The Official "I'm looking for/trying to remember a sketch" thread

hooperfan

Reaction score
Is the sketch with Gordon (Robinson) and Mr. Hooper eating ice cream cones available anywhere?

This is one of those "limbo" sketches, except this one had a huge sun overhead. The premise is that they somehow cannot eat their ice cream until they remove their sweaters. No audio except for a music soundtrack, IIRC.

Did this appear on Sesame Street Unpaved? I noticed a screenshot was added recently to the Muppet Wiki episode guide (Episode 193) and it had a Noggin watermark. But this one had a fairly short lifespan, since Hal Cooper replaced Matt Robinson in Season 4, and they typically did not reuse sketches that had a retired human character in it. (I did once see a model airplane sketch with Cooper as Gordon a season or two into Roscoe Orman's time, though.)
The screenshot was taken from the Sesame Street Unpaved special from '99. Just a second or so was shown in a montage of clips

SesameMike

Reaction score
Does anyone remember a scene in Mr. Hooper's store where a guitarist wrote a song about a HUGE sandwich they built? Season 5 or so.

In this scene, a male guitarist, probably a guest star, sat at the far-right side of the counter. Behind the counter was either Tom (more likely) or Mr. Hooper. Also in the scene was Oscar. Someone, possibly the guitarist, suggests singing a song about making a sandwich. So they take this submarine roll that's at least 3 feet long. The counter person removes the top, and spreads butter about the whole inside. This is done as the musician sings and plays on guitar -- gently, folk-music style:

Let's make a sandwich. And we'll have a butter sandwich. We'll have a butter sandwich. On hee-ro bread.

Then someone suggests adding ham. The counter person liberally adds ham slices while the guitar man sings:

Let's make a sandwich. And we'll have a ham and butter sandwich. A ham and butter sandwich. On hero bread.

Then someone suggests adding cheese. Again, the counter person adds cheese slices while the guitar man sings:

Let's make a sandwich. And we'll have a cheese ham butter sandwich. A cheese ham butter sandwich. On hero bread.

More and more items are added; for each item, the guitar man sings and plays a verse in a cumulative song. Oscar, in addition to the occasional annoyed comment, suggested some items of his own, such as sour pickles. (I wanna say sauerkraut was his suggestion as well, but I might be conflating that with the time Tom made up catering plates for Oscar's party that had a "pickle roast".) Later on, though, Oscar had some ridiculous suggestions such as whipped cream, and nuts on top of that -- foods that are not unappetizing per se, but they don't exactly belong on that kind of a sandwich. I think the guitar man uttered a begrudging "OK Oscar" before singing at least one of the verses with said items. At some point Tabasco sauce was added (or was it Worcestershire sauce… or maybe both were in there!)

The final verse was interesting, as it suggested they somehow ran out of bread. (Huh?) It went"

Send for the baker. (x2?)
We made a Tabasco sauce-whipped cream-sour pickle (etcetera-etcetera) cheese-ham-butter sandwich.
A Tabasco sauce-whipped cream-sour pickle (etcetera-etcetera) cheese ham butter sandwich.
But we need more bread.

At this point the adults are uncertain what to do with this gastronomic monstrosity. Unsurprisingly, Oscar is only too happy to consume this ridiculous Dagwood sandwich. We see him put the flimsy top back on the roll and start to haul it away, but unlike CM and Ernie, do we ever actually see Oscar eat?

Note: If they did add Tabasco sauce, it would be a rare case of the show using a brand name. For Tabasco is one of those "generic trademarks" like Kleenex, Xerox, or Band-Aid -- often used generically, but still a private label.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
There was a film/song segment from the early 1980s which had the lyrics "Come one, come all to the harvest ball, everybody is welcome, be careful don't fall" and the segment closed out with a boy running with a bunch of balloons in his hand, tripping up, falling, and releasing the balloons into the sky, flying away. I recall the singer possibly being the same one who sang "What Do People Do All Day?" which was released in 1980.

I tried searching for the song - no luck.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
The first line sounds like the opening theme to Crank Yankers: "Come one, come all, cuz we're having a ball. We're just making some calls to strangers."

SesameMike

Reaction score
Does anyone remember when Farley (or a similar little-boy Muppet) literally pushed Susan and Gordon's refrigerator to the Fix-it Shop?

The scene started in the kitchen inside the 123 tenement. Susan opens the fridge and is upset to find that the light did not go on when she opened the door. Farley decides he'll be helpful and plans to take the fridge to the Fix-it shop. At least one scene showed Farley straining to push a full-size refrigerator down the street, though how he got it down the stoop in one piece is a mystery.

Inside the Fix-it Shop, Luis (or someone else, I remember a different accent) politely explains that all he needed to do was replace the burned-out bulb, which he did. When Farley says he'll push the fridge back, Luis says that's OK he'll carry it back in his trunk.

Farley also took two other items to the shop from Susan's place. One was a radio on the shelf; it was "broken" because it wasn't playing any music (uhh, it was powered off at the time).

"Little things we noticed" department: one of the grocery items inside Susan's darkened fridge was a Green Giant product. Not very often did the show have a brand name visible or mentioned. Well, a real-world brand name -- anyone for "Figgy Fizz"?

SesameMike

Reaction score
Thanks Oscarfan!! That sounds like exactly the episode I described. Of course, a few details are off, such as it being Grover rather than Farley (unless that was just the original story treatment and it really was Farley), but it's been almost half a century.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Anyone remember when Sam the Robot showed off his audio-synthesis abilities, and did so just a wee bit too accurately?

One of the sounds Sam makes is that of a telephone ringing. David, who is minding Mr. Hooper's store, races to answer the phone, but alas, no one is on the line. Sam then emulates the sound of rainfall. Again, David runs to go adjust the store's awning, but when he gets outside there's no rain to speak of. Earlier on, Luis kept responding to Sam's sounds, like when he ran to check if he left a kettle on the stove; Sam had just produced the sound of a tea kettle whistle.

Towards the end of the episode, the adults confront Sam for driving them crazy all day with the multitude of sounds he emitted. Sam apologizes, and instead produces some "nice" sounds, like birds singing maybe. But the final sound he made was a special song, one that he "once heard a cement mixer" sing. This was a very pleasant-sounding, instrumental synthesizer piece which played through to the end, even replacing the usual harmonica theme music. Sam himself also did the sponsor letters and number.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
There was a film/song segment from the early 1980s which had the lyrics "Come one, come all to the harvest ball, everybody is welcome, be careful don't fall" and the segment closed out with a boy running with a bunch of balloons in his hand, tripping up, falling, and releasing the balloons into the sky, flying away. I recall the singer possibly being the same one who sang "What Do People Do All Day?" which was released in 1980.

I just heard that song on Muppet Central Radio today. They called it “Fall Song” by the Sesame Street House Band.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score

Ta-da! (Although I don't think it's the same singer as "What Do People Do All Day")