The Saddest thing that reminds you that you're old...

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Even though it seems to be hanging by a thread, thereā€™s still a demand for vinyl.

Thereā€™s a place an hour from me called the Princeton Record Exchange. Right across the street from Princeton University. I used to go there a couple times a year. They sell CDs and DVDs, but their big draw is vinyl LPs. And itā€™s not just old coots like me me, but college kids discovering vinyl.
Iā€™ve been going there since the late 80s, and this place ainā€™t going out of business anytime soon. šŸ˜‹

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I wouldn't say hanging by a thread; vinyl seems to have made a huge comeback in recent years . . . and apparently audio cassette tapes are on the verge of making a comeback too, for some reason.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Cassettes, the sound quality wasnā€™t the best, and they broke easily. Easy for the heads in the tape deck to chew them up.

But it is nice to see a vinyl revival. Certain titles are put out in 180 gram vinyl, for excellent sonic quality. Even better than LPs released in the 80s.

Back in the late 80s when CDs were hitting big, they sounded sterile compared to the warm sound of vinyl. They eventually got the hang of remastering, but classic titles released in 1987 sounded like garbage.

some of the best-sounding LPs ever came from Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs. MFDL released classical and jazz titles, and a select number of rock titles. Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin were among the few bands that got the MFSL treatment. Their LPs, which came out in the late 70s, cost 15 bucks a pop back then, when LPs usually cost 8 bucks. But if you had a thousand dollar stereo and decent headphones, MFSL albums were a good investment.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Not really. If fact here a couple of video that explains why it's not dead.
I actually just watched these two videos. He does bring up some interesting points in both. I just feel like physical media seems to be.... shoved to the side now. Because streaming is number one. And people think once itā€™s up there itā€™s up there forever. And then when itā€™s gone they act all shocked like they didnā€™t expect it.

Zappetman

Reaction score
Cassettes, the sound quality wasnā€™t the best, and they broke easily. Easy for the heads in the tape deck to chew them up.
It depends. There are 4 kinds of cassette. The best of has to be Metal cassettes (Which sound also as good as a Reel to Reel Tape or either a very high quality and well mastered CD or MP3) and the worst being Ferric Oxide cassettes.

In fact here a couple of YouTube videos on all of this better then I can.

Last edited:

datman24

Reaction score
Even though it seems to be hanging by a thread, thereā€™s still a demand for vinyl.

Thereā€™s a place an hour from me called the Princeton Record Exchange. Right across the street from Princeton University. I used to go there a couple times a year. They sell CDs and DVDs, but their big draw is vinyl LPs. And itā€™s not just old coots like me me, but college kids discovering vinyl.
Iā€™ve been going there since the late 80s, and this place ainā€™t going out of business anytime soon. šŸ˜‹
Youā€™re a Jersey resident, too?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Born and bred.
Ten years or so ago, because I live in New Jersey, people thought I knew the cast of Jersey Shore. Sorry, I never bumped into Snookie or The Situation. Just because weā€™re a tiny state, doesnā€™t mean everyone is in your backyard.
Never met any of The Sopranos either. I can point out many of the locations seen in the credits, but Vince Pastore and I never crossed paths.
One Jersey celebrity I did meet was Uncle Floyd He had a ā€œkiddieā€ show that attracted a big college crowd, and even stars like John Lennon and David Bowie were fans.

datman24

Reaction score
Born and bred.
Ten years or so ago, because I live in New Jersey, people thought I knew the cast of Jersey Shore. Sorry, I never bumped into Snookie or The Situation. Just because weā€™re a tiny state, doesnā€™t mean everyone is in your backyard.
Never met any of The Sopranos either. I can point out many of the locations seen in the credits, but Vince Pastore and I never crossed paths.
One Jersey celebrity I did meet was Uncle Floyd He had a ā€œkiddieā€ show that attracted a big college crowd, and even stars like John Lennon and David Bowie were fans.
Thatā€™s awesome. Princeton Record Exchange is about 20 minutes from where I am. I rarely go there, but my brother frequents that place quite often. The one NJ celebrity I got to meet Bruce Springsteen.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Ooooh, thatā€™s so cool! My dad got to meet Bruce a couple years ago. He told me he had a pretty down to earth personality from his interaction.