The VHS Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, and by that logic I'd think the average fans would continue buying future TMNT games even after the first wasn't very good.
A huge handful, even today, of video games based on cartoon and movie franchises did indeed suck... some may have sold pretty poorly.. but the TMNT video game franchise DID survive the first game... only after changing it to be more like the arcade versions. Though SNES only had an arcade port and a Street Fighter type game... Konami had the TMNT license (and produced at least 2 major console games and 3 handhelds) well through until the last movie.

Gamers are quick to abandon a franchise if they don't like something
Yeah, but the licensed character ones rarely went for hard core gamers anyway, and were just seen as merchandising and little else. Plus, that original NES TMNT game was intended mainly for fans of the show that would buy anything with them on it at the time. So, a lot of TMNT fans were suckered into buying a terrible game. But the patience paid off for the arcade port and the even better Manhattan Project.

Something like that wouldn't fly much today, but the gaming industry was MUCH different in the 80's than it was today.

Still... after playing some of the REALLY bad Sunsoft Batman games, I guess that's what Konami was trying to emulate... you know... villains that have NOTHING to do with the license. At least they had Foot Soldiers and Mousers and Shredder in TMNT... what the heck is up with those Batman games? When did the Joker get that high tech, and not make everything joke or clown related?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Something I kind of noticed about buying used videos, DVDs, and video games: It seems like flea markets and such tend to sell these things at real low prices, around 1 dollar (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less), while stores that specialize in selling used videos, DVDs, and games seem to sell them for only slightly less than they would have cost when they were new (though as I said earlier, I have seen some things at these places for really high prices), kind of like how Wal-Mart and Meijer seem to promote selling things for less only for the "less" to only be a few dollars less than at other places (and many of the things I really want aren't even sold at those stores).

A huge handful, even today, of video games based on cartoon and movie franchises did indeed suck... some may have sold pretty poorly.. but the TMNT video game franchise DID survive the first game... only after changing it to be more like the arcade versions. Though SNES only had an arcade port and a Street Fighter type game... Konami had the TMNT license (and produced at least 2 major console games and 3 handhelds) well through until the last movie.
The SNES release of Turtles in Time wasn't exactly a port, since it did have additional levels and some changes (Bebop and Rocksteady replaced Tokka and Razar in one level while that duo became bosses for one of the additional levels).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Something I kind of noticed about buying used videos, DVDs, and video games: It seems like flea markets and such tend to sell these things at real low prices, around 1 dollar (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less), while stores that specialize in selling used videos, DVDs, and games seem to sell them for only slightly less than they would have cost when they were new (though as I said earlier, I have seen some things at these places for really high prices), kind of like how Wal-Mart and Meijer seem to promote selling things for less only for the "less" to only be a few dollars less than at other places (and many of the things I really want aren't even sold at those stores).
People want to get rid of their crap and fast. They aren't going to lose sleep over selling a 20 dollar game for a buck if they dont play it. And really, if you sold your games to gamestop, thats basically what they would give you anyway. Gamestop needs to make money, even if they do gouge used games. If they sold every used game they bught for a dollar, they would lose money.

Though, what I find amazing is that they sell things based on the packaging. Games that are missing their box sell literally for two bucks, while the packaged used equivalent will sell for 10 or 20. I bought Rock Band Unplugged without the case for two bucks, but the packaged one was 30 bucks. I always look through the games that don't have cases. Most of it is crap, but you never know what you can find at 98% off :stick_out_tongue:

I would love to know how they decide on a price for games though. I have found very good games being sold for 5 or less, yet utter poo selling for much more. It seems kinda random when they price old games, and we are talking PS2 and Gamecube. X Box and PS3 are crazy used. I got Tekken 6 for 18 used, only 2 bucks less than new (but they didnt have it new or I would have just got it)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
People want to get rid of their crap and fast. They aren't going to lose sleep over selling a 20 dollar game for a buck if they dont play it. And really, if you sold your games to gamestop, thats basically what they would give you anyway. Gamestop needs to make money, even if they do gouge used games. If they sold every used game they bught for a dollar, they would lose money.
Yeah, I have sold some DVDs to used video stores in the past and didn't get much, even though they'd charge higher prices, but I figured that's how they make their money.

I've often searched for and failed to find copies of the Muppet videos from Playhouse as well as the Play-Along Videos, but it makes me wonder if they would be priced low or fairly high if I did find them. I've recently considered ordering some of the Playhouse releases online, but saw that they typically run on Amazon from 23-46 dollars (I know, they're worth it, but still) and even saw that Amazon is selling a used copy of Muppet Moments for 186 dollars. But then again, I don't know if that's lower than they initially cost or not.

Speaking of that, anybody have any idea of the average cost of kids videos in the 1980s? Because there were a lot of made-for-video stuff for kids (including educational videos), typically lasting 30 minutes. A lot of old VHS releases of childrens shows seem to have only included one episode. Though I saw a print ad for the My Sesame Street Home Video series which I think advertised the first six at being around 17.99 a piece.

beaker

Reaction score
I hated the Disney Clampshells. I was alll about the late 80's through early 90's Muppet related vhs. The Youre as funny as fozzie bear, the Muppet family xmas release(ok, that was 1998 but still), the mid 80's Muppet vhs tapes. The cool 1993 era Fraggle Rock and Muppet video releases. VHS in my view looks TERRIBLE on lcd flat panels. Im glad I have my 2003 last of the cathode ray tvs, where it was called "Tru flat" as it displays both vhs, widescreen and pan and scan dvds very well.

The last vhs I ever got was the Mcdonalds Clasky Ksupo cartoon specials. I have a lot of cool late 80's/early 90's animated vhs, particularly the international festival of animation and early cgi animation releases.

beaker

Reaction score
I absolutely hate Gamestop. They have a scam going where they pressure people into buying the "used" version of a game, even though you only save 3-4 bucks and the publsher doesnt get a penny of it. They also chased away all mom and pop stores, don't give much of anything for trade ins, and to me don't hold a candle to old school Electronic Boutique, Babbages and Software Etc.

beaker

Reaction score
Well, my VHS player's dead. And it almost took my Korean Grocer copy of a Dr. Slump movie down with it. Oh... it could still PLAy videos... getting them in and out was the problem (hence the it almost took it down part).

Now I'm stuck with a WHOLE bunch of Korean grocer bootleg VHS of Doraemon, Kochiekame, Shin-Chan, and all this other fun stuff I'm never going to be able to watch again. :rolleyes:
None of that stuff is available as fansubs online?

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah, but you gotta figure... the "fans" at that point were like 7-10 year old boys who'd buy anything with the TMNT on it at the time. I'm not sure if 4 million is impressive or not... I don't know what the average sales number was back then... but at least they didn't have to dig a mass grave for the unsold carts, like Atari had to do with E.T. and some other games near the end of the Atari's popularity.
I was a huuuuge TMNT fan 1988-1992, but I also had my standards. I hated the NES game, LOVED the 1989 4 player arcade game, was "meh" on the NES version, but loved both Turtles in Time arcade and SNES release. I also consider the first TMNT film one of the greatest films of all time...but refuse to ever watch 2 or 3 ever again. I also think the 2007 cgi film is nothing short of visionary. So I like both 80s/early 90s and 2003-2007 TMNT a great deal. But TMNT is for all intents and purposes dead

Drtooth

Reaction score
None of that stuff is available as fansubs online?
Considering none of those are yaoi or made in the past 5 years, no. I did find a fansub Moretsu Ataro on Youtube a few days ago... but only one episode. But I like to watch the stuff we AREN'T watching. And that stuff is extremely rare, no matter how big they were in their native country. I'm so glad that some company is releasing the first Lupin III series on DVD... no one ever fansubs that one. Or the third Lupin III series. And the only time I ever saw the second one was the legal DVD releases. That's why anime "fandom" bugs me... it's like 90% of them are just gamers that watch one or two new shows and call themselves experts. No one wants to dig up rare stuff, or even stuff that was popular all over the world except here. And they wonder why the culture's dying.

I was a huuuuge TMNT fan 1988-1992, but I also had my standards. I hated the NES game, LOVED the 1989 4 player arcade game, was "meh" on the NES version, but loved both Turtles in Time arcade and SNES release. I also consider the first TMNT film one of the greatest films of all time...but refuse to ever watch 2 or 3 ever again. I also think the 2007 cgi film is nothing short of visionary. So I like both 80s/early 90s and 2003-2007 TMNT a great deal. But TMNT is for all intents and purposes dead
Like I said... I only care about the comics, and we got them back. It's alive for that purpose only, and I'm fine with it. I'm loving it 6 issues in, can't wait for issue 7 and the Donatello micro series one shot. Probably will skip the Infestation gimmick. If there was no comic, I'd agree. Even if we had a great new series, great new merchandise, and an amazing movie... No comic? No go.

Still, I find it amazing Archie's Sonic comic kept the franchise alive and going in between games, AND managed to keep an all too short lived cartoon series' legacy going for almost 20 years now. And their Mega Man line is basically the only thing fans have been getting from the franchise since Capcom keeps cancelling games because they don't appeal to jackwagon bloodlusting pseudo-gamers. It's amazing how far comics have come, giving respect to them being a new media rather than toss away cross promotional merchandise.

beaker

Reaction score
Considering none of those are yaoi or made in the past 5 years, no. I did find a fansub Moretsu Ataro on Youtube a few days ago... but only one episode. But I like to watch the stuff we AREN'T watching. And that stuff is extremely rare, no matter how big they were in their native country. I'm so glad that some company is releasing the first Lupin III series on DVD... no one ever fansubs that one. Or the third Lupin III series. And the only time I ever saw the second one was the legal DVD releases. That's why anime "fandom" bugs me... it's like 90% of them are just gamers that watch one or two new shows and call themselves experts. No one wants to dig up rare stuff, or even stuff that was popular all over the world except here. And they wonder why the culture's dying.

Like I said... I only care about the comics, and we got them back. It's alive for that purpose only, and I'm fine with it. I'm loving it 6 issues in, can't wait for issue 7 and the Donatello micro series one shot. Probably will skip the Infestation gimmick. If there was no comic, I'd agree. Even if we had a great new series, great new merchandise, and an amazing movie... No comic? No go.

Still, I find it amazing Archie's Sonic comic kept the franchise alive and going in between games, AND managed to keep an all too short lived cartoon series' legacy going for almost 20 years now. And their Mega Man line is basically the only thing fans have been getting from the franchise since Capcom keeps cancelling games because they don't appeal to jackwagon bloodlusting pseudo-gamers. It's amazing how far comics have come, giving respect to them being a new media rather than toss away cross promotional merchandise.
Oh the Sonic proper and Sonic Universe comic book line is amazing to me. One of the few comic series I still get. I have no clue how any real Sonic fan could dismiss them or not be into them. The art, colors, flow, action is all amazing and it beautifully ties
SatAM with the game canon and Archy Sonic canon. I mean they made Bean, Bark and Fang the Sniper main characters who fight Free Sonic Racer characters while the fate of the world hangs in the balance of the regular Sonic gang and the Archie-SatAM verse. Just love it. I know you've eluded to crazy sides of Sonic fans online, thankfully never saw that.

Yeah that's tough if you can't find digital uploads or downloads of old obscure anime you like. I thought everything by now was online or put on dvd!

I haven't seen much of the new TMNT series, but I trust your word that it's pretty good. I prefer early-mid 90's mirage TMNT and the 2003 Dreamwave comics. But I also have a like for any b/w series.