The "You know what?" thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Freleng's work tended to be a lot more manic and chaotic, with plenty of physical, often times violent humor.

cjd874

Reaction score
Freleng's work tended to be a lot more manic and chaotic, with plenty of physical, often times violent humor.
I agree that Freleng's cartoons seemed to have more physical in-your-face humor (Tweety vs. Sylvester in "Birds Anonymous" and Bugs Bunny vs. Yosemite Sam in "Knighty Knight Bugs," both of which won Oscars in 1957 and 1958 respectively), whereas Jones's works were more cerebral and artsy like Daffy Duck and Porky Pig in "Duck Dodgers", Bugs and Elmer in "What's Opera Doc?" and MGM's "The Dot and the Line" (1965 Oscar winner for Best Animated Short Film). But Jones's Road Runner/Coyote cartoons had their fair share of violent humor too. I also like how some of Jones's cartoons could tell stories with minimal dialogue ("One Froggy Evening" from 1955)...Jones's main storywriter Michael Maltese was an expert at that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've just noticed that Chrome now omits the "http(s)://www." part of URLs in the address bar.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
A long time ago, shortly after the release of The Best of Sesame Street Spoofs!, one fan started a thread wondering if Sesame Workshop was intentionally keeping Mysterious Theater segments from being available to fans, in part because none were on that DVD sets (I've been debating over whether to bump that thread for what I'm about to say, but maybe this will just be enough). But I have thought of something, at least in regards to its absence from Best of Sesame Street Spoofs.

While Mysterious Theater was a parody of Mystery, an anthology series, none of the individual segments were really parodies of anything (besides the in-title-parody "Dial M for Mother"). I wonder if that's why it was excluded. The set had three Monsterpiece Theater segments, which was an anthology series as well, but at least each installment was an additional parody of something. In fact, the chapter stops don't use a "Monsterpiece Theater" header, so for example, "Gone with the Wind" is listed by that title as opposed to "Monsterpiece Theater: Gone with the Wind".

minor muppetz

Reaction score
For a while, I had been wondering if the original (aired) version of the "Imagination" song from Sesame Street actually ends with that sequence where balloons fall all over Sesame Street or if that was just part of Bedtime Stories and Songs. I'm not sure if any of us (besides Scarecroe) has a copy taken from an episode of the show, and Sesame Workshop has never uploaded that clip (just the original). The only copy I can find on YouTube is taken from the video.

Speaking of which, the "to do list" on Scarecroes main wiki page notes that "Imagination" is listed with different time lengths in scripts, ranging from about 5:18 at the longest (could it maybe be reflecting the original cut with the monsters opening?) and 3:51 at the shortest (in episode 1417, which Scarecroe recently added images from). It's possible it did have that ending but it's been shortened in many different airings (which might make it harder to determine if it was on the show just from finding an episode with it). The copy on YouTube, taken from the video release (so it might not be entirely reflective of actual length) is listed with the length as 4:31.

The remake only ends with balloons falling onto Ernie's bed, without showing balloons all over the street.

I looked at the "Imagination" wiki page and it says that the original cut actually lasted ten minutes, longer than the 5:18 run time listed in one of the scripts, but the official source might have been guessing/rounding to the nearest ten. But if it really was closer to ten minutes, then that is one long classic segment.

Looking at the version from Bedtime Stories and Songs, I tried looking at the street to see if it looks more like the 1972 or 1986 version of the street, but can't find anything to really show (it also begins with an exterior shot of the street where nothing happens, I don't know why that would have been needed on the insert - or even the video - and the street does look different there than in the balloons sequence). The only thing I can really think to check is how the fence in the arbor looks, but I can't really tell if it has graffiti or not - particularly due to the darkness, all the balloons (including transparent ones), and the fact that it's so far off in the background.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I guess I can understand the mindset from actual Italians, but I otherwise don't get all the hate that Olive Garden gets from people who say it's nothing more than a glorified Italian McDonald's, because Olive Garden's food is amazing! Not to mention their atmosphere is really cozy and homey.

Conversely, I also don't understand Cheddar's never-fizzling popularity.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
THE ODD COUPLE aired on ABC but is now owned by CBS.

M*A*S*H aired on CBS but ended up being owned by FOX (now owned by Disney).

CHEERS aired on NBC but is now owned by CBS.

SEINFELD aired on NBC but was owned by FOX for a while.

EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND aired on CBS but is owned by HBO.

THE DREW CAREY SHOW and WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? aired on ABC (owned by Disney) but are owned by Warner Bros.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's a sad world we live in where there's so much reality garbage out there that you have to specify whether a show is "scripted" or "unscripted."