Unearthing previously "lost" Sesame Street episodes

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
I don’t really want to turn this thread into a discussion on early Telly, but lately I’ve been wondering if there should be a “proto-Telly” page. Mainly tracing his appearances and evolution between his debut and when Brian Meehl made him the Telly that we all know. It’d be great to know all the uses of Telly as a generic monster (I guess the Suzanne Farrell sketch counts).

It would make more sense for the Two-Headed Monster: MOM sketch to have debuted in season 10 or 11, since the Telly puppet was used there. But it first aired in season 12 (do scripts that cite seasons list it as coming from season 12 or earlier?).

But it also makes me wonder who all the wiki could use a “proto-character” page for.
The biggest thing I'm curious of is if deranged TV Telly appeared in more than one episode.

I don't think we need proto-pages; that information could just be found in a section of their article (since it already is). If a character is different enough I think it would get a separate page, but in Telly's case everything could just belong in one article.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The biggest thing I'm curious of is if deranged TV Telly appeared in more than one episode.
According to the now-complete season 10 guides, that incarnation of Telly was only in one episode.

However, a CTW Archives program guide for, I think, episode 1277 mentions a segment with Telly that wasn’t in the final cut (or at least not the final aired script). if it’s a season 10 appearance (or at least an appearance by Telly, with his name in the program guide, that came before the remodeling the fix-it shop storyarc where Telly became the Telly we all know), then it’s a safe bet that it would have been the television monster version.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
According to the now-complete season 10 guides, that incarnation of Telly was only in one episode.

However, a CTW Archives program guide for, I think, episode 1277 mentions a segment with Telly that wasn’t in the final cut (or at least not the final aired script). if it’s a season 10 appearance (or at least an appearance by Telly, with his name in the program guide, that came before the remodeling the fix-it shop storyarc where Telly became the Telly we all know), then it’s a safe bet that it would have been the television monster version.
I wonder if in Telly's first "normal" appearance they at all hinted how he changed from deranged to normal (for kids who watched the show daily)... kids who watched early SS were probably traumatized at how much characters changed voices and personas (over-exaggerating of course :laugh:).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if in Telly's first "normal" appearance they at all hinted how he changed from deranged to normal (for kids who watched the show daily)... kids who watched early SS were probably traumatized at how much characters changed voices and personas (over-exaggerating of course :laugh:).
Telly's first appearance was episode 1257, in season 10. Brian Meehl first made Telly into what we know today (and he had previously performed Telly in a bit with Suzanne Farrell that came before, where he was just a generic monster) in episode 1411, in season 11. There's no additional appearance of the television-obsessed Telly (unless there turns out to be one that just wasn't in the final aired script). So not counting instances of him being used as a generic monster, that's a 154-episode gap. I wonder how many kids remembered him from the earlier episode (and it is just a year, so maybe so, but that is plenty of time to forget about him as well).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Phil Hartman on Sesame Street

I was surprised to see that, though I’m also trying to remember if I was aware of that appearance or not (or at least if I was aware Hartman was in it). Kinda sounds familiar yet also sounds like something I didn’t know.