The "You know what?" thread

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
My main issue with Dunkin’ Donuts is how they just have the mentality of “eh, who cares how long they’ve been sitting, just sell them.”

And from experience I have had rotten luck getting stale donuts. There was one time I ended up just throwing away my favorite donut (Boston creme) because it tasted so disgusting with how long the donuts were clearly sitting on the shelves.

Will I go there if I crave a donut? Absolutely! But I also have to learn when to go at the right time.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Since the 26th anniversary is today (wow....)

One thing that I always loved about A Goofy Movie (and its sequel) is how it has a nice mix of a list actors (Pauly Shore, Shawn Wallace, I guess Kellie Martin? etc with a mix of voice actors you normally hear in regular cartoons (Bill Farmer, Jason Marsden, Rob Paulson etc) since it is a movie adapted from a Saturday Morning Cartoon. Especially a movie that’s influenced a big part of my love for voice acting. Plus it has such a nice flow of animation!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't know if it's more of a Southern Indiana thing (or maybe more common in some parts of the country), but when I went to school, nearly every elementary school class I was in, the teachers always had a teaching assistant. And in middle and high school, they always had an assistant for the required classes (English, Math, Science, History).

Yet on television, it seems like teachers never have assistants. Not on shows with a middle school/high school setting (where in general the schools seem to only have a handful of teachers), not on shows with an elementary school setting.

The Wonder Years and The Goldberg's have quite a few teachers on those shows and yet not one teacher has an assistant?

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Must be a midwestern thing. I live in Ohio and I’ve had teacher’s assistants in every class I can remember.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So I wonder why television shows don’t do that (they don’t do it in LA or New York?). Ten teacher/assistant combo seems like it would make for a great comedy duo.

another thing, at least with high school: in all the classes where we had two teachers, only one would be listed on the class schedule/report cards, and I assume that one was the main teacher, but I feel like the assistant did a lot more as a teacher than the main teacher listed. The assistants felt more like the teacher with the other feeling like an assistant or occasional teacher.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Maybe it’s the times. In my school years in the 70s and 80s in New Jersey, there were no teacher assistants. Substitutes, yes. But one teacher ran the whole class.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Since this season of The Goldberg's began I have mentioned a few times that I noticed Pop didn't appear much, usually just in short cameos and in most of his scenes he was sitting on the couch.

I feel like his last two appearances, the two posthumous appearances by George Segal, had Pop be a little more active than he had been this season.

Last week's show had a dedication sequence to him. I feel it must have replaced an ending tag or another video comparison to something in the episode. This tribute was more important, but I wonder what kind of video footage they would have shown otherwise. The episode has a scene with Adam doing a parody of Take on Me with rotoscoping equipment, I wonder if Adam F. Goldberg really did that (and if that's what we would have seen).

During the two years that School'd was on the air, the teachers who made their way to the spinoff didn't appear on The Goldberg's often. There were episodes with explanations that some of them had left the school and would eventually come back, but I don't think they needed to, they could have just not showed them. And yet since School'd ended, I don't think any of the cast who made the jump had come back (well, I think Lainey made a guest appearance). Johnny Adkins was a regular on both shows at the same time, but he doesn't appear anymore.

But many of the supporting characters haven't appeared much (probably because of COVID concerns). The JTP outside of Geoff have only been in a few episodes (had their appearances in the previous season been sporadic as well?), I think Emma Mirsky made her first appearance of the season in tonight's episode, Uncle Marvin hasn't been on the show this season (they didn't do a Thanksgiving episode this season).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Since this season of The Goldberg's began I have mentioned a few times that I noticed Pop didn't appear much, usually just in short cameos and in most of his scenes he was sitting on the couch.

I feel like his last two appearances, the two posthumous appearances by George Segal, had Pop be a little more active than he had been this season.

Last week's show had a dedication sequence to him. I feel it must have replaced an ending tag or another video comparison to something in the episode. This tribute was more important, but I wonder what kind of video footage they would have shown otherwise. The episode has a scene with Adam doing a parody of Take on Me with rotoscoping equipment, I wonder if Adam F. Goldberg really did that (and if that's what we would have seen).

During the two years that School'd was on the air, the teachers who made their way to the spinoff didn't appear on The Goldberg's often. There were episodes with explanations that some of them had left the school and would eventually come back, but I don't think they needed to, they could have just not showed them. And yet since School'd ended, I don't think any of the cast who made the jump had come back (well, I think Lainey made a guest appearance). Johnny Adkins was a regular on both shows at the same time, but he doesn't appear anymore.

But many of the supporting characters haven't appeared much (probably because of COVID concerns). The JTP outside of Geoff have only been in a few episodes (had their appearances in the previous season been sporadic as well?), I think Emma Mirsky made her first appearance of the season in tonight's episode, Uncle Marvin hasn't been on the show this season (they didn't do a Thanksgiving episode this season).
I'm sure COVID had something to do with why certain characters haven't really been seen that often (Johnny Adkins is a notable omission, I'd agree). But they also did that episode with a pretty big studio audience for that local talk show, so how concerned can they be? Tim Meadows has been in a few episodes since School'd left, and whatsherface teacher they added in season 2 cameoed as Erica and Barry's professor in one ep.

Emmy Mirsky's been in two other episodes this season, but they really never do much with her anyway. It kinda bothers me how they set her and Chad Kremp up as "my best friends from childhood" and yet they get nothing to do, while Dave Kim was originally just an annoyance to him but now he's Adam's best friend (which I don't mind; he's my favorite character after Barry).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Emmy Mirsky's been in two other episodes this season, but they really never do much with her anyway. It kinda bothers me how they set her and Chad Kremp up as "my best friends from childhood" and yet they get nothing to do, while Dave Kim was originally just an annoyance to him but now he's Adam's best friend (which I don't mind; he's my favorite character after Barry).
Chad Kremp is more noticable. He seems to have more in common with Adam, since when he was introduced they were both interested in making movies (though Chad ended up deciding he only liked making movies as a hobby), and seems to be what TV Tropes would call "the generic guy". His mother has appeared a lot more often than Chad did.

I thought it was weird she was considered Adam's best friend instead. But Adam did know her longer than Chad. And they have been inconsistent on which one is his best friend (sometimes it's Emmy, sometimes it's Pop, and I recall him referring to Chad as his best friend once). Until the last few seasons (I guess it started when she got a boyfriend), she always had this look in her face that made it seem like she didn't really like being around Adam, tended to snark him quite a bit (I guess that's not a lack of friendship), and most episodes that focus on her put her at odds against Adam.

I don't recall an episode with a big studio audience.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't recall an episode with a big studio audience.
It was that one from a couple of weeks ago where Geoff gets tickets to the local daytime talk show and takes Erica over Barry (thus starting the current romantic thing he's got going with Geoff's sister).