TMS Fanfiction: "Broken Dreams"

Just J

Reaction score
I've enjoyed reading so many of the stories here that I registered, so that I could post my own. Please forgive the presumption of just jumping in.

Story synopsis: It had been ten long, lonely years. Ten years without a Muppet movie, a Muppet television show, or much of anything else. Would the Muppets get back together someday? Why had they gone their separate ways in the first place? And what ever happened to the mysterious Muppet movie that was left unfinished when they split up?

“Broken Dreams”

Part I: Ten Long Years

It had been ten long, lonely years. Ten years without a Muppet movie, a Muppet television show, or much of anything else. Sure, the gang still did some t.v. appearances. Kermit kept up with his Sesame Street obligations, Fozzie hosted a short-lived sketch comedy show on cable, Piggy did assorted print and television ads. Those old fools Statler and Waldorf even got their own internet show reviewing movies. But the Muppets had not appeared together, all of them, for ten years.

If the Muppets were the Beatles of under-three-foot celebrity, then the current state of Muppet affairs was 1977: John semi-retired, George hiding from the public eye, Paul experimenting with disco, Ringo … doing whatever it was that Ringo did.

But the fans had never given up hope. After all, the Muppets were still alive and well and funny and wonderful—why wouldn’t they get back together someday?

That was the exact question Ivan Ivanovich was determined to answer. Ivan, a feature article writer for Obsessive Voyeur magazine, had been assigned to do a “where are they now” piece on the Muppets and was due to interview the Great Gonzo in less than an hour. But Ivan planned to go beyond his assignment and do a little digging for the truth behind the unofficial breakup.

Would the Muppets get back together someday? Why had they gone their separate ways in the first place?

And what ever happened to the mysterious Muppet movie that was left unfinished when they split up?

Part II: Interview with the Weirdo

Gonzo found it hard to sit still for the interview. His small blue body wanted to be in motion, constantly. But now he had to content himself with simply tapping his foot. He and Ivan were sitting outside a large circus tent, eating funnel cake and chatting, and Gonzo was trying very hard to focus his boundless energy and concentrate on the conversation.

“So you’re with the circus now, Mr. Gonzo,” said Ivan. “Tell me a bit about how you like it here.”

Gonzo smiled, and his eyes grew wide the way they did whenever something excited him. “I love what I do, Mr. Ivanovich. Being with the Bunkum & Hailey Circus has been great for me as an artist. They’ve let me have free creative range with my performances.”

“That’s wonderful. What was your most recent stunt?”

“I was shot out of a cannon.”

Ivan frowned. “That’s … that’s it? You were simply shot out of a cannon?”

“I’m into minimalist art right now,” said Gonzo.

Ivan thought about that for a minute then shrugged. “Is there anyone from the old days that you still keep in touch with?”

“Oh sure, sure. Fozzie and I meet up for coffee whenever we can—I’m on the road a lot, so it’s not always easy—and I write to Rizzo fairly regularly. Have you heard of his chain of restaurants in New York? Rizzo’s Rest Stop … the best food a rat can cook.”

“Yes, I have. I’m from New York, actually, and I’ve seen quite a few of the restaurants.”

“Oh! So you’ve eaten there?”

“No.”

Gonzo nodded. “I don’t blame you.”

Then Ivan leaned forward, with a sparkle in his eye. “Mr. Gonzo, I’m here to write a story on what all the Muppets are currently up to these days. But honestly, I’m dying to know: what broke up the gang to begin with? And whatever happened to that movie everyone was talking about but never came out in theaters?”

Gonzo sighed softly and looked away. He looked up at the big expanse of blue sky over the circus tent. It had been a long time ago. Gonzo had thought he was over it, but he wasn’t. Of course he wasn’t. Writing letters, having coffee, doing special appearances—none of it was the same as what the Muppets once had.

“I don’t know,” Gonzo told Ivan. “I wish I did, but I don’t. Maybe it was just time for that chapter of our lives and careers to come to an end.”
Ivan and Gonzo both knew Gonzo was lying.

When Ivan talked to Fozzie, Fozzie said the same thing Gonzo had said. “I don’t know. Maybe it was time.”

So did Scooter. So did Rowlf and Sam and Chef and everyone. And Ivan knew none of them meant it. They knew. They just didn’t want to tell Ivan.

So even though Ivan did his own independent research, he never found out. Nobody who had worked on the mysterious lost movie—from the director to the stage crew to the gofers—would comment on anything that had happened on set. So Ivan wrote his article for the magazine on what his editors wanted and told his readers what projects the Muppets were working on, in and out of show business.

Ivan still had his hunches, though, about what had really happened ten years ago. There had been two Muppets who had politely but consistently refused interviews with him. Two Muppets who had never been mentioned by the others in any of their interviews. Two Muppets who were, respectively, a pig and a frog. They held the key to this mystery, Ivan knew but could not prove.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Wow...

Wow!

Just wow!!!!

I am in shivers reading this story! (Unless it's the fan that's blowing on my head *switches off teh fan* Nope, it's the story.) It's so great! I am dying to know, you have me hooked. My favorites lines: "So did Scooter. So did Rowlf and Sam and Chef and everyone." That just worked so well! I saw the whole thinghappeneing over and over...

It's amazing! You have me wanting more!

Crazyminnyhaha

Reaction score
Wow....... This stoy is amazing. The Muppets broke up 10 yrs ago and now and now Ivan wants to find out what happened back then. None of the Muppets are talking but I think Kermit and Piggy know what happened being that there not doing any interviews.
Great fan fic so far.
More please :big_grin:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
This is a great story! Welcome to the forum by the way. Anyway, I'm really hooked on this story and I want to know more about the movie they never finished and it's all really good! Keep it coming!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<bouncing around with anticipation of the next part>
This is so totally awesome! Me likes and me wants more! Particularly liked this part, and then there was that, and this line, and the other line, and all of it! But actually the one line I really really wanted to point out was "If the Muppets were the Beatles of under-three-foot celebrity..." That right there, I just cracked up, I love it so much!
So come on! Tell us more! Please.

Just J

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words, everyone, and thank you for the warm welcome. It's very much appreciated.

The next installment shall be posted momentarily.

Just J

Reaction score
Part III: A Great Movie

Part III: A Great Movie

Ten years ago, spirits were high at the Muppet boarding house. There had been a lot of worry about Muppets’ Wizard of Oz—whether doing another made-for-t.v. movie was the right thing to do, whether the film would be a success, and whether it was the right project for the Muppets’ endless unique talents. The film had turned out to be a mixed bag. It got some good and some bad reviews, and in monetary terms, it did respectably but not fantastically well.

But it had done well enough that Hollywood was still willing to fund Muppet projects. And right this moment, the Muppets were gathered around the kitchen table, passing around a script for their next movie. The script was so good, nobody could contain their excitement. Not that anybody was surprised it was good. This time, leaving nothing to chance, Kermit had written the script himself.

“Oh, wow, this is some great stuff, Kermit.”

“Fer sure. Finally me and the band get some actual lines in a movie!”

“Kermit, do I really get a song? And get to play the piano too? Hot dog!”

“I do not think there are nearly enough lines for moi. But the lines there are, they are funny. So perhaps I can make do with what I’ve been given.”

Kermit grinned. He was so happy that everyone liked the script. This was going to be a great movie. There was going to be more jokes, more songs, more dancing, more Muppets, more everything.

Later that night, when everyone was in bed dreaming, Kermit was still awake and thinking about the upcoming movie. He sat at his desk, looking out the window at all the beautiful stars. He smiled when it occurred to him that he, too, was a different kind of star. But they weren’t too different, were they? The stars and him? People looked up at the stars and smiled. People watched the Muppets and smiled. That was what being a star was or, at least, what it was to Kermit.

His thoughts turned to projects past. Not everyone had liked some of the Muppets’ latest movies. Certainly not the studio heads, with their emphasis on the bottom line. But Kermit didn’t really care about them; he cared about the fans. Some of the fans, however, hadn’t been happy either. And not all of the Muppets themselves had been totally happy. Kermit had to admit that in some of the most recent movies, some of his wonderful friends had not had much screen time or much space to be their wonderful selves.

But this movie was going to make everyone happy. Well, maybe not everyone, thought the eternally optimistic frog, trying to be just a little realistic. But it sure seemed like it was going to make the Muppets happy, and when the Muppets were happy, the movie couldn’t help but be good. Yes indeed, this was going to be a great movie.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Yes indeed, this is going to be a great fanfic. Keep it coming, I'm already in love with it.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I love it! You are a great writer Just J! Thanks for sharing this with us and give us more please!