The VHS Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh the Sonic proper and Sonic Universe comic book line is amazing to me. One of the few comic series I still get. I have no clue how any real Sonic fan could dismiss them or not be into them. The art, colors, flow, action is all amazing and it beautifully ties
SatAM with the game canon and Archy Sonic canon. I mean they made Bean, Bark and Fang the Sniper main characters who fight Free Sonic Racer characters while the fate of the world hangs in the balance of the regular Sonic gang and the Archie-SatAM verse. Just love it. I know you've eluded to crazy sides of Sonic fans online, thankfully never saw that.
I've recently got back into both the comics and the SatAm show. Now, it doesn't matter to me if Sonic SatAM has nothing to do with the video games, it was a very special TV series. I love playing the games and all, but half the video games I got into (with the exception of Mega Man... I liked the games prior) were due to the cartoon series. And while some of them were fun, Sonic SatAm was special. They made a whole universe for the character away from the video games. I did some research into all the shows... Sonic X and AOSTH are the most accurate to the games (X being an adaption of the Sonic Adventures series, AOSTH making allusions to the game and using some villains seen in the game as recurring bad guys)... Sonic Underground at least managed to get the story from Sonic 3 straight when they introduced Knuckles... SatAm does its own thing... and it's one of the few times the material is superior because of it. Too bad Double Dragon turning into Power Rangers wasn't.

I've always been a bigger Mario fan, technically... I wish Nintendo wasn't so bug in the butt about this sort of thing. I liked the Valliant comic line, but I really think they need to take a cue from Sonic and Mega Man and do a new arc by arc based comic book.

Yeah that's tough if you can't find digital uploads or downloads of old obscure anime you like. I thought everything by now was online or put on dvd!
Sometimes you'll find something on Youtube or Dailymotion... I got through the entire 1980's Kinnikuman series raw in a matter of weeks (due only out of fear it would be taken down)... and then I had to watch Muteking in raw Italian. Sometimes you'll find something good, sometimes you won't. I want to see the stuff that they can't market in the US because the supposed typical anime fan has a mortal fear of seeing something that isn't digitally animated and clean looking. And even then, they only like the mainstreamy stuff. I still think there's bullocks excuse for not releasing any version of Dr. Slump over here (we got the manga though)... and no one fan subs that. I saw one off the first episode and never anything again. I guess people here only care about Akira Toryama when it's Dragon Ball z.

But you don't know how many of these shows I find by accident, and getting bored and watching theme song uploads.

CountFan1998

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone here had the old DTV (the music video concept combining pop songs and clips from Disney animated shorts and films)
Do you know they STILL have that? It was relaunched recently, but as "Re-Micks". I love it, however the catch is they play MODERN music instead, like Black Eyed Peas, Far East Movement, and Miley Cyrus :smile:boo:!!!!) The only one I think you'll like is Good Vibrations by Marky Mark, and a song by the Go-Gos (I forget its name...)

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Do you know they STILL have that? It was relaunched recently, but as "Re-Micks". I love it, however the catch is they play MODERN music instead, like Black Eyed Peas, Far East Movement, and Miley Cyrus :smile:boo:!!!!) The only one I think you'll like is Good Vibrations by Marky Mark, and a song by the Go-Gos (I forget its name...)
Oh, that sounds awesome!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Someone I know was going to give me a VHS tape of untranslated Samurai Pizza Cats episodes....

and like I said before, my VCR is busted.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Recently I've been reading about VCR games. I've sort of known about them for awhile... A year ago I was at somebody's house and saw they had an old board game which referred to itself on the box as a VCR game. I was intrigued, though I didn't ask about it or inspect the game further. But then I did a Google search for "VCR Games", and saw that there actually were quite a few.

Was this concept ever popular? All these games are board games with videos included. I don't see how you can keep up the pace watching a video and playing a board game. Though I saw that there's at least one such game where you're supposed to watch the video before playing.

I saw that there was a Clue VCR game, and in fact I think there are two. There was a Terminator game, a Three Stooges game, a WWF game, a Honeymooners game, I was surprised to see there was even a Wayne's World VCR game (I would have thought they'd stop making these kinds of games by the time Wayne's World was introduced). I found a review of the Terminator VCR game, and it was mentioned that the game was expensive. Considering that most VCR games must have come out in the 1980s when VHS was really expensive, I'm not surprised. I wonder if any VCR games had seperate "beta editions".

And of course there were video games stored on VHS. Most Muppet fans should know about the InteractiVision games (most of the releases were Muppet releases), but I remember having some sort of educational game system which played VHS as well. I only had one video for that format, featuring puppets, I recall the main character being a bear. I don't really remember much about that. I found some of these videos on YouTube a year ago, and I think I subsequently read more about them on wikipedia, and I still can't remember.

Hayley B

Reaction score
I actually had one Muppet Babies on VHS. Was so happy during that time. I was in such a Muppet Babies mood. I hope that they bring episodes out on DVD though.

One :sigh: about the VHS. It didn't have Baby Animal doing his classic Go Bye-Bye. :frown:

mariolover

Reaction score
Bump. I still have a ton of VHS tapes from my childhood that my parents never got rid of and some I've gotten new because I still like to collect them. I have way too many to name here, but I will name as many as I can.

VHS tapes my parents bought for me from the store when I was a little kid and still have today:
Stuart Little
Stuart Little 2
All the original The Land Before Time Movies from the first one all the way until Journey To Big Water (with the exception of The Secret of Saurus Rock, the only one out of all of those I don't have for some reason. The Land Before Time movies 1-5 are from MCA/Universal Home Video)
Bear In The Big Blue House: A Berry Bear Christmas
Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London
Shrek (original 2001 release)
Pokemon: Poke Friends
Pokemon: The Final Badge
Pokemon: Primeape Problems
Pokemon: ROUND ONE!
Pokemon 3: The Movie
Looney Tunes: Back In Action
Follow That Bird (2002 release)
Toy Story (1996 release)
The Lion King (1995 release)
Hercules (2000 release)
The Aristocats (2000 release)
Dumbo (2001 release)
Frosty The Snowman (1999 release)
Pokemon 4Ever
Clifford The Big Red Dog: Clifford Saves The Day!
Clifford The Big Red Dog: Clifford's Best Friends
The Lion King 1 1/2

VHS tapes I acquired later:
Cars
Valiant
Stuart Little 3
The Wizard of Oz (1980 release)
Agent Cody Banks (I don't know why I had the first one but not this one as a kid)
Muppets From Space (we borrowed it from a friend when I was little but then we had to give it back, so I got a replacement copy in 2012.)
Antwone Fisher
The Terminator
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1995 and 2000 releases)
The Matrix (Widescreen version with no previews)
Antwone Fisher
Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever
The Bible parts 1 and 2 (Magnetic Video Corporation)
The Making of Star Wars (1979 release)
Silver Streak (1980 release)
The French Connection (1979 release)
The Muppet Movie (1993 and 1999 releases, my 1999 copy has no previews because it's a reprint from 2006. THAT'S RARE!)
The Muppets Take Manhattan (1999 release with previews)
The Berenstain Bears: Adventure And Fun For Everyone!
The Berenstain Bears: Bears Out And About!
The Beatles: Yellow Submarine (1987 and 1999 releases)
The Sixth Sense (original and video bonus versions)

I know my parents also bought the VHS tapes of The Prince of Egypt and Joseph: King of Dreams for me when I was a little kid, but I can't find them anywhere right now! I sure hope we didn't get rid of them. If we did, I can always order new copies. Those were GREAT MOVIES! Childhood classics!

I was below the age of accountability (look it up if you don't know what that is) when I first watched The Prince of Egypt and Joseph: King of Dreams, so I had no clue that they were about actual Bible stories, but I still loved the animation and music so I'm sure it would bring me nostalgia to watch them again

I will let you guys know if I find them.

I also used to have Blue's Big Musical on VHS, which my parents also bought for me as a little kid, but I know for sure we got rid of that one.

I love VHS tapes! I like them better than DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Last edited:

mariolover

Reaction score
Bump. I still have a ton of VHS tapes from my childhood that my parents never got rid of and some I've gotten new because I still like to collect them. I have way too many to name here, but I will name as many as I can.

VHS tapes my parents bought for me from the store when I was a little kid and still have today:
Stuart Little
Stuart Little 2
All the original The Land Before Time Movies from the first one all the way until Journey To Big Water (with the exception of The Secret of Saurus Rock, the only one out of all of those I don't have for some reason. The Land Before Time movies 1-5 are from MCA/Universal Home Video)
Toy Story (1996 release)
Hercules (2000 release)
Dumbo (2001 release)
Pokemon 4Ever
The Lion King 1 1/2

Cars
Valiant
Stuart Little 3
Agent Cody Banks (I don't know why I had the first one but not this one as a kid)
Muppets From Space (we borrowed it from a friend when I was little but then we had to give it back, so I got a replacement copy in 2012.)
Antwone Fisher
The Terminator
Antwone Fisher
The Muppet Movie (1993 and 1999 releases, my 1999 copy has no previews because it's a reprint from 2006. THAT'S RARE!)

I know my parents also bought the VHS tapes of The Prince of Egypt and Joseph: King of Dreams for me when I was a little kid, but I can't find them anywhere right now! I sure hope we didn't get rid of them. If we did, I can always order new copies. Those were GREAT MOVIES! Childhood classics!

I was below the age of accountability (look it up if you don't know what that is) when I first watched The Prince of Egypt and Joseph: King of Dreams, so I had no clue that they were about actual Bible stories, but I still loved the animation and music so I'm sure it would bring me nostalgia to watch them again

I also used to have Blue's Big Musical on VHS, which my parents also bought for me as a little kid, but I know for sure we got rid of that one.

I forgot to say I also acquired later:

Tomorrow Never Dies (Original 1998 VHS with previews and MGM/UA Home Video sticker label. Tape itself and box uses MGM Home Entertainment logo)

GoldenEye (1996 retail, non-rental version, the one with the Gillette, Twister, and Grumpier Old Men trailers)

Dr. No (1992 release)

Spider Man

Akeelah And The Bee

Barbershop

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score

Stuart Little
Stuart Little 2
Toy Story (1996 release)
Hercules (2000 release)
Dumbo (2001 release)
Pokemon 4Ever
The Lion King 1 1/2

Cars
Valiant
Stuart Little 3
Antwone Fisher
The Terminator
Antwone Fisher

Do you have any recorded VHS tapes?