The "Nostalgia Over Things You Didn't Even Live Through" Thread

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
This is just a thread idea I came up with for those of us who enjoy the music, movies, TV, etc. that came out before we were born. Feel free to talk about any favorite retro bands/singers, actors, etc. or tell of any experiences that happened to you involving any of this. Please try not to turn this into another "Let's complain about modern stuff!"-type thread.

SSLFan

Reaction score
I'm pretty Nostalgic over anything before my time, lol. I love watching films from the "Golden Age" of movies, espicially anything Hitchcock. 2 favorite films of mine by him are Vertigo & Rear Window. Besides Hitchcock films, other favorites of mine are Gilda & Gone With the Wind. I still have yet to see other classics such as Casablanca and Citizen Cane though.

And I'm sure we all are fimiliar with the classic The Wizard of Oz.

I love 70's/80's sitcoms, namely Three's Company, Good Times, The Cosby Show, The Golden Girls, Sanford and Son, The Jeffersons, Alf, Maude, All in the Family & The Muppet Show. hehe.

Same goes for movies: Back to the Future (preferrably the first 2),Teen Wolf, E.T. The Extraterrestrial, Gremlins, Lethal Weapon, Rocky IV, The Color Purple, The Breakfeast Club, The Wiz, Beverly Hills Cop, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Christine (horror film), Clue (with Tim Curry), Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Labyrnith & The Muppets Take Manhattan.

The list goes on and on actually...

I've taken intrest in learning about a lot of the 80's fads, such as Show Biz Pizza Place & the Rock-afire explosion. I also like looking at old 80's commercials on Youtube.

And of course, I'll watch anything "Henson-related", from the tv specials to a Bert & Ernie segment from Sesame Street.

I love the nostalgia.

:super:

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I was born when the 1980s were almost over (1987, to be exact), but I adore music from the '80s and before. I have several CDs that are only '80s tunes (mostly one-hit wonders!).

Convincing John

Reaction score
I love 70's/80's sitcoms, namely Three's Company, Good Times, The Cosby Show, The Golden Girls, Sanford and Son, The Jeffersons, Alf, Maude, All in the Family & The Muppet Show. hehe.

Same goes for movies: Back to the Future (preferrably the first 2),Teen Wolf, E.T. The Extraterrestrial, Gremlins, Lethal Weapon, Rocky IV, The Color Purple, The Breakfeast Club, The Wiz, Beverly Hills Cop, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Christine (horror film), Clue (with Tim Curry), Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Labyrnith & The Muppets Take Manhattan.

I love the nostalgia.

:super:
You got some good stuff listed there. Many's the night when I worked late on an art project in my apartment and they'd play Three's Company in the wee hours of the morning.

Have you seen this? It's an NBC promo that features a bunch of stars from the 80s. They played 'em all the time in 86 and 87.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21IATttfmsE

Old commercials are a lot of fun to see. My favorites of course are any of Jim's stuff (like the Wilkins Coffee ads). There's so many...

I really enjoy the original Twilight Zone episodes with Rod Serling. They have a marathon on New Year's Eve, I think.

There were a TON of Warner Bros. cartoons made before I was born, but I loved those too. Chuck Jones and Mel Blanc went perfectly with the Capn' Crunch on Saturday mornings when I was a kid. Same goes for the Three Stooges fims and the Little Rascals.

I recently saw on Youtube something that was made before I was born, but it isn't really a show. It's called "Goodnight Kiwi" and it's from New Zealand. Back when TV stations would actually sign off for the night, they played this little cartoon. It's cute and it's also an innocent little reminder of how TV used to be before 24 hour infommercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bHJzrryb1I

Convincing John

Nick22

Reaction score
i LOVE steven spielberg stuff especially: the goonies, jaws, gremlins, back to the future (i dont like the third one though), etc. and of course i love stuff like grease, the wizard of oz, bye bye birdy, hairspray and other older musicals. i like chitty chitty bang bang too. lol. just say the dvd sitting on the counter.

i LOVE older music. i mostly listen to classic rock/rock. my mom's family is very musically inclined, and i've sorta followed in their footsteps opposed to my dad's sports oriented side. i love the beatles, lynard skynard, janis joplin, bob dylan, the who, and i know there's more but i can't think of em. i like SOME 80s music. sorta. like, i can do some cyndi lauper ANYDAY. michael jackson too. :smile:

as for tv shows: the muppet show, the brady bunch, the cosby show, full house (not old rully, but whatever). and yeah

and i simply just love old THINGS. i have an old 80s boombox that my math teacher gave me cause she found it in the closet and i said i thought it looked cool and she let me take it home :big_grin: i like old clothes too. definitely.

i think i covered everything. :smile:

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
i LOVE older music. i mostly listen to classic rock/rock. my mom's family is very musically inclined, and i've sorta followed in their footsteps opposed to my dad's sports oriented side. i love the beatles, lynard skynard, janis joplin, bob dylan, the who, and i know there's more but i can't think of em. i like SOME 80s music. sorta. like, i can do some cyndi lauper ANYDAY. michael jackson too.
High-five to that, man! :cool: I actually have a story from our last vacation to mention involving that:

So, my parents and I were in New York with a few hours before Wicked started. We decided to go eat at Planet Hollywood, and they were taking requests for songs to play. I ended up requesting the song "Bennie and the Jets", which was played a few minutes later with the dj saying something along the lines of "...And part of what makes it so awesome is that it was requested by a younger person. Gives some hope about our future..." :smile:

and i simply just love old THINGS. i have an old 80s boombox that my math teacher gave me cause she found it in the closet and i said i thought it looked cool and she let me take it home :big_grin: i like old clothes too. definitely.
That is so cool. I really with we had 80's Day again at school. Or even 60's or 70's Days. And I wouldn't mind a replay of that 50's Sock Hop back in elementary school either...

Nick22

Reaction score
High-five to that, man! :cool: I actually have a story from our last vacation to mention involving that:

So, my parents and I were in New York with a few hours before Wicked started. We decided to go eat at Planet Hollywood, and they were taking requests for songs to play. I ended up requesting the song "Bennie and the Jets", which was played a few minutes later with the dj saying something along the lines of "...And part of what makes it so awesome is that it was requested by a younger person. Gives some hope about our future..." :smile:

That is so cool. I really with we had 80's Day again at school. Or even 60's or 70's Days. And I wouldn't mind a replay of that 50's Sock Hop back in elementary school either...
i love elton john too. forgot to mention him i think.

my school is so boring. we have a week in the beginning of january called catholic schools week. pretty much a week of fun and games. and they did decades day one time. my class was assigned 1940s, which didn't thrill me at all. hahahaha

APRena

Reaction score
Aside from what other people've said (old sitcoms/music, any era), I've found this series of fairytale videos on Youtube--the gruesome, non-Disnefied fairytales, accompanied by Monty-Python-meets-Tim-Burton animation, also narrated by Rik Mayall, circa late 80s.

Do you have any idea how many things in that sentence made me *squee* with joy? Sigh. I love you, England. Thank God For YouTube.

Kiki

Reaction score
I tend to get nostelgic over TV shows that I haven't seen for a long time, but I'm not sure whether that counts. I definately get all nostelgic over music, because there are so many bands out there that I love that are great at capturing a vibe of... something I haven't lived through, really, but what I can feel. Guh, it's hard to explain. x__X Same thing happens when I see concert footage, it's weird. Same goes for movies: I'm a big fan of the "golden age" of Hollywood stuff, but I also love movies of the 70's and 80's (I like a lot of obscure stuff, but I'm also a huge fan of more well-known movies. For example, I'm a big Spielberg fan).

I wish I wasn't so vague right now so I could expand my response. Will be more specific when I gather my thoughts properly.

Aside from what other people've said (old sitcoms/music, any era), I've found this series of fairytale videos on Youtube--the gruesome, non-Disnefied fairytales, accompanied by Monty-Python-meets-Tim-Burton animation, also narrated by Rik Mayall, circa late 80s.

Do you have any idea how many things in that sentence made me *squee* with joy? Sigh. I love you, England. Thank God For YouTube.
Oh my lawd, I've NEVER seen that before! it's fantastic. :big_grin: great find!

Rose

Reaction score
A lot of my all time faves started before I was born. I think that was beceause I have older siglings and I was the youngest of five. I Simply adore the british actor Jack Wild.
I like shows like HR Pufnstuf, The World Of Sid and Marty Krofft, Early Henson stuff, The Banana Splits I still love that show, Hannah Barbarah, stuff people just don't talk about anymore if you knwo what I mean. :smile: lol

This is just a thread idea I came up with for those of us who enjoy the music, movies, TV, etc. that came out before we were born. Feel free to talk about any favorite retro bands/singers, actors, etc. or tell of any experiences that happened to you involving any of this. Please try not to turn this into another "Let's complain about modern stuff!"-type thread.