Unearthing previously "lost" Sesame Street episodes

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't recall seeing it noted here, but the wiki has both appearances of Blue Bird!

https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Episode_2582

This was a character that I was vaguely aware of (I have a feeling I saw them when they aired but none of the info I see rings a bell), it wasn't until the wiki started getting its trusted sources that I really started to care about seeing them. And they do look awesome.

Too bad they were too expensive to do regularly. I have wondered how they were expensive or if they could have made them cheaper. Then I saw some images, it looks like some scenes have animated/computer animated backgrounds, and looks like they (or at least the first one) were shot on location (but would that be more expensive than, say, all the on-location segments done in season 10?). It's too bad these were parts of street stories as opposed to inserts that were repeated (which could have justified the cost/allowed them to recoup their expenses by airing them more), it looks like they are rather stand-alone from the street plots (the first one is connected to the plot, but I think it could have aired again, maybe if they redid the wrap-arounds).

It's interesting to see that Blue Bird was voiced by a performer who wasn't his performer. I wonder why that was done. It's the only recurring character I know of that Rick Lyon had, and he didn't even provide the voice. I had wondered how it was determined he didn't do the voice, since I'm not familiar with any Rick Lyon voices, but that doesn't mean others aren't (and I think Shane has said that he can tell if a voice is a separate audio track from the performing). Of course if there was any doubt, I read that Lyon confirmed to one fan that somebody else did the voice but wasn't entirely sure - and while not entirely sure, actually thinks it was David L. Smyrl, two years before he became a cast member (and a year before Mr. Handford was introduced).

I wonder if Caroll Spinney should have performed Blue Bird. It would have given him another character, he's clearly based on Big Bird (with the torso of the "Bluebird of Happiness" Big Bird variant), since he's just in Big Bird's imagination it's not like the two characters would cross paths... in fact, it's a wonder they didn't just use the whole bluebird of happiness puppet, without alterations, and have him just be a blue big bird, since the other cast members appeared as alternate but similar characters.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Blue Bird looks more villainous than a hero; he has the appearance of an antihero. It would be cool to get a small clip to see what his voice sounds like since the voice actor is still uncredited.

I know a lot of people sought after these clips, so hopefully they realize screens were uploaded... very cool. 👍

I've been delighted to find Little Bird cropping up more in these early episodes. This is from Episode 0396.
I've noticed this as well. I recently watched a YouTube video about obscure SS characters and they acted like he hardly had any appearances aside from a few on the show and in books, but it seems to be quite the opposite as you uncover more material... underrated character.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Episode_1293

One scene in episode 1293 has Bert giving a word for each letter in the word "pigeon". I wonder if this is the song "Pigeon" (similar to how Ernie's later song "DUCKIE" has him giving a word for each letter in "duckie". That song's copyright is a year earlier and the eka is from season 9, though currently that episode isn't fully guided. Seems like the scripts often don't list titles for songs sung during street scenes.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean, it makes sense: many Season 1 inserts recycled already-established Muppets that were used in previous Henson projects, like Beautiful Day Monster.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Great thing we've come across: Taminella was on Sesame in season 1!
Was she still performed (or at least voiced) by Jerry Juhl in this appearance (I did check the wiki and didn't see anything about an alternate performer here)?