The "You know what?" thread

cjd874

Reaction score
The months September, October, November, and December represent the ninth, tenth, eleventh, and twelfth months of the calendar year. But the prefixes "sept," "oct," "nov," and "dec" are related the numbers 7, 8, 9, and 10 (an octagon has eight sides, for example). I did some quick research and learned that these months used to be part of the ancient calendar of Romulus (750 BC), which had ten months: March through December. When January and February were added, the calendar expanded to twelve months and the final four months of the year (September through December) retained their names.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just realized something I miss about hand-animated series: the gradual evolution of the character designs over the years - sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, but it really helps with the growth of an animated series as it progresses.

cjd874

Reaction score
I just realized something I miss about hand-animated series: the gradual evolution of the character designs over the years - sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, but it really helps with the growth of an animated series as it progresses.
Sure, and this was VERY evident in the classic Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoons. One could see how crude and unrefined characters like Daffy Duck, Yosemite Sam, Bugs Bunny, Sylvester, and Tweety used to be in the 1940s; but they became much more polished over time, not just in terms of looks but also in terms of their personality traits.
Daffy Duck was originally a zany character but he became a scheming egomaniac. Yosemite Sam started as a cowboy but was later used as an all-purpose villain who popped up on pirate ships, in the Sahara desert, and in the Medieval Ages on several occasions. Bugs Bunny went from being a mere wisecracking rabbit to a much wittier and wiser anti-authoritarian hero a la Groucho Marx. Watch the first Tweety/Sylvester cartoon "Tweetie Pie" (1947) and compare it to perhaps their best installment "Birds Anonymous" (1957). The differences between the characters and the storylines are significant, yet both shorts won Oscars for Warner Brothers.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was reading this article today:

I can say that my parents did, indeed, do a lot of this things mentioned in this article, however, there is one thing in particular that they did the exact opposite of, and even I truly believe this is why I'm such a failure, and that's #1.

I think about this a lot, and while I'm deeply grateful and appreciative that my parents were the kind of parents who whole-heartedly encouraged me and supported in my ambitions and aspirations, I sometimes wish they didn't . . . I mean, there's a reason why they're called "Starving Artists," and as this article points out, art is not a career, art is not a living, art has no money involved in like a more practical and lucrative career field . . . sometimes I feel like if my parents didn't encourage and support me, and rather, pressured me into a different career field, then maybe I'd be better off than I am now: steady employment, solid job security, benefits . . . sure, I'd probably be miserable and hate my life because as @LittleJerry92 and I have both noted that the 9-5 corporate world is not the kind of world us creative and artistic types are made for, maybe, just maybe, I'd be better set for life otherwise.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
i got punished every time i failed something so now i have a crippling fear of ever trying things out of fear of failure. No joke, if I perceive that i failed something, i will have a panic attack not be able to calm down for a very long time :/

of course my parents deny ever doing this

cjd874

Reaction score
i got punished every time i failed something so now i have a crippling fear of ever trying things out of fear of failure. No joke, if I perceive that i failed something, i will have a panic attack not be able to calm down for a very long time :/

of course my parents deny ever doing this
Let me be real here, and try to reassure you. Failure is NOT a bad thing...how else will we learn about new things if we're scared to try them? Think about all the things you might be missing out on. I believe that experience is the best teacher, so we must learn from our past mistakes and keep moving forward. I used to get down on myself every time I failed something, but now I take responsibility for that failure and try it again differently until I get it right. If you're able to put the past behind you, reinvent yourself and just try something new. For me, I want to get my driver's license, reconnect with old friends that I haven't seen for a while, and go to more concerts. Find people that will support you...that is super important too. DM me if you want to talk.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Let me be real here, and try to reassure you. Failure is NOT a bad thing...how else will we learn about new things if we're scared to try them? Think about all the things you might be missing out on. I believe that experience is the best teacher, so we must learn from our past mistakes and keep moving forward. I used to get down on myself every time I failed something, but now I take responsibility for that failure and try it again differently until I get it right. If you're able to put the past behind you, reinvent yourself and just try something new. For me, I want to get my driver's license, reconnect with old friends that I haven't seen for a while, and go to more concerts. Find people that will support you...that is super important too. DM me if you want to talk.
I know how you feel. In school I was good in every subject, except math. No matter how much tutoring and extra help I tried to get, I still bombed.
Geometry I did okay, but I sucked at algebra. I never even got to Trigonometry or Calculus. And because I failed math, I thought I was a failure.
A lot of sports fans talk about Michael Jordan being the greatest basketball player ever. But he pointed out the number of free throws he missed, the number of games he lost, the number of times he let his team down. But his teammates and coach Pat Riley believed in him, and he believed in himself.

We all make mistakes, we all fail, we all screw up, we all have things blow up in our face. But don't let fear keep you from trying. If you try and you fail, you can learn from it. If you don't try and you learn nothing, then you have failed. There's no failure in trying.
Take it from someone who made his share of screw ups.