The Sesame movie that never was

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Man, I will never forget how SW so coincidentally released that video the exact same week I released Steve D'Monster's campaign to be the first monster president in history! IIRC, I released his on a Monday, they released theirs that Thursday or Friday.
*gasp!* Those snakes! Sounds like you had a Sesame Street spy working on your campaign.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I wouldn't be hard to convince Steve of that; instead, he just blames it on Easter Egg being a flaky running mate.

datman24

Reaction score
That whole plot synopsis just sounds like one weird fan-fiction.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
As other says, this sounds a lot more like fan fiction (as I was reading the page, I started wondering if the page was created by one of those members who tends to treat Muppet Wiki like a fan fiction wiki, but I saw that it was started by either Scott or Shane so it's real).

The idea of Big Bird running for/becoming president sounds more like it'd be better as a Sesame Street Live show than a movie, but even then, the antagonist/conflict plot sounds dark for that (maybe even dark for the movie). It is interesting that they considered bringing back Herbert Birdsfoot (which made me think more that it's hard to believe this wasn't fan fiction).

Of course the political plot makes this sound more like something that I can see convincing adults that this is more than just an extended episode of the show and paying the ticket price.

This and the Sesame Street Fever ideas sound kinda weird/odd for theatrical films (and maybe even then....), though the plot of the upcoming Sesame Street movie (where it's acknowledged Sesame Street is a show) sounds similar to Fever (I don't think the wiki has a page for that). I hope the wiki finds more memos/treatments concerning unproduced Sesame Street films (I'd also like it if they found official memos and such for Follow That Bird).

Also interesting that they considered having Disney distribute (I'll have to read it again to see if Disney was actually interested), just a few years before the first time Jim Henson considered selling to Disney (but not wanting to include the Sesame Street Muppets in the deal).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean, the subplot of TOY STORY 4 involving Woody and Buzz going out in search of Bo Peep honestly sounds like a fanfic as well.

VMX seems like an emo teen crawling out of his depressed funk and deciding he's going to try to write a Muppet fanfic.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
"Secretary of Cookie"... 🤣

Interesting they would've given Herry a decent-sized role; he was always the character on the fringes, teetering between popular and obscure.

Seems like all the political stuff may have bored kids tbh; as others have echoed, probably for the better this wasn't made.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Interesting they would've given Herry a decent-sized role; he was always the character on the fringes, teetering between popular and obscure.
Herry needs more love. Though seems Grover does a lot in the concept of the supposed movie. Which is interesting, knowing how Frank was slowly moving away from performing.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
It sounds like this movie that never was, paled in comparison to "The Star Wars Holuday Special", but not storyline related. This idea of a movie was likely an early attempt to continue profiting on the success of "Sesame Street" while its ratings were strong. CTW may have backed down on this movie idea the same way George Lucas refused to re-air The Star Wars Holiday Special" after its initial broadcast. The special was said to have nearly destroyed the Star Wars franchise, but Lucas kept on producing more Star Wars sequels afterwards, and they were very successful. CTW may have devided not to risk losing the popularity of the Sesame Street brand, so they simply chose not to go ahead with the oroginzl movie, but they went back to the drawing board.and produced the successful "Follow That Bird". It did get a nice bit of revenue, though definitely a very far cry from "E.T." and "Return of the Jedi".

Of vourse, whatI am saying is just speculation on my part.

I finf it hard to believe that "The Muppet Show" spawned a lot of movies, yet "Sesame Street" spawned only two movies (and a third now in production).