then, but did get released to Sesame Street's official website in the Classic Clips section. While the Classic Clips section is gone, some, not all, classic clips did get released to the show's official YouTube channel. I really hope more classic clips get uploaded soon, it is long overdue. At least the classic clips on YouTube proves that Sesame Workshop did not waste tape for sure.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don’t really know what’s meant by “wasting” tape. The segments were always meant to be aired in multiple episodes, segments stop airing for various reasons, and Sesame Workshop has maintained all but 60 episodes all these years. Until around the time of the format change of season 33, there weren’t really limits on airing segments just because the Muppets or picture quality look different.

"The King of Eight" was one of only five "classic" segments shown in Season 35. The other four included:

- "Letter I (Beep Beep)"
- "The Letter P on an island to a rotating sunset" (but with the Joe Raposo music and original voiceover replaced by modern music and a new younger voiceover)
The other one might have been a Pinball segment. I recall one of the Pinball segments airing around this time (though it could have been a season earlier or so).

In this case I guess you’re referring to ‘70s segments as “classic”, as segments from the 1980s were still shown fairly often. Not as often as ‘90s, but not as rare as ‘70s, and most of them either animation or Ernie (plus a few additional Muppet bits). Imagine That and Do De Rubber Duck were getting annual airings at the

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score

- "Letter I (Beep Beep)"

Season 36 had fewer classic segments from the 1970s. The only ones I know of are:

- "The Alligator King"
- "Consonant Sound - N for Nose" (with sound effects added)
- "Julius and Jasper vs. the apple" (the last animated segment from the 1970s ever shown on the series)

Season 37 had only one segment from the 1970s, and that was a Bert and Ernie sketch about Bernice playing checkers with Bert. The oldest animated segment aired that season was the "D/d (drums and drumsticks)" segment, which was known to have first appeared by April 1987.

Season 38 was when the show flipped the switch to HD format and segments from 1970s and much of the 1980s ceased to exist on the show by then, but did get released to Sesame Street's official website in the Classic Clips section. While the Classic Clips section is gone, some, not all, classic clips did get released to the show's official YouTube channel. I really hope more classic clips get uploaded soon, it is long overdue. At least the classic clips on YouTube proves that Sesame Workshop did not waste tape for sure.
You're one season behind all of those, my good man.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
An episode involving Don Music, plus the only time I know of where we see The Alphabeats without Little Chrissy.

https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Episode_1971

Also, the Alphabeats are dressed differently than usual (no red shirts), and there's an additional member who looks like one of the characters from the Street Garden Cooperation song.

We also see a monster named Max the Magnificent. Seems like the show was fond of monsters named Max in the 1980s - a season 12 episode had a Max, and it was recently revealed that the monster who sang Comb Your Face was named Max Monster in a season 15 appearance.

ssetta

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone noticed this, but they have recently updated some of the guides for episodes that have already been in the trade circulation for awhile. That is, they got clean copies of the episodes. Some of these episodes are 1836, 2226, 2486, 2876, 3006, 3010, 3136 and 3140. So I'm not entirely sure, but I wonder if just maybe these will be some of the episodes that will be released on HBO Max, and that's why they're showing up. But don't quote me on it, it's just a thought.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone noticed this, but they have recently updated some of the guides for episodes that have already been in the trade circulation for awhile. That is, they got clean copies of the episodes. Some of these episodes are 1836, 2226, 2486, 2876, 3006, 3010, 3136 and 3140. So I'm not entirely sure, but I wonder if just maybe these will be some of the episodes that will be released on HBO Max, and that's why they're showing up. But don't quote me on it, it's just a thought.
You mean better-quality screenshots or made guides complete (of course 1836 has been on DVD for eight years)?

I don't think the wiki making updated guides for episodes already there would have anything to do with whatever will be on HBO Max. After all, they've been adding screenshots for a ton of rare episodes this past year, I don't think all of those will air on HBO Max.