TV characters that remind you of the Sesame Street Muppets

BEAR

Reaction score
I guess I just see it more as proud than self-centeredness. So I guess we can say the same about Grover, right? Grover is egotistical.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, you could say Grover is occasionally egotistical, especially as Super Grover. Lol

Again, it's not so much that the character of Elmo is self centered. It's that he's all over the place and everyone else is in the background. So he is kinda like the young emperor that everyone takes care of. Lol

BEAR

Reaction score
Okay...so it's not really that Elmo is self-centered. It's more the fact that he is in the forground a lot and people are upset by that. Kinda like how Big Bird used to be. I guess that makes him self-centered too, right? :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, I didn't think Big Bird was self centered for being upset by Elmo's attention. Hehe :wink:

BEAR

Reaction score
I hope you know I'm just teasing you with all this. I guess I just don't understand when people blame the character for being used so much and by saying that just because Elmo is overused that is grounds for him to be full of himself and demand attention away from the others. Besides, even with the moments he did act selfish, he learned his lesson. Like in Elmo in Grouchland. And when he is compared to a character like the one mentioned, it doesn't quite match up. The character from Emperors New Groove was definitely self-centered and mean on top of it. I don't believe Elmo to have a mean bone in his body.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh I know you're only teasing, no problem. Hehe

Yeah I don't think the character in himself is supposed to be mean or anything. He's kinda the victim in all this controversy. I liked Elmo in the '80s when he was a little kid trying hard to endear himself to the older characters. It's just not like that now since most of the older characters are gone. Now it's like the kids are running the home, so to speak. Heh

DTF

Reaction score
I hope you know I'm just teasing you with all this. I guess I just don't understand when people blame the character for being used so much and by saying that just because Elmo is overused that is grounds for him to be full of himself and demand attention away from the others.
I understand. I think the reason people can't separate it is becasue of the character pattern, in some ways. I mean, Elmo is supposed to be 3. Parenting is all about teaching kids that other people matter, and at that age, you're lucky if they're not mean and bossy on top of being self centered.

There are plenty of threes who are nice, kind, and loving, too, of course. Elmo is one, despite the lapses he has from time to time; he's as good as any three portrayed in media. (Which would be...well...not many. Michelle on Full House might be the best comparison, especially because there is a similar pattern with the Olsens, and yet at that age she was very well behaved, especially since the show portrayed it as the dad being so lax his oldest daughter had to be the one reacting and disciplining offscreen, but that's another post, another board, another site... :smile:. About the only other three-year-old I can think of is Jeffy, one of the boys in the "Fmily Circus" comic strip.)

But, Elmo is still someone who is totally focused on himself, like many threes. So, people see him, think of the way many three-year-olds they know act, and they make a connection that *soudns* logical in their minds, but it isn't. It's the connection that, "Elmo is spoiled, he gets his way all the time, etc., and that's why he gets so much air time." Which would make sense if this were a real family and everyone was catering to the toddler's needs, but it's a TV show, and Elmo's not constantly demanding, "I want my screen time" and throwing tantrums if he doesn't get it. He didn't go into the office as Sesame Workshop, demand 15 minutes each day, and throw a hissy fit and hold hit breath till he got it.

(I just thought of another three-year-old as I was about to his send - Angelica on Rugrats. Oh, boy, if there was ever a 3YO who was mean, bossy, etc., *that* is the one. She *would* demand screen time and threaten a tantrum if she didn't get it :smile:

Kiki

Reaction score
As SSLfan said earlier, Zoe has always reminded me of Baby Bob from Barney as well.
I know these arn't SS characters, but Miss Piggy has always reminded me of Kim from Kath & Kim. Piggy treats Kermit almost the same way as Kim treats her husband, Bret. Mind you, Kim isn't as glamerous as the pig, but she likes to think she is! :wink: Another Muppet is Scooter, he has always reminded me of Radar from M*A*S*H. I actually heard someone else say that here on MC, too. T'was Sara if I remember rightly...

wes

Reaction score
Edward Asner as lou Grant= Oscar the grouch

Hugh Laurie as House= Oscar/ Sherlock Hemlock

Any Chactorization of Satan= Elmo