Unearthing previously "lost" Sesame Street episodes

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
30 down, 20 more to go!! (Pilot/Test shows and upcoming Season 51 episodes aside.)
Well the sad truth is 1-3, 5 and 11 won’t ever be fully guided since..... well, 1 has three episodes missing, 2 and 3 have a very good portion missing, and 5 and 11 both have one missing episode. Unless we just get somehow lucky...... VERY lucky

DancingQueen

Reaction score
I am truly stunned by how expansive the episode guide is now! I was away from the fandom for a long time, and was so pleasantly surprised when I came back to find such great records of the show's run, it brought back so many memories to go through the guides for the years I watched it the most.

What was especially a shock for me was the guide for the 1989-91 episodes. A little background-this was the era when I was a toddler, and I was TERRIFIED of Placido Flamingo, so I would refuse to watch Sesame Street at all unless my Mom watched the episode first to see if he was in it. Because it seemed like every time I tuned in on my own, he was on the show, and I would run out of the living room screaming. Surely this was an exaggerated memory, I thought, because he was such a minor character. But upon looking at the guides for this era, I was stunned to see how many of those episodes he was in! So I know it wasn't a false memory, and I feel vindicated in some small way lol. (For the record, I've long since gotten over my fear of him-as a matter of fact, I named my cat Placido in honor of him and the great Richard Hunt).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Placido Flamingo kind of bothered me as well - I wouldn't say I was terrified of him, but I mean just the character in general was not easy on either the eyes or the ears.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The only time I actually remember seeing him as a kid was his brief cameo from “Italian Street Song” in that monochrome-effect flashback to the song in “Hand Talk” (I don’t remember if I ever actually saw any songs he was in)..... but his appearance creeped me out a bit as a kid.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I clearly remember seeing up and down opera he did with Ernie . . . not a very pleasant-sounding song.

DancingQueen

Reaction score
The "Italian Street Song" was the one I remember the most from when I was little because at one point we had it on video. But it did seem that he was on in various other sketches every time I turned on the TV to watch the show live. I'd've totally been without Sesame Street in my formative years if we hadn't had a VCR, and if I hadn't had a mother patient enough to "screen" each episode for me ahead of time (sure wish we'd saved those tapes!).

I was afraid of lots of weird stuff as a kid, but around the time I was in kindergarten I started facing them and got past that phase, but that didn't happen with Placido Flamingo because I felt I was "too old" to watch Sesame Street and thus didn't bother to look him up. Then when I was eight, I went through what I call my "renaissance" phase, when I started getting into shows and movies I loved as a little kid again, and I started watching Sesame Street everyday, but by then he was mostly gone from the show. I didn't see him again until I bought the "Put Down the Duckie" VHS tape, and was surprised to find him and the "Italian Street Song" at the end of it. My first thought when I saw him on the screen at that age was "...gee, maybe I wasn't too far off thinking he was scary", but it didn't help that that particular segment was a bit scary in general. But as I discovered more and more segments he was in, I've gradually come to love him, though I agree he wasn't easy on the eyes.