Unearthing previously "lost" Sesame Street episodes

scarecroe

Reaction score
I have a question @scarecroe, after going through most of the episodes what characters are you surprised didn’t really make a huge impact?
Not sure this is the answer you're looking for, but I liked the introduction of Professor D. Rabbit and Garbo in Episode 2303.

We saw the prof again a few more times, but it was Garbo's only appearance (I think). The puppet for the prof is beautiful and Garbo looked interesting and had a lot of potential, IMO.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Kevin Clash mentioned that Professor D. Rabbit's shtick was so unfunny that he doesn't remember it (and I think I've also read that he was more of a writers character than a performers character). I don't really know what his main character trait is. I've looked at the characters page on the wiki and read descriptions of some of his scenes, and yet I'm still at a loss on what he was supposed to be (well, I know he was a professor-type).

scarecroe

Reaction score
Professor D. Rabbit was supposed to be funny? I guess that's why he didn't stick around.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
They really wanted to do a juggling character for some reason.

Garbo looks like that dragon we were talking about yesterday (that character that looked like it could be from Eureka's Castle); a very nice-looking puppet, but not signature 'Henson' if you know what I mean.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have to say, I'm finding it really, really surprising there's so much archival material that's spanning into the 80s, and in some cases into the early 90s that's been considered "lost." I'm sure a lot of it has to do with VCRs becoming more common in households, but it still feels really strange that so much "lost" material is being uncovered from the 80s and early 90s; you would think that a vast majority of any material considered "lost" would be almost exclusive to the early 70s, considering even back then, CTW/SW didn't imagine SS would last beyond a few years, and they probably weren't as stringent or efficient with their archiving as they are now.

hooperfan

Reaction score
VCRs were still pretty expensive in the 80s from what I recall. And most people who owned one probably didn't have taping Sesame Street in mind. Though some treasures were recorded, like those season 13 episodes that have been in the trading circles even pre-Noggin

hooperfan

Reaction score
"You got the right string baby, but the wrong yo-yo."
I love the old scenes on the street, which seemed to have a lot of ad libbing. They knew what the topic was to be about, and how it was supposed to resolve, but it seems like it was up to the actors to help provide the dialogue.

But I could be wrong. If I am, then they did a good job making it seem unscripted